Friday, August 14, 2020

Good neighbors!

 

I have a few dahlias at last!

Each morning I put on my ankle boots - to be safe from mosquitoes - and cross
 the damp grass to my 'currently traveling' neighbor's house.  
Nala awaits breakfast, a brush, a treat, and, if I'm lucky, there will soon be a
 cuddle as we move into week three . . . . . it takes her a while to get to
 that point! Later I return before dusk to do all that again. Sometimes I even pop back
 over around midday if I've left the door to the sunroom open for a few hours so she
 can have a change of scenery and watch the backyard birds.




Nala this morning.


Speaking of garden birds. . . . . . . . . 

Yes, I know one is not supposed to remove birds' nests and I never would disturb
 one whilst occupied. However, this cardinal's nest was recently vacated, a mom, dad
 and I think three babies, are now flying about, chirping happily in my back garden.

This nest was in a shrub by my neighbor's back deck - yes, the now 
silent deck attached to the empty house soon to be razed.
Many trees, and all the shrubbery, are certain to be removed once
work starts on the demolition and land grading. . . . . . so I 'rescued'
this sweet nest rather than see it crushed by the bulldozer.
Cardinals don't return to a used nest - next spring they will be 
constructing afresh for certain.


It's a spotlessly clean nest, carefully woven from dried twigs and grasses,
with several pieces of plastic added. . . . for waterproofing perhaps.
Nests are things of beauty and amazing architecture!


I then moved the nest here on the front porch 'nature table'.  
Almost immediately a very young, slightly ruffled, sweet Carolina wren showed up, 
stood on the nest and checked it out - too quick to get a photo but so cute to see.


Another week has gone and not much of interest has happened here.
I did go out yesterday to get my hair trimmed - still growing out my grey silver locks! 
It appears I will need to have half in inch of red chopped off every 5 weeks to keep
from looking really ratty! I no longer use any heat. Blow dryer, flat iron etc. all stored
away, natural waves are doing their thing, these days it's wash and go, which I have to 
admit I'm enjoying. My stylist says my grey is nice, not wiry, so hopefully some day
 I'll look 'presentable' again and be ready for travel, if we ever can, sigh!!!!


Hope your week went well and that you have a great weekend. . . . . 
ours may be stormy with some heavy rain and possible 
flooding in some areas.  

~ Take care - be safe ~


13 comments:

  1. Nala is such a beautiful girl. I always enjoy seeing her once again when she is in your care. So the neighbor's house is definitely going to be razed. Rats. I like the cardinal's nest. Good rescue.

    ReplyDelete
  2. We had a robin's nest on a porch lamp. We frightened mama many times going in and out but we/they had no problem. Surprisingly, Al was the one to save the nest and placed it in a little corner of the porch!

    I'd love to see you in your natural hairstyle. I've contemplated the same after zero coloring and cut from January to July. I may still go for this in the near future. It's liberating and I'm tired of the fuss!

    Sending love. 😘

    Jane

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thank you for posting pictures of beautiful Nala! I love the story about the rescued empty nest and the carolina wren checking it out.
    Your new hair will look great, once all the "old" red is gone, I am sure of that!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Nice to make the acquaintance of Nala, she looks a very wise cat. My neighbour's cat often comes to visit and last week, during a particularly hot da, the poor old thing was so exhausted as she lay there on the cool slabs in my backyard that I feared she might be dead. Only a slowly opening eye gave the game away. England has now returned to its normal cloud and drizzle.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Nala looks very satisfied with her second home. A friend who has quite a few horses gave me a tiny bird's nest which was made from long horse hairs. I do not know which bird made her tiny home though. It is so neatly woven. It is smaller than a wren's nest, so maybe a hummingbird's? Every Christmas I put it in my tree. I have read that if you bring a live tree in your home and it has a nest among the branches, that you will receive good luck. It may be cheating a little, but it's become a tradition.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Good afternoon Mary, the storms have been terrible this week, twice I have been stranded in the car while out doing errands. I do not mind getting wet but I do not want to be soaked and running in water up to my ankles. I love the birds nest, it is a beauty. I would loved to have seen the little bird visiting it. Today I was so thrilled, I saw the first hummingbird of the year here, a little late but it was a pleasure to see that cute little bird flitting around.

    The bugs are not too bad here, I don't know why with all of the rain. Once less thing to worry about. I love seeing your beautiful Nala, it is such a pleasure to have our sweet animals. They bring so much joy to our lives.

    As for the hair, I know that you look beautiful just as you are, don't worry about growing it out, you are beautiful just the way you are. It is nice not too have to style and straighten hair, I have been letting mine dry naturally as well during covid and I am enjoying not having to "deal with it", although I still have it colored.

    Have a wonderful evening my friend, enjoy the book, and stay safe from all of the rain.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Nala is very cute, and it's so nice of you to take care of her. I bet she must be lonely. Oh I don't use heat at all anymore on my hair either! Natural curls all summer! In the winter, I'm more interested in being warm so I blow it dry! That's a lovely spot for your nest! We found an old hummingbird nest, it was on the ground so I picked it up and placed it back into the tree. I doubt it'll be used again, I thought about what I could do with it as art...still thinking! :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. Nala is a beautiful cat. I understand about the mosquitoes, I have to 'bathe' in insect repellent whenever I venture into our backyard. Can't wait for cooler weather. It's been horrid this weekend.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Dear Mary,
    Your little nest is a work of art. No need to feel guilty. Your birds will make a new one when nature tells them. In the meantime the nest looks wonderful in its new home.

    ReplyDelete
  10. What a sweet nest. It looks great on your table. I know growing out your hair isn't a lot of fun, but when it is finally all silver you will love it!

    ReplyDelete
  11. I love the idea of a nature table, it reminds me of junior school, it certainly looks charming with the birds nest alongside the beautiful bird house. Nala looks like a very pampered pet, hope you get your cuddle soon.

    ReplyDelete
  12. What a spoilt cat! I would be the same though, grooming and fussing and hoping to be granted some acceptance and maybe the chance to stroke. The nest is so very pretty, I had one once but it eventually fell apart!

    ReplyDelete
  13. What a sweet Nala and sweet nest. Nice find on the nest and glad you rescued it.
    Good luck with the growing out of the silver. Some days I do just wash and dry, but some days I still use heat to dry. Right now it is so hot here (100) I think the wash and dry would work quite well.

    ReplyDelete

I would enjoy reading your comment - thanks so much for stopping by.