Sunday, August 2, 2020

Moving on with life - Summer garden bounty.




Last evening - the kitchen island!
Bob picked the figs Saturday afternoon - and has the mosquito bites to prove it!
Our neighbor, also a Bob, picked the tomatoes from his garden before leaving on a 
trip. A load of tomatoes as you can see - many of which I'm sharing with others today.
These two bowls of figs have gone to others also as I will have plenty coming
in the next couple of weeks. I'll also be harvesting more tomatoes whilst neighbor
 Bob is away and I'm minding his cat.
Sharing the bounty with others feels good. 
Making tomato sauce for the freezer will take time. Pesto will also be underway
 again this week - after the hurricane passes with hopefully no severe damage - as
 the basil plants are huge and need snipping.


Kitchen jobs have been keeping me busy whilst the concerns of what will be
 happening to the house next door have kept me wondering/worrying ------ but
 now we know!
It will be razed!
Yes, my long time neighbors moved out this weekend and we are feeling lonely.
We've now heard the buyers will start demolition of the house soon.
Their plan is to build in the $500,000-$750,000 range which means our little
 'cottage', and the cul-de-sac, will most likely be 'overwhelmed' by a mini-mansion. 

This is what's happening all around our neighborhood, but this will be the first
 such new construction on our street. We see many more larger homes coming - 
several houses on our street are owned by elderly people who moved here in
the late '60's when the subdivision was built - and they are still here even though
now in their nineties, bless them!

But none of us are here - or anywhere - forever of course.
The construction companies are waiting in the wings, breathing down our
 necks, scouting the neighborhood for those FOR SALE signs, then pouncing.
The house next door sold the first day the owners put their sign out!

This has become a year of many changes for me - sadly, most not favorable.
I think I'll leave you now - perhaps bake fig tarts, or drown myself in 
homemade pasta sauce!
Stay well, be safe dear friends.

15 comments:

  1. All that home-grown produce looks good. Those who build bigger houses will have more cleaning and less gardening - sounds a bad trade-of to me. I can think of worse ways to go than drowning in pasta sauce.

    ReplyDelete
  2. That's a bit sad Mary, knowing you will have demolition going on for some time, with noise and all the rest of the nuisance. And equally sadly, you can't go off on one of your lovely trips to get away. Why do things have to change?

    ReplyDelete
  3. I am sorry to hear your neighbors house will be torn down. Your bounty looks wonderful. I have had a terrible time with tomatoes this year.

    ReplyDelete
  4. What a beautiful bounty of produce! I had a ton of cherry and pear tomatoes from my plants so I made a big pan of fresh tomato sauce today (with onions and garlic and fresh herbs) and will serve it over arugula parmesan ravioli (Trader Joe's) tonight.

    How sad that the house next to you will be torn down and one of those mini mansions built. You and Bob aren't thinking about moving, are you?

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh, that is sad about the neighbourhood being changed. I don't know why some people think they need huge houses and tear down perfectly good ones to build monstrosities. It happens here, too.
    What wonderful garden bounty! Our gardens here are very slow and we are still awaiting ripe tomatoes. I'm becoming very impatient. Your house is going to smell heavenly with the pasta sauce cooking.
    Be safe, Mary and Bob.

    ReplyDelete
  6. It's such a shame that houses are being torn down that are perfectly good enough to be updated or repaired. It lessens the charm of a neighborhood. I am always surprised that many younger, first or second buyers feel they must have a newly built house. Each to there own I guess. Sometimes I believe fences do make good neighbors. I hope they build a house that doesn't scream "Look at me!"

    ReplyDelete
  7. sorry you have lost your neighbours and that a disproportionately large building will be erected, hope it is at least lived in by nice people. Your crop is amazing, I don't think I have ever eaten a fig!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Nothing as good (and useful at the same time!) as retreating to the kitchen when the world seems to overwhelm us, is there. I love that rich bounty nature gives us in mid-to-late summer and further on!
    Will we get to see beautiful Nala again while you are looking after her during your neigbhour's trip?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, I'll take a photo of Nala later when she's having a good day!

      Delete
  9. Looking at all of those beautiful tomatoes and figs has me sitting here drooling! Enjoy them and have a great week :)

    ReplyDelete
  10. Dear Mary,
    I am so envious...My tomatoes are still trying to get ripe and of course,I have no figs. Been watching the weather and hoping that you will be spared.

    ReplyDelete
  11. That saddens me when the old houses are torn down. It is happening in my neighborhood too.
    What a harvest! Amazing! Our figs won't be ripe until September or October. We have very few plums on our tree this year. We were slow to plant tomatoes, but it looks like we could have a good crop in a few weeks. I do have basil and think tomorrow I must make some pesto for the freezer. I really have enjoyed the pesto on spaghetti like you suggested awhile back. It was delicious.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Mary, the figs and tomatoes look wonderful!! That is very interesting about the neighbor's house. I hope the new McMansion doesn't detract from your cute cottage! I hate when they tear down neat older homes and put up that kind of house. I do know Raleigh is a very hot market right now. Good luck! Take care!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Definitely a great amount of veggies and fruit. I'd like to see what you'll do with your figs. I'm seeing them in the grocery stores now and I always think of you! I've been showered here at the lake with the overflow of tomatoes, zucchini, and peppers from neighbors. To be honest, It takes a god amount of tomatoes, chopped and drained, to make a simple 8 ounce jar of salsa (which I use for a topping on eggs, meats, fish, toasted bread...limitless. But, a lot of work chopping and dicing. My sister used to boil and peel the skin from her tomatoes, chop them up and freeze. She'd pull them out for sauces and stews.

    I'm not happy about the noise, disruption, and changes going on next door to you. I will say, I seeing many home demolished on. the lake just for the land, that many new built homes are not so large but at a pretty penny, as they have all the amenities; mud rooms, wine cellars, added appliance space, multiple garages, laundry rooms, bathrooms...the list goes on. If the lot isn't large, they may be build up. It may have a lot of curb appeal but I hope these people try to keep in with the neighborhood. Just my thought through my rose colored glasses!

    I'm off to look at your last post on the hurricane, although I know at this time it's much worse. Sending love and all the best in staying safe from the damage, and during this surreal and frightening time in this world. And I'm having so many physical problems as well. I've drone on long enough but my back is rearing it's ugly head, and I'm set for more tests and treatment options for my ravaged lungs.

    Love, love, love to you and Bob. Hang in there. 😘

    ReplyDelete
  14. Hello dear Mary,
    I completely understand your concern about the ‘new build’ in your neighbourhood😱
    This happened to us eighteen months ago.
    The bungalow next door sold to a young couple.
    The builders came in and hammered away for twelve months.
    It is a ginormous two storeyed house that straddles the land within one metre of our boundary.
    There is a huge pool at the back, complete with surround sound music!
    Our peaceful surroundings gone forever.
    I’m dreaming of living in a sweet cottage on an estuary so I can enjoy watching and photographing the local seabirds!
    That will probably remain a dream as those properties are few and far between and mostly out of our price range!
    How life can change.
    Think of you often and I will email you this weekend!
    Shane xxx

    ReplyDelete

I would enjoy reading your comment - thanks so much for stopping by.