Saturday, August 8, 2020

Dill & Chocolate Brownies -


This week I've been gathering seeds, plenty of dill and a little parsley.
I put a plastic baggie over the seed heads and with gentle manipulation, 
 coax the dried seeds off.  I spread them out a dish on the kitchen
counter overnight to make sure they are completely dry, then tip into
 saved screw top jam jars. . . . . . .mostly Bonne Maman with their always
 cheery red bistro tablecloth check lids.
Next year I will sow the seeds come spring and hopefully they will be as
 prolific as they were this summer.
 
Note:  Don't ever gather seeds and leave them outside to dry overnight
as I did once - they will be gone by morning and your squirrels and birds 
will have full tummies!!!!



**********************


   Are you a brownie fan?
In all honesty they are not a top favorite of mine.
 I really prefer my chocolate calories used other ways.
However, every now and then I pick up a box of Duncan Hines and
make a batch to share, but I usually add something extra. 
These I made during the week. Added small chopped up 
chunks of a bar of LIDL's premium dark German chocolate with 
almonds and orange peel. I love these bars as they are thin and
very easy to break up, and the chocolate is so much better than
a bag of drab chocolate chips.
I saved a couple of squares for melting and drizzling after 
I took the brownies out of the oven.
I actually messed up on the recipe - was making chewy rather than cake,
 but added 1/2 instead of 1/4 cup of water, however they turned out
 perfectly perhaps due to the extra chocolate pieces.
After a couple of days in the fridge I have to say they are tasty.

Do you have a favorite brownie recipe?  Do you have any special additions
 to take them from ordinary to gourmet?

17 comments:

  1. When I read the headline, I thought you had made dill & chocolate brownies!
    Nice to see German chocolate is appreciated elsewhere, too, and even nicer tomsee that this particular brand carries the FairTrade label.
    I love brownies but very rarely bake any myself.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Meike I really love German chocolate - it's definitely a best-seller at LIDL, often sold out when I go look for it! Maybe that's good as I can't eat as much then!
      Mary -

      Delete
  2. I do wish you wouldnt show such enticing photos, Mary! It makes me hungry, and it's still mid morning here.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Wish you could pop over for a brownie with a nice cuppa this afternoon Barbara!
      Stay cool in the heatwave.
      Mary -

      Delete
  3. My father was a great saver of seeds - he hardly bought any if he could help it. Garden centres would have had a hard time if they relied on old-school gardeners like him! I don't bake many cakes these days as, living alone, I tend to sit and eat them all with disastrous results on the waistline. I used to do a lot of baking when I worked with children with learning difficulties; most of our recipes were unrepeatable as various amounts of ingredients were eaten, rubbed in hair or otherwise lost before they could be incorporated. Surprisingly the results were mostly good.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Those must have been fun times with the kids John!

      Seeds are such amazing tiny things from which fantastic things grow!
      Mary -

      Delete
  4. I like chewy brownies, I haven't made them for years though.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Time to try some Penny. How about the earthquake today - did you feel anything?ry
      Mary -

      Delete
  5. Let me just say how glad I am that the dill was not added to the brownie as I first thought. Phew! I should save some seeds...I sowed some of the marigold seeds from the dried flower and they are coming up nicely. I had to move the mother plants because they weren't at all happy. I not that the squirrels seem very interested in the marigolds....perhaps for the seeds. Oh, I do like brownies and I am thinking your doctored brownies sound heavenly.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hey we never know Vee - perhaps dill seeds would do something special for a chewy brownie - maybe I'll try! I have a bar of that chocolate which is 'Salted' - perhaps with dill it would become a type of savory brownie. Who knows, it's called being an innovative cook, and these days we certainly have time to experiment, haha!

      Mary -

      Delete
  6. Yum, I love dill. Brownies are good too, but nothing beats a good cream cheese/dill spread on a freshly toasted bagel. Beautiful photography, Mary!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hello Sue - thanks for stopping by and leaving a comment, please come back often.
    Your bagel sounds delicious - these days we need deliciousness!!!
    Mary -

    ReplyDelete
  8. Hello my sweet friend, I make a lot of brownies for friends and family but I rarely eat them. I am embarrassed to admit that I like the raw batter. You addition of the chocolate bar and then a drizzle on top is perfect! I hope that you are having a wonderful day!

    ReplyDelete
  9. oooh those brownies look scrumptious. I keep meaning to make some, but never get round to it, and I would eat too many of them!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Dear Mary,
    Now that you have introduced dill into your garden you will see it sprouting everywhere next Spring. I let mine grow wherever it wants. I love it in my flower beds.
    I'm baking bread once a week, the no knead kind and have added Parmesan cheese to the dough. Delicious with apricot preserves.

    ReplyDelete
  11. The brownies look delicious, Mary. I sometimes soak dried cherries (chopped) in a bit of port and add them to my brownies. Your drizzle on top would be a great addition!

    ReplyDelete
  12. I don't often make brownies, but yours look delicious for sure. I make a gallon jar of my own mix and Jim likes to make them. When we could go to the church building he often make brownies to share at church and maybe I would have one bite.

    ReplyDelete

I would enjoy reading your comment - thanks so much for stopping by.