Friday, September 6, 2019

Grace without glory ----------

  

The storm has passed. Hurricanes batter and damage for days and this one
 is no different as it crawls along the east coast.

We, further inland in North Carolina, were fortunate this time with nothing more
than torrential rain for many hours and wind gusts late last night. I admit, sleep
was a long time coming for me!
No power outages in our neighborhood but many are without south and east of us. 
This morning the sun is already shining. Small debris from trees will be cleaned up 
as they dry out - thank you Bob - and I will return all the possible flying projectiles,
now stored in the potting shed, back in position on the front porch, back deck and gazebo. 

Our thoughts and prayers are now with those still in Dorian's path along the coast, 
and those who have been damaged or injured. The latest news from the
Bahamas is heartbreaking with so many people missing and unbelievable damage
to the islands.



I walked into the back garden and was surprised by this beauty. 
Just one flower on the start of a white Rose of Sharon tree.  
In a pot, planted by a garden bird, not me!
Nature's beauty always phenomenal - but her wrath can be so cruel.


I immediately felt the connection. This is the book I've just finished reading. 
It too was a huge surprise. 
Picked up at the Dollar Store as the cover looked interesting.

What a story of a place I'd never heard of. . . . . in a country that has known terrible
times.  Who knew that massive ships must eventually die, or the horrendous 
story of their dangerous disposal which kills, maims, and impacts the health
of so many.

 A fabulous, but often gut-wrenching, read. 
Powerful writing. 
A history.
A love story like no other.
This one goes on the shelf with my special books, the ones I will read again
 when life is quiet and I have nowhere to go.



10 comments:

  1. I must check this book out. So glad the storm is passed you with no damage and a beautiful flower to celebrate the day. Oh those birds do leave us gifts sometimes.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Dear Mary,
    it’s early Saturday morning in the Colonies!
    I’m so happy to read this post and know that you are both safe and that Raleigh missed the worst of Dorian’s bite.
    Your book sounds interesting and I’ve added it to my list… thank you! I’m selective with what I read now!
    Love your Rose of Sharon, the name has more meaning than ours… Hibiscus! I might just have room for another pot!
    Enjoy your weekend!

    ReplyDelete
  3. So glad nothing dramatic happened to you or in your area!
    The book sounds intriguing, I have never heard of the author.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Is that a Hibiscus, Mary? I havent heard it called a Rose of Sharon before. We had so many when we lived in France, beautiful flowers.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, Barbara, a member of the hibiscus family and often pruned to one trunk as a small tree which can reach round 10 feet.
      Mary -

      Delete
  5. I'm so glad the storm passed you by, but oh, the photos of the devastation in the Bahamas are heartbreaking. An interesting sounding book from your description - will look it up. What a lovely bit of grace that Rose of Sharon is.

    ReplyDelete
  6. So glad to hear you're safe but even the storms you had sound wicked. I'm going to look up that book; thank you for telling us about it.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I am glad you made it through the storm. Your rose of Sharon is a beauty.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Sounds like an interesting book. Glad to hear you fared well. The devastation in the Bahamas is just awful.

    ReplyDelete

I would enjoy reading your comment - thanks so much for stopping by.