Tuesday, March 10, 2020

Bedrooms and Birdies!


Still working on the bedroom, have to get it totally 
back together before posting any photos.
I've been framing some art to hang. Bob continues to edit
his stuff and load up his dresser drawers again!
Still waiting installation of new window blinds and
rehanging drapery panels.



Worked in the garden yesterday, a total of two hours before my lower back
 screamed "STOP", so I did rather than be in pain the remainder of the day.
At this age we know our limits!
 Beautiful day to be outside, dead headed the hydrangeas
 and daffodils, pruned climbing roses, cleaned out and filled bird feeders, 
pulled and clipped some annoying ivy, and picked up a lot of fallen twigs.

Then there was the birdhouse annual clean out ready for a new 
generation of renters this spring.
  Bob lifted it off the post and when we removed the top we were amazed, 
and thrilled, to find each of the five birdie apartments contained a nest - I 
believe two were Eastern bluebirds, the others perhaps White-breasted
 nuthatches whom I've often seen around the birdhouse in spring and summer.
Besides much grass, some twigs, and handfuls of leaves from
the Japanese acer, there were also a lot of grey and white feathers
 and a few strips of plastic woven into the nests. Just amazing how those
 little birds fit so much through those 1-1/2 inch holes. . . . . . and then
construct such soft, comfortable nests.



Magnolia liliiflora still blooming - green leaves starting to open also.
Despite all the work, I have to admit I do love my garden. . . . . and
of course my beautiful birds.

8 comments:

  1. What a wonderful spring-themed post!
    I'd love to have a garden, too, but my living situation does not allow for one right now. Maybe when I retire, and if I move somewhere else then (which is by no means certain)...
    Magnolia trees are so glamorous, aren't they! I am waiting for the ones in my street to open up, won't be long I think.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You should try a garden some day Meike - I think you would enjoy planting flowers and pretty shrubs as I know you love to be out in natural areas and hiking through landscapes. Retirement brings more time to participate in new endeavors - but it also keeps one very busy and makes you wonder how you ever had time to actually go to work!
      Hugs - Mary

      Delete
  2. Oh! I can't wait for spring! I can't wait to be able to start my little vegetable garden. It's still going to be a little while for us though. I love the filter you used on your photos!

    ReplyDelete
  3. A beautiful prelude to spring in your photos and words. How sweet to find the nests in the birdhouse. Love the watercolour effect on all your photos.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Dear Mary,
    It looks promising.

    ReplyDelete
  5. The magnolia blooms are so beautiful. They keep cropping up on Instagram.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Beautiful, painterly pictures. Yes, gardens are a delight eventhough they are work. Glad you listened to your body when it was time to stop and rest.

    ReplyDelete

I would enjoy reading your comment - thanks so much for stopping by.