Thursday, January 13, 2011

Cheese heaven.................


Like the majority of Brits, I'm a true lover of cheese............in all its many disguises, hard for grating, creamy for spreading, and every tasty morsel in between.  Perhaps this is the reason for those few extra pounds which refuse to budge.  What the heck, life must include some culinary pleasures..........mine is definitely cheese.

Growing up, one of my fondest memories is of my father coming home late in the evening from his work and having his 'cheese and biscuits' before bed.  Doesn't sound too healthy scoffing back a big chunk of mature Cheddar, several heavily buttered Jacob's Cream Crackers, with a generous spoonful of tasty Branston Pickle chutney on the side, at 11PM..............and then turning in for the night!  But that's what he loved and I must have his cheese gene.



These have to be two of my favorites.  Stilton, made only in the northern counties of Leicestershire, Derbyshire and Nottinghamshire, and a matured Cheddar from my own area down south, the West Country. Thankfully, good old COSTCO is also into quality cheeses.  They must have sent someone shopping across the pond just for me.............because these gorgeous cheeses were waiting at my local store just in time for the holidays!

Yes, even my Dad would have approved.  Bring out the crackers and chutney, time to indulge in England's best.

Do you have a favorite cheese?  


16 comments:

  1. We often have cheese and crackers with fruit for dinner but it's a lot earlier in the evening. I love Brie especially if it has a topping. We only have Sam's Club here but I'm sure they carry some good cheeses. We also have Fresh market and they are great for getting a smaller amount of different types. Have a great day Mary.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Good Morning Mary,
    I love English Stilton and Triple Cream Brie....I could eat chesse morning noon and night.
    Hugs,
    Penny

    ReplyDelete
  3. I have never met a cheese that I didn't like! I don't think I could ever have a favorite. Carla

    ReplyDelete
  4. Your dad's bedtime snack may not have been extremely healthy, but I'm with him....cheese, butter and crackers are one of my favorite food combinations....and the English pickle is good too; I had some in Warwick and loved it.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Costco definitely finds some nice cheeses. I bought a creamy camembert at Christmas that was very good. Cheese, crackers, and chutney are a lovely snack no matter when.

    ReplyDelete
  6. My favourite cheese is Wensleydale, because I live so near to the creamery that makes it. I don't eat it though as I must keep my weight down and, as you say, it adds pounds moe quickly than anything I know.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Oh...I love them all, Mary. I've always wanted to have a wine and cheese tasting party! Sounds like fun, doesn't it? Do you butter your crackers, too, like your father? Just wondering if that adds to the flavor...

    XO,
    Jane

    ReplyDelete
  8. Just tucking into some Brie, Goats cheese, and Cheshire with cranberries, yummy!!!

    ReplyDelete
  9. I love cheese, too. That's the reason I couldn't go all the way to being vegan. Vegetarian, yes, but I have to have cheese!

    xo
    Claudia

    ReplyDelete
  10. Mary, I too am a cheese lover!! I love all kinds of cheese. My latest snack has been wonderful apple slices with sharp cheddar cheese-just yummy!

    ReplyDelete
  11. What a lovely treat from Costco, Stilton & Cheddar!
    I've always loved cheese too, my Nana used to say that it would give me nightmares if I ate some for supper but I don't think it ever did.
    If I had to choose a favourite it would be a crumbly white Lancashire with slices of Granny Smith on the side.

    ReplyDelete
  12. I've never met a cheese I didn't love. But, I can't eat those "fake" processed cheeses.

    I've never had chutney with cheese, but it sounds delicious. I'll have to try it.

    I hope to see you for Pink Saturday tomorrow.♥

    ReplyDelete
  13. I first met Stilton at a party hosted by the British exchange officer when we were posted with the US air force (Canadian exchange) at Tinker AFB. The Stilton was the largest cheese I'd ever seen - a whopping wheel with pride of place in the middle of a table. It was wonderful!

    ReplyDelete
  14. I think that I can eat just about any cheese, even the stinky cheese we ate when I was little in Germany! That stuff smelled soooo bad.
    Take Care,
    Ulrike

    ReplyDelete
  15. I'm much more familiar with french cheese, my favourite is strong camembert, but I will try and find some english too.....

    ReplyDelete

I would enjoy reading your comment - thanks so much for stopping by.