Thursday, March 19, 2020

Small mercies -




The kindness of the garden is still sharing spring flowers - thank you garden and 
Mother Nature.
This evening, when the season of spring officially starts, we will all have much on
 our minds which is worrisome, negative, and downright frightening. 
Everyone is offering thoughts on ways to get through this terrible time so I 
will not say anymore on this point. We all know what we need to be doing!

Instead, here are some things which have kept me busy this week.
I did some pruning, clipping the pulling in the back garden.
I took stock of the now messy potting shed - made myself a note to clean it 
out this coming week when the temperatures will be exceptionally warm.
I'm hoping to find a way to buy some plants to pot soon - one nearby 
garden center will be taking orders online and you can drive up and have 
your plants put in your car - something to consider.
Our food supply is running low on things like fresh produce - not sure
how to handle that right now other than get to a shop first thing in the morning 
before too many people are about.
I baked a lot of muffins this week (also two loaves of bread) to share with 
my neighbors - put them on their front steps, rang the bell with my elbow,
and stood in their yards within a good distance for a quick chat.



We had a raccoon visit the garden a few days ago - actually not this one
 whom I photographed a couple of years ago in the back garden - a smaller one, 
probably a female, who was under my azalea bushes.  
Bob had spent a good couple of hours out there mowing, trimming and blowing, 
but she didn't come out until I walked out there, sans camera or phone.
She looked healthy but perhaps tired from having her daytime sleep disturbed 
so just bypassed us silently and crossed the road into the wooded area. 
Don't see any babies here so maybe they are in the woods. There is a large owl 
in our trees this week - and they are predators of baby raccoons, so fingers
 are crossed!


Life definitely goes on - proven by a lot of bird activity in the garden. 
Before I could even take the now shriveled Boston ferns down from the porch
 (left up over winter for the Carolina wrens to sleep in nightly), a pair of 
House finches started building a nest!  I haven't the heart to stop them, 
especially as we need all the entertainment we can get now we're isolated
 at home, and watching their diligence creating that cozy spot for their 
coming family is amazing.


The somewhat dowdy little female does most of the nest building, but the more
colorful male always comes along and keeps watch whilst she's in the fern weaving
 the bits and pieces she carries back time and time again. It's day four of construction
 and now they get very upset if I try to look in the nest. They are messy birds so there
 will be plenty of cleaning of the porch - but what the heck we all need chores to keep 
us busy!



I'm still kitty sitting and plan to be until Nala's 'dad', my next door neighbor, gets home. 
He's due back tomorrow night IF his flight makes it. This morning I think she was 
missing him as she was snuggling up with his gardening shoes on the enclosed porch. 
I'm enjoying it because it gets me out of the house. . . . . . . I find myself going 
back and forth to see her even more times than really necessary!



Sending you best wishes - may you and your families, friends and neighbors stay well.

12 comments:

  1. What a lovely set of photos.The cat is a beauty.

    ReplyDelete
  2. That’s so sweet to go visit Nala more often. She really is a beauty. Hope that her dad is able to get home. (The thought of flying now...😣) And what a lovely neighbor to bake and share with your neighbors. Thanks for the good wishes...right back to you.

    ReplyDelete
  3. The current situation makes you feel vulnerable, but best foot forward and soldier on - we have no alternative. Good luck setting off to the shops early. That's what I did here this morning, I was there shortly after 8am, and could not believe just how full the car park was already when I arrived. You have the right idea - enjoy your flowers and birds, along with all that mother nature sends your way, but stay safe both of you.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Ooh, nature notes! Life goes on for the natural world.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Your bouquet of flowers is so beautiful. And you're so lucky you two are already working in your yard. Still too cold here to start any yard work. Good way to pass that time while we're all supposed to be self-quarantining as much as possible. I did run to store a couple of times this past week to get fresh produce. I scrubbed my hands before and after.

    That's very nice of you to bake and leave goodies for neighbors. I'm hoping to do some baking this weekend and I will share with my neighbor-friends down the street.

    Nala is such a pretty kitty. Hope her daddy gets back home safe and sound!

    ReplyDelete
  6. It's wonderful to have a yard and wildlife to entertain you any day of the year. Nature is what we all need in this crazy world. I sure hope there are lessons learned from this period in time. Take care of yourselves.

    ReplyDelete
  7. All the best to you, too, dear Mary!
    What Nala does with her "Dad's" shoes is something I remember from my old cat, after my husband died and before I collected all his clothes and things. She, too, snuggled up to his shoes that were still on the shoe mat below our coat hooks.
    You are so kind, baking bread for your neighbours!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Beautiful Spring flowers Mary and cute photographs of wild and domestic life !
    Because of ‘ you know what ‘, we have never done so much gardening this early in the year ! Our gardens will all be worthy of Chelsea ( which has been cancelled ! )
    Keep safe Mary. XXXX

    ReplyDelete
  9. Dear Mary,
    I love your beautiful spring bouquet. You have beautifully photographed it so that every little flower is a star. Here, it snowed again during the night and more to come.

    ReplyDelete
  10. What a lovely respite your post is this afternoon. Thank you, Mary.

    We're a long ways from that as it was still -14 last night, thankfully now only -8. But as you can see, no daffodils in their right might would be poking through the snowbanks just yet. So we're happy for glimpses of your world which is in full spring mode.

    Loved, loved that kitty posing on her owner's shoes. Awwww...so sweet. I hope your neighbour will get home safe and sound with as little stress as possible.

    I am so grateful for the many people I follow on blogs, Facebook, and Twitter who are doing so many lovely things online to buoy people's spirits. There is a community feeling that I've never seen quite like this on social media, because in truth we are all in this together, no matter where in the world we live. And people are really responding in kind.

    I'm keeping occupied with a decluttering/writing project -- I chat about it on my blog today. And hubby and I are staying close to home, to help flatten the curve, as they say.

    Wishing you grace for this season, Mary.
    Brenda xox

    ReplyDelete
  11. Dear, Mary— what a beautiful post and so welcomed against the craziness in the world right now. Here in Minnesota everything still looks like winter although I think we will have an early spring by our standards. 😊

    ReplyDelete
  12. I always love your beautiful pictures. Thanks for sharing the beauty around you.
    I haven't seen any raccoons in our yard lately, but I know they will come. They love hanging out in our big tree.

    ReplyDelete

I would enjoy reading your comment - thanks so much for stopping by.