Sunday, March 15, 2020

Sleeping comfortably in an uncomfortable time!




Some glimpses of the master bedroom makeover. . . . . . as promised.


Still working on the master bedroom makeover in this small 'cottage style' house.
 At last it's able to be used again now there's new furniture, bedding and
 lighting. . . . . . and Bob has at last put most of his stuff away! 
I lined my dresser drawers with pretty paper - he wanted no part of that!
This coming Wednesday the new window shades will be installed and then
 I can either rehang the linen drapery panels. . . . . . or could search for
 something new.  
I'm thinking the linen panels are fine and I'm not planning shopping 
anywhere for some time.


Above, a few things I've made over the years - and they will remain in the
bedroom - cushion covers and lampshades.  
This weekend I framed the original watercolor of a country barn scene I've had
for years in the attic - no I didn't paint it - in a black frame, and two small prints
 by a favorite British Printmaker & Painter Angela HardingDo check her amazing
 body of work if you are a nature lover, or even if you're not, you will be amazed
 at the beautiful bird and wildlife art she creates.


I bought this black/gold wood framed fern print at Hobby Lobby when shopping
 last week for frames and mats. It just caught my eye, was inexpensive
and perfect for the room.
The chair was one I painted and had upholstered in antique French linen
years ago - it's a favorite and moved here from the dining room where it
was hidden behind a door.
The matching black/green lamp bases are made from a pair of candlesticks,
and I also made those cute clip on shades - fabric is actually wedding gown 
heavy textured silk. I certainly would not have the patience - or eyesight -
required to sew these shades now!


This botanical print between glass with an aged black wood frame I moved 
from the living room. I've done a lot of 'shopping the house' rather than buy
all new for this room.


I love the taller dresser of this new furniture - being tall myself it just makes sense.
You can see the photo of me with my dear mother. Today marks 17 years 
since her death at age 91, an always and forever very sad day for me, 
but the memories are rich and full of the love we shared. Fortunately I arrived
 home in England to see her the day before she passed. She was the best, 
most talented woman I've ever known.
 The smaller of the two vintage silver lidded crystal powder bowls, was my
 mother's 21st birthday gift from her father in 1932 - a 'treasure' I treasure.


So now there's the question of these swirled silk shades I made years ago! 
 Can they stay? Can I do something to make them look a little less frou frou?  
I'm going to try because they are still quite lovely and are special to me, mostly
because my dear mother taught me how to make them when she came
to stay with me whilst I was recovering from cancer surgery a long time ago.
All the shades I've brought home from stores to try, just don't work for me!
There's really no way to change the trim around the top of each shade -
it's glued on and might tear everything if I try to remove it, but the base 
trim (gimp) on the lefthand shade I'm OK with. On the righthand shade,
fortunately the fancy bow trim at the base is stitched on. I can
 easily remove that and replace with similar plain gimp trim.
I'll see how it all works out.

I hope we can all stay in touch during this stressful time. No matter where 
in the world we are it seems we will all be struggling with exactly the same
 problems for some time. 
Here, our school system is closing down for at least two weeks as of
 tomorrow, creating a difficult time for parents. Retail is shrinking as shops lock
 their doors, and we all wonder how we'll fare regarding replenishing items from
 food to household necessities. If quarantined in our homes life will be much different.

But, chin up, hang in there. . . . . . there's much to keep us busy at home.
Most important, stay well, practice social distancing, listen to beautiful music,
sing like the Italians are doing, cook, bake, garden, read that stack of waiting
books. . . . . . . . . .and pray that hopefully this will pass very soon.
With love -

9 comments:

  1. Your lovely room is a mixture of elegance and cottage chic, Mary. So attractive.
    As are the lampshades, if they make you happy you shouldnt think of changing them.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Dear Mary, your bedroom is beautiful, and your must be thrilled with its new look. The pictures are all calm and soothing, and what a great idea to shop the house. I do this after Christmas most years, and love how a picture looks fresh in a new location. Never part with those cushions - they are absolutely gorgeous, and I sure would love to sew that fabric :) We are going through the same business re the pandemic, and have our Canadian grandchildren here visiting with our daughter, so extra fears on many levels. However, armed with sanitizers etc, we are off to the Gold Coast for a three day break and hope the salt sea and air will keep us healthy too! xox

    ReplyDelete
  3. The bit about your mother's powder bowl I found most touching - I try to keep such things, too. For instance, I have (and occasionally wear) the bracelet my Dad bought for my Mum when she was 16 and he was 18, and they started going out.

    I have yet to find out whether I am expected to go to the office tomorrow or not; today is my regular working-from-home day anyway, so not different to other Mondays. I shall go groceries shopping in a bit; no fresh food left in my kitchen, as I wasn't home since Friday afternoon.

    ReplyDelete
  4. PS: Of course I meant to say that you made-over bedroom looks beautiful! The fern print is lovely, and I like the idea to "shop the house" very much.

    ReplyDelete
  5. So pretty and elegant, Mary! I'd leave the lamp shades...they have so much loving meaning behind them.
    xoxo

    ReplyDelete
  6. Loving your idea of shopping your own home. It has come together so beautifully. Thanks for sharing with us. It is crazy here too and I need to grocery shop this week. Hoping if I go at 6:30AM the store will be clean and shelves restocked. I went to the pet store today for cat food and they were busy taking phone orders and loading them into cars for people. The restaurants nearby were closed. So sad to see this happening. Take care, dear friend. I will email you soon.

    ReplyDelete
  7. It’s a beautiful, elegant room. I sure hope the lampshades can stay...that pale pink against the dark walls looks so nice.

    ReplyDelete

I would enjoy reading your comment - thanks so much for stopping by.