Thursday, January 9, 2020

January notes. . . . . .


The first week of a new January is long gone already. 
This month brings mixed blessings, including a tidy (although not yet spiffy clean) 
house after 'un-decking the halls' and packing away the storage boxes. 
No, I didn't get rid of much after all and, if blessed, with Bob's assistance,
will be able to drag them out again eleven months from now.
Time was also set aside for a haircut and a doctor appointment. 
Hair shorter again, torn rotator cuff surgery moved to the back burner!


The leaves are down and raked and the garden is sleeping. For a while
  no real work required in the cold mornings. . . . .other than to make sure
the feeders are filled and the bird baths not frozen.
The Carolina wrens are chirping merrily on the front porch today, 
the squirrels are back and forth drinking from the fountain in the sunshine.


Puff pastry Granny Smith apple tart - baked yesterday and shared with my neighbors.
When checking the photo I wondered about the dark flecks then realized
they were ground allspice added along with a pinch of cinnamon to the sliced apples.
Top was brushed, after the bake, with apricot jam laced with a couple 
of teaspoons of regular old cognac as I'm out of Calvados (apple brandy) 
called for in the recipe.


Cooking and baking take up much of my stay-at-home days. 
Along with the tart, I also roasted a pan of butternut squash, parsnips and 
potatoes, sauteed a mix of mushrooms, and made a pot of spicy
  Coconut Sweet Potato Lentil Soup with Rice (from the amazing
 Teighan Gerard at Half Baked Harvest).
This is delicious served just as a healthy soup with a small portion of Basmati rice, 
but I like serving it as a 'stew' over more rice with extras alongside such as the 
roasted veggies and mushrooms. Tuck in a lightly toasted brushed 
with melted butter naan, and you have a one bowl delicious meal.
Comfort food at its best.

Organizing this precious life uses up the rest of my time - which of course
 I never seem to have enough of!


Three pretty flowers out today, one more to open. . . . . . . but wait, there's more!  
Another stem shooting up from the bottom with a healthy bud so perhaps more to come.
Meanwhile the second bulb now pushing taller, opening and displaying four lovely
 buds also!
Looks like I hit the jackpot with these delightful Apple Blossom amaryllis.

I received some beautiful Christmas cards as always.
The one which delighted my heart was this one 
from my cousin's dear daughter in England.
Very simple, with lovely Christmas greetings inside,
and the sales proceeds benefitting two worthwhile
 charities according to the back of the card.
English robins are very different from American robins.
Small, chubby and quick, whilst ours here are large and 
slow, often standing stationary as if listening to the ground 
 beneath them and wondering what's hidden there. . . . . hoping 
for a juicy worm to pop up perhaps!

Where do your holiday cards end up? I cut up many of mine, trim
with deckle edged scissors held onto from my scrapbooking days,
and recycle as gift tags for next Christmas - punch a hole add a
 pretty ribbon or string, perfect.

JANUARY days can be slower and there is time to catch
up with friends. . . . . . . .which I will do today. 
I do have lists, held by an array of refrigerator magnets from travel
 times to colorful places around the world. You know, those TO DO lists
with projects, wishes and dreams. Some will eventually be addressed, 
others may just have to remain dreams!

Enjoy this January day dear friends.
As always I appreciate your visit here.


12 comments:

  1. Mary, your post is delightful. I enjoyed catching a glimpse of a bit of this and that from your January days so far.

    Thank you!
    Brenda

    ReplyDelete
  2. Mmmm... your food always sounds and looks sooo good! I am hungry now, thinking of your butternut roast.
    Our robins here are the same as in England. On the Christmas cards I received this year, several beautiful birds featured, not just robins but also others. I keep my cards usually for a year, and when Christmas time comes round again, sort through them and decide which ones to put under the glass cover of my desk for decoration, while the new arrivals gather on the sideboard. Your idea of making gift tags of them is great - I think I'll try that next time!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh, yum! Your food photos are magazine worthy and sound so healthy and delicious.
    I am now wishing that I had planted an amaryllis before Christmas. Yours is gorgeous. Love the colors.
    I receive one Christmas card from England every year. Often it features that adorable chubby robin. I have kept most of them as they are too lovely to toss. I keep my very favorites in a box that I pull out and look at during the holiday season.
    Happy New Year, Mary.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Robins have figured large on cards this year, along with red postboxes for some reason!
    I like to make tags with the cards too, it is such a shame to throw them all away.

    ReplyDelete
  5. There’s a lot here to hmmmmm over, including tarts and those gorgeous amaryllis plants. I seem to sleep a lot in January. What else is there to do? Oh, I could cook and bake as you are doing.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I saved many of my Christmas cards ... and now I know exactly what to do with them! Thank you for inspiring me.

    ReplyDelete
  7. It's January 10th already. The days are just flying by. I manage to stay busy with all there is to do or I want to do any given day. Have started a running of list of things I'd like to accomplish; write them down as they pop into my head, review often, tick off when done. I noticed that one of the bulbs I thought were goners has a little green shoot so perhaps it will return after all. :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. I love the tart, the vegetables and this cute card! I donate the covers of my cards to the local nursing home where they use them for crafts.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Your chatty post is delightful on this wet and windy morning. I like January for its slower days. It's as if everything takes a deep breath and relaxes a little. I save my Christmas cards and use them as you do, as gift tags, or bookmarks. Your apple tart looks amazing, as does your plateful of healthy vegetables! I know you are enjoying that beautiful amaryllis - do you smile when you walk by it? Have a wonderful weekend, dear Mary. Love to Bob, too.

    ReplyDelete
  10. What a lovely, chatty post ~ I really enjoyed reading this! I remember the problems with your shoulder, but didn't realize you needed surgery. You must be in a lot of pain. Did you put the surgery on the back burner or did the doctor?

    Your food always looks so delicious. It's good to know someone else spends a lot of time preparing food/making meals, too. Sometimes I feel like the only one that is always planning meals, shopping and then spending a lot of time in the kitchen. It's worth our health though, isn't it?

    Your Christmas card with the chubby little robin is one of the cutest cards I've seen! I do save my extra pretty ones to use for homemade Christmas cards (says the great procrastinator who always says she's going to make a few every year and somehow never does), otherwise the other cards go in the recycling bin.

    Hope you have a good weekend. We're in for a winter storm here in IL!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Dear Mary,
    Yes you did hit the jackpot with your Amaryllis. All of your cooking and baking looks so delicious. So wholesome and worth the time and energy you put into your meal.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Yes, always lists! Hope your shoulder heals itself. Lovely idea for Christmas cards. What wonders you cook, it looks delicious! That tart looks gorgeous and yummy. Love the robin red bread card too. Take care!

    ReplyDelete

I would enjoy reading your comment - thanks so much for stopping by.