Saturday, March 14, 2020

Weekend odds and ends -


Another weekend, and this one has started off well with sunshine and 
warm temperatures.
A robin has been sitting on the head of a garden statue outside the window 
for over 10 minutes, singing non-stop. He stopped as some dog walkers
passed the house but didn't fly off, then just puffed up and started his melody
again. . . . . . . such a lovely sound early in the morning.


 I'm kitty sitting for the coming week as Nala's person, our neighbor, is heading to Maine. 
Nala is easy to care for and, as it's warm, I'll be putting her out in the screened porch 
during the daylight hours which makes her a happy cat. . . . . . . . she'll be watching
plenty of these critters below. . . . . . . . 


. . . . . . . .in my back garden yesterday, this female squirrel made short order of
 the only suet cake I had left - note to self, buy more if/when I go shopping again!


My 'snowdrops' are in full bloom now.
These are actually Leucojum aestivum 'Summer Snowflake", member
of the Amaryllis family of bulbs. Thankfully deer resistant hardy perennials.


I baked a loaf last evening so had good toast and marmalade for breakfast today. 
Can't say there's really anything I enjoy more to start my weekend morning - a good 
slice of crunchy toast with butter. . . . . and of course thick cut Scottish marmalade.

Stay well, be happy, and enjoy your weekend.
Other than taking our neighbor to the airport later,
I think we'll be staying close to home.



9 comments:

  1. Never heard of that Marmalade, it is not one we have on the shelves here. BTW I live near Oxford where the worse cases are at the moment I certainly don't worry about getting it more about my son who has MS and has to go out to visit with his work in different constructionist sites. It's the panic buying bugs me how much loo paper do people need

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm sure you must know James Keiller Dundee Marmalade Bill - estab. 1797 - and used to come in those lovely antique/vintage cream colored stone jars (I have one) which are very expensive now. I even recall it from my childhood! Of course Robertson's Golden Shred was a favorite too!
      I hope your son will stay well as well as you and all your family.
      Mary -

      Delete
  2. Even though I am not keen on marmalade, your breakfast looks delicious. And Nala is such a beauty! I am surprised your neighbour is flying; somehow I thought there were travel restrictions in place in the US.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. No restrictions yet on domestic flights. Neighbor flew last evening - airport almost empty - plane to Philadelphia had just a few passengers so travel is definitely light now that people are realizing this is a serious situation. Our entire school system is now closed down for the next two weeks at least!

      Delete
  3. I do love toast and marmalade, but it's a real treat when I have it. Enjoy looking after Nala while your neighbours are away. We are going away for a few days, too, but still staying on the Island.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Please take care dear but try to enjoy the trip away. We're not going far, haven't left the house this weekend but I do have a hair appt. tomorrow so will go to that then come right back home!

      Delete
  4. Those snow drops are beautiful! Have fun taking care of Miss Nala. She's so pretty. We just got home late last night from CA, so I'm just now catching up on blogs. My mom house sat for us and took care of our kitties while we were gone.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Toast and marmalade is great and what a cute cat!!
    Love from Titti

    ReplyDelete
  6. Dear Mary,
    My favorite early breakfast as well, followed by a healthy yogurt smoozie mid morning.
    Your photos are stunning.

    ReplyDelete

I would enjoy reading your comment - thanks so much for stopping by.