Tuesday, March 5, 2019

Not all . . . . . . .


. . . . . . is doom and gloom today.

Last post was a bit dark. Now we all need something cheery 
to end the day. The cold night will creep in and the garden will be 
camouflaged in cast off white shower curtain liners and a
 couple of old sheets in my fight against the deep freeze
harming the hydrangeas.
 I doubt even the deer will stop by tonight to nibble the pansies!

Yesterday on a vegetable run to the grocery - we are doing a no-carbs
week to kickstart our spring wellness effort to lose a few pounds - 
I also bought flowers. It's a mixed bunch to which I've added a few 
of my daffodils and sprigs of blossom.
They are pretty and brighten up the dining room where only a 
smattering of welcomed sunshine made it through the windows today.




Of course today is Shrove Tuesday. I would have loved a plateful of
traditional English pancakes.
These are from two years ago as last year I was really far from my
 kitchen - on an expedition ship rounding Cape Horn heading for
 Patagonia and Chile!

Today I refrained from mixing up the simple batter with all those carbs - it was
 really hard, especially as 'pancake day' brings back lovely childhood memories.
Mother made the best ones. . . . . . . and for some reason we had no idea as to
 what carbohydrates were back then. We just beat the batter, let it rest for a while,
then poured it into the frying pan, flipped, folded or rolled, squeezed,
those sunshiny lemons, sugared dusted, and gobbled them up while piping hot!
Of course back then running off to play in the garden afterward probably kept
 us trim and healthy. Remember those days?

More on the vegetables and what's cooking in my kitchen later.

12 comments:

  1. If it had been me, I guess I would not have started going no- (or low-)carb the same week as Pancake Day - I would have enjoyed the pancakes and then started the diet on the next day.
    Those flowers really do brighten up the place, as yellow and white always do. Lovely!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, really missed such sweetness - but proud we didn't cheat!

      Delete
  2. We enjoyed our pancakes last evening, eaten with lemon and a little sugar....but I prefer maple syrup!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I enjoy maple syrup too, especially the unadulterated kind straight from the tree, boiled until thickened, no chemicals. We used to go to 'sugaring off' when I first lived in New England years back.

      Delete
  3. Ha, Great minds think alike, as my mother used to say. This year, first time ever, we also decided to forego the pancakes on Shrove Tuesday - in the interests of trying to reign in the carbs and calories, and trim ourselves down for our next long holiday. Your flowers are so pretty, and I love the idea that your daffodils are blooming. Our Summer-parched garden actually produced a little rose today, what a triumph!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Let's trim down together Patricia - always good to head out on a trip knowing you can splurge on goodies when you get there!

      Lovely that have roses coming in now - hoping some showers will help.

      Delete
  4. What a pretty arrangement. We have sunshine here today, but very cold!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Night was cold but today not bad right now - 42F and lots of sunshine.
    Will cover the hydrangeas again tonight though!
    Deer did arrive in the night despite the freeze - ate two of the first tulip blooms and some pansies - they like the white ones apparently!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I'd love to hear what you're doing with the vegetables! We eat a ton of veggies (and fruit)...I really try to limit the meat. Like my doctor said (who is vegan), if you're going to eat meat, at least make vegetables the "star" and make the meat the accompaniment. I know you're a pescatarian - and a great cook - so I'm really looking forward to seeing what you did with the veggies. I need some new ideas. PS - the pancakes look delish!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Reigning in those carbs is difficult. I'm on the same path. Tonight's fare was a lovely pureed soup using up some of the vegetables in the fridge and a lettuce wrap with more veggies. I would love to garner more vegetable ideas!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Aaagh! Such weather wars. My pancakes are probably low in carbs and come from the dreaded Weight Watchers. I have two versions. One is just an egg beaten to death with a mashed banana (or substitute an equal amount of pureed vegetable). The second is much the same but with an added tablespoon of self-raising flour. No lemon juice and sugar for my chunky waistline. Top with lots of yoghurt and fruit. A little practice. A little spice. You're a good cook so experiment with this. Yes, they are Saturday staples here (although the sneaky hot cross buns are rising in popularity lately).

    ReplyDelete
  9. Your pancakes look delicious! They make me hungry for some crepes.
    I love your idea of buying a mixed bunch of flowers and then adding the daffodils from your garden. Since my daffodils are just beginning I will be doing that too. I love having a bouquet or two in the house all year long. Sometimes in the mixed bunch some flowers last longer than others; so it is fun to mix things up taking out the ones no longer good and adding something else. An ever changing bouquet.

    ReplyDelete

I would enjoy reading your comment - thanks so much for stopping by.