Wednesday, December 19, 2018

The Christmas 'pud' and other morsels -




I love a good homemade English Christmas pudding just like my dear mum used
 to make. It's a lot of work and should be steamed a month or more prior to 
Christmas Day then re-heated for the traditional dessert. . . . . . along with little
 individual mince pies and lots of rum or brandy butter, yum!
I didn't make a 'pud' this year, finding instead an imported one from England at
 World Market. Hopefully it will taste good. I will however be making and baking
 my own mince pies a little closer to Christmas Eve.


At World Market I also picked up this jar of English Christmas Preserve made
 with plums, port and silver stars. Very pretty, plummy and delicious!
This morning I was up early and made buttermilk biscuits - one each for
 breakfast, the remainder stashed in the freezer for later.



Well away now from Christmas reds and thought of tasty food. I'm off to plant
 my last batch of daffodils and jonquils awaiting in the potting shed. . . . . . . . before
 days of rain yet again. These will go under the fig tree and hopefully bloom come Springtime.

Enjoy this busy run up to Christmas week.


11 comments:

  1. We like Christmas pudding very much. And that jar plum preserve looks delicious as do your scones on that gorgeous red plate.

    Wishing you a very Happy Christmas. Enjoy the countdown...
    Brenda

    ReplyDelete
  2. Have never tasted Christmas pudding. I may be missing something good. Odd, too, since so many of the family hails from England. Oh well. Glad that you were able to find some and I hope that it is almost as good as your own. Love your very Christmasy photos.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Very patriotic doing that but I would think getting one from M7S here in the UK would be more like it. My wife make superb mince pies useing Tesco's fiest mincemeat, we also have one of their Christmas puds because we really like them. Merry Christmas

    ReplyDelete
  4. I have never had Christmas pudding. That plum preserve looks yummy! Have a Merry Christmas Mary. Hugs to you and Bob.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I like the look of your scones on the red plate; they are so tempting!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Oh my, Mary...those scones. And the jam looks delicious. I'm wondering what the silver stars are, though.
    I hope you enjoy the next few days left 'til Christmas,]. Busy, busy.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Deb, the tiny silver stars are made of something edible. . . . . . .they look really pretty in the rich plum/port jam!
      Enjoy your 'busy' and then relax!
      Happy Christmas.

      Delete
  7. One of us really enjoys Christmas Pudding and the other one detests it. It's the detest one who makes things, so the other one is out of luck! Plum preserves made with silver stars? Sounds beautiful. Buttermilk biscuits are the best!
    Enjoy your countdown to Christmas. I'm mostly counting down to Friday when school is out. Why we go so late is a mystery!

    ReplyDelete
  8. ahhh. your photos are amazing...magazine worthy, really.
    Merry Christmas

    ReplyDelete
  9. Beautiful photos, Mary. The Christmas preserve looks so delicious, I will seek something similar. We have family coming to stay a few days for the Season. I have made an English Christmas pudding, boiled in a cloth to the old family recipe - in fact only learnt to do this after my children grew up, because until then my late mother-in-law always made one for us all! Must say yours does look very appealing too. The buttermilk biscuits look delicious too - it is not a recipe we see in Australia, but I enjoy them when travelling to America.

    ReplyDelete
  10. SO, how was the pud? I didn't ahve any this year as no one to enjoy it with who likes it - not even my kids like it even though I tried my bet to help them along there. Ha. Well, that is, I also bought ones every now and then when able to find them. The Christmas Preserve sounds utterly incredible. Yum. (Hmmm... methinks I do rather say that too much around your "home" here, don't I?!)

    ReplyDelete

I would enjoy reading your comment - thanks so much for stopping by.