Tuesday, March 12, 2019

The Jacket. . . . . . . .



After the recent post about skirts, it only seemed right to start thinking about jackets.
Heavier, longer coats will soon be stored - sad for me a true coat lover - and with
 often still cool days coming during the weeks of springtime, a jacket of some type
 may be required to fend off those chilly breezes.  


My favorites include these traditional styles. The tummy/hip covering straight cut,
 blazer-style jacket. Whether single or, for me being tall, double-breasted, this
 is a classic. Always comfortable, flattering, and great with a tailored trouser or skirts,
  even jogger type bottoms for a more casual, everyday look. . . . . but forget the 
heels, for me a leather sneaker, tasselled loafer or laced up oxford definitely!
 Worn over a tailored shirt, softer blouse, lightweight sweaters, even a tee shirt, this
style jacket can take you anywhere.


A black jacket, also in a classic cut and perhaps a little more fitted if being worn for 
evening, especially with a tuxedo trouser, is a useful jacket to have at the ready for
many occasions. Worn with either a tailored trouser or skirt it's a go-to formal outfit
 for those lesser welcomed but inevitable times in life. It can also be worn with
 everyday pants in any color, and even jeans for a casual look.


What about leather jackets? Do you have one?  
Mine is a similar style one to this red one - which is actually faux leather from Zara. 
This 'fabric' has come a long way, is made of polyester and is actually
 machine washable, amazing!  Often hard to tell from the real thing, this is perhaps
 the answer if you tend to shy away from wearing real leather.
My own real leather jacket is black, collarless which is less bulky and doesn't have
 the motorcycle look, and is perfect to show off that scarf collection we all have, right?
  Love this red with the black pinstripe trouser, and of course it will easily go with
 formal or casual bottoms.

All jackets from Zara

For many gals the basic casual look always comes back to the 
denim jean jacket. Personally I do not and have never owned one!
Although I'll don a blue jean now and then (but have never found 
the 'perfect' comfortable pair so they go to the thrift shop often), this style 
is just not me. 

Will you be shopping for a jacket this spring?  
My closet is pretty full - and yes I have been working on downsizing - so I may skip
 another jacket this coming season.
As for those coats I mentioned, I do have one I will wear even after the heavy
ones are stashed in their moth-proof bags and pushed to the back of the closet.
It's my Eileen Fisher linen 'duster' coat. . . . . . grey linen, loose cut with a shawl collar,
big sleeves I can roll up, back kick slit. I love throwing on this coat with pants or a
midi skirt. Add a cross body bag, stick my hands in the deep pockets and off I go.

Here in the southeast we usually have hot weather come April so jackets are not 
often required in springtime. This year may be different though with the dreadful 
weather we've had recently . . . . . . . . we seem to be wearing rain jackets mostly.
That's another fashion story perhaps!

Wishing you a great week.


6 comments:

  1. Hi Mary thanks for your lovely comment on my blog! I noticed a lot of changes had taken place on Blogger since I was last here which was a bit unnerving but gladly you're still here. Yes that was Beacon Cove in my picture, I love it when no-one else is there, it feels like a little secret beach! Talking of jackets, it's great to find one that feels right. I've still held on to an ancient denim jacket (in good condition!) that comes out occasionally when I'm wearing a cotton skirt in the summer! xx

    ReplyDelete
  2. If I pay attention around here, I may gain some fashion sense. I do have several jackets, but no favorite. Take a selfie the next time you wear that outfit you described...would love to see it. And may your coming spring be a delight.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I have a red leather jacket that I bought while in Italy several years ago. I do have a denim one and love to ear it as well.

    ReplyDelete
  4. My pick is the black jacket a classic “go anywhere” style!
    I would wear it for evening too with an oyster silk collarless blouse and some bling!
    I already have a few similar jackets in my wardrobe that I haven’t worn for a couple of years - they will go to the Hospice shop!
    Like you I love winter coats and have several, but I only wear one on the odd occasion as Auckland winters are not so cold. I bought a lovely camel coloured long puffer type jacket in Brisbane a couple of years ago and this is the perfect weight!
    Mary, I love these fashion posts of yours, they get me thinking about what I need for the new season (and what can go)!
    I hope you received my long email… apologies for my tardiness!
    Much love
    Shane🧚‍♀️⭐️✨💫

    ReplyDelete
  5. Good morning Mary,

    Thank you for your thoughtful comments on my last blog post. I hope that you were able to get a seat at the bookshop to see Francis Mayes, I am a big fan of her books. As you love to travel and you love books I wonder if you know that there is a bookshop, I believe in Scotland, that you get to "run/work at" for your vacation. I cannot remember where I last read about it but it did sound like a fun adventure.

    I love coats, jackets and all outwear. I have Barbour jackets, down coats and all sorts of winter weather gear and this year I hardly had the change to wear anything because we never had snow or really cold weather.

    Have a great day!

    ReplyDelete
  6. We wear coats for so much of the year that it only makes sense to have a variety of them! I've never been comfortable in a blazer style and find that I lean towards safari-type jackets or shorter moto jackets. I can see you really wearing a blazer well with your elegant style. Our weather is finally warming up - we should hit the high teens (celsius) this weekend, which is warmer than usual. I won't complain a bit.

    Your fashion posts are always so much fun.

    ReplyDelete

I would enjoy reading your comment - thanks so much for stopping by.