Monday, August 31, 2020

In the doldrums -

 
Doldrums - 'dead in the water' - do you feel it, that inertia, somewhat like suspended animation?

The "doldrums" is a nautical term that refers to the belt around the Earth near the equator where sailing ships sometimes get stuck on windless waters.

In both the Pacific and Atlantic Oceans, the sailors noticed that there was an area near the Equator where there was little or no wind. Without the wind to move their sail-powered boats, they would sometimes be stuck for days or weeks. They started calling these areas the doldrums.

Did you buy a 2020 Planner or Diary? 

Of course you did!

Have you written anything much in it since March?

Mine is mostly blank and will remain so by looks of it.

 



September is knocking at the door!  A month I usually welcome as it starts to cool a bit and the trees start changing color - yes there are a few yellow fig leaves already - I've decided to work hard at getting out of the doldrums. This week will see me commencing on some downsizing/decluttering about the cottage. I'm sending Bob to Trader Joe's today to pick up empty boxes. . . . . .along with Dijon Mustard, haricots verts, and heavy cream!

Still have to make time to cook. . . . . . .below Angel hair pasta with cherry tomatoes and shrimp scampi, our Saturday night special. Delicious!


On the menu today, corn chowder which I'm making right now - multi-tasking as always - and pasta with ricotta with those always so good haricots verts (green beans) from Trader Joe's - just snip a corner of the bag and microwave for a few minutes.

Must go - enjoy your Monday and the coming week.
It's overcast and rain coming in here later which is good - no time to drag
 those garden hoses about today.

9 comments:

  1. Well my planner is very empty...2020 is a strange year indeed! September tomorrow, time really flies...
    Love from Titti

    ReplyDelete
  2. It might rain on Wednesday here. I can't wait.

    ReplyDelete
  3. My calendar has one or two notes on it!
    What will you do when you have boxes full of things? Where is there to take them? Our charity shops are not fully open here.

    ReplyDelete
  4. The planner is definitely empty.

    You'll be out of the doldrums soon with a delicious meal like that. The tomatoes looks scrumptious.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Yes, vast swathes of blank pages within! It is already September in this neck of the woods and this week saw me teased with a couple of days of sneezing & itchiness about the visage as Hay Fever heralds Spring's imminent return ... Your dinners are looking and sounding delicious, too!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I am a glass half full positively brimming over kinda gal but even I have been a bit down sometimes during this pandemic. I think it has got to everyone but , if I feel like that, I have to remember how fortunate I am and how others must be suffering so much more. Like you, I think I have turned to cooking more, decorating and clearing things out just for things to do. Our house has never been in such good order 🤣🤣. You have reminded me of Waterlogue and how lovely our photographs can look. I might do a few if mine again if you don’t mind Mary ? Copying is the greatest form of flattery after all 🤣🤣🤣 XXXX

    ReplyDelete
  7. Yes, September is here, and as every year, I find it is somehow more special than the 1st of January.
    My diary/planner did contain a large number of events that I had to cross out, but it has been filling up fast again, with three family birthdays in August alone, and another one coming up at the end of this month, plus many work-related appointments. No rest for the wicked, as they say!

    ReplyDelete
  8. It is unbelievable how fast September arrived. We are easing back into school. I will be in the classroom next Tuesday. My planners are August to August; my new planner is filling up. Fingers crossed we stay in school. Your shrimp dish looks so yummy!

    ReplyDelete

I would enjoy reading your comment - thanks so much for stopping by.