Thursday, August 6, 2020

Coming soon -




Nothing special happening. . . . . . .other than Bob picking more figs and
placing another huge bowlful on the kitchen counter this morning!
These are going to an elderly handyman who has done work in our garden. 
He lives in the country and has often brought us sweet potatoes direct from
 the fields. North Carolina is the largest grower of that good for us vegetable - we
 grow more than the rest of the USA combined.
As he loves figs, we are doing our little bit to share the bounty.

Just picked!


I took this photo this morning, framing the house in my window so I can
compare it with whatever appears later!

Looking out my kitchen window I'm really sad.
Knowing that this cute smaller house may soon be gone is very upsetting.
I've pulled up the window blinds every morning for 34 years to this view.
Usually there was a car, or two - that driveway is wide enough to park two 
next to one another - and there were people coming and going, fortunately 
always nice people who made good neighbors.
Now the property is sold and the small house is doomed.

When the wrecking ball comes things will be so different. 
Once construction commences on a larger house, life will be dirty and noisy
for many months.
The surveyors came yesterday - next will be the sign down at the mailbox,
 one we are now seeing often around the neighborhood. . . . . . . . .

 ~  COMING SOON  ~

12 comments:

  1. I am so sorry about the house next door. Sending you good vibes that your new neighbors will be lovely.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Penny - it's going to be interesting!

    ReplyDelete
  3. It looks a really sweet little house, such a shame that it is to be demolished.

    ReplyDelete
  4. It looks like a sweet home, such a shame that it will be replaced. Just because change is inevitable, doesn't mean there is no cost. I hope you are blessed again with kind neighbors.

    ReplyDelete
  5. You write so compellingly that even I am filled with dread. 😳 I hope, whatever happens, that consideration for the neighborhood is given. That makes the most sense. Does the neighborhood have any say with town hall?

    ReplyDelete
  6. Dear Mary,
    Maybe the surveyors will determine that your neighbor's lot is not large enough for a new big house.
    I ate 3 figs yesterday (only 2 more left on the plant)...all from my little greenhouse tree. At the time I was thinking about your beautiful fig photographs which you posted the last few days.

    ReplyDelete
  7. It looks such a nice house, why anyone would want to demolish it is beyond me. Yes, dust, noise - you'll have to handle a lot of both once the work starts. Hopefully, at least they won't wake you up too early in the morning!

    ReplyDelete
  8. So sad Mary, and it looks as though it is quite close to you too. It's a dear little house.

    ReplyDelete
  9. What a fabulous bowl of figs - lucky recipient! How sad to lose the dear little house next door, and have a large construction. Can you plant a high hedge or something in between? Good neighbours are such a blessing, hope the new people are nice too. xx

    ReplyDelete
  10. I did not know that NC was the largest producer of sweet potatoes. We love them! I have two big ones sitting in a bowl on my counter right now. I plan on trying something new-to-us next time we grill; we're going to grill sweet potato wedges.

    How terrible that they're tearing down that beautiful small house to build one of those huge McMansions. The noise is going to drive you crazy for months, too. I'm so sorry.

    ReplyDelete
  11. It's such a pretty house. I hate it when houses get demolished and ugly new buildings take their place.

    ReplyDelete
  12. IT is so sweet. Perhaps the new place with be filled with a nice family who you will be able to enjoy and spend time with.

    ReplyDelete

I would enjoy reading your comment - thanks so much for stopping by.