Monday, August 17, 2020

Safety measures -



Yesterday I munched my way through a third of a bag - large bag no less - of warmed crunchy, 100% white corn 'Restaurant Style' tortilla chips! Now and then I dipped one in a small bowl of spicy red pepper hummus, but mostly just enjoyed the snap and crunch of the plain chip. It reminded me of the Mexican place where the chips were so good I never bothered with the salsa. . . . . . and I ate so many when the waitperson placed them on the table after taking our order that I didn't really want my meal, most often Combo #4 Vegetariano, when it arrived!

After yesterday's chip binge I felt guilty. I also I wondered if I even remembered what it was like to walk into an eating establishment, sit down with family or friends, order, be served, and actually eat a meal prepared by someone other than myself! I don't recall the date of my last restaurant meal other than it must have been during the last days of March. That's almost five long months ago. I've prepped, cooked, and put together every dinner we've eaten during that time - Bob makes his own breakfast, and we seldom eat lunch.  

I love clothes and fashion. Well I did love them until this past spring. Now fashion appears to have disappeared. Clothing seems to revolve around which mask to wear with which tee shirt to the grocery store, or with a rather more dressy linen blouse to sit distanced in my daughter's large garden, perspiration running down my back while swatting those damned mosquitoes!  If you are beginning to get the feeling I don't like summer, you're absolutely correct, and this particular summer is the worst ever.

After watching far too much TV - how many horrific crime dramas did they make when times were actually good - I thought I'd pass an hour or so last evening checking out Fall Fashions online. My tired eyes were longing to see something pretty, creative, elegant. After five minutes I came to the conclusion there is no Fall 'fashion' this year! I saved money for five long months, not buying a single summer wardrobe item, so I could splurge a little on something new in a warm Autumn shade, soft fabric, new cut, updated design. . . . . . but there's really nothing out there that I don't already have hanging in my closet! Fashion has, like cruise ships, fun weekend getaways to the coast, travel to Italy, visiting family in England, and sitting in a cozy Paris bistro. . . . . . GONE for the time being!  

I don't have safety net for times such as these.  Do you?  I feel sad, old, and somewhat useless. I worry that we may never return to the life we led before Corona virus. How does one plan ahead for days, weeks, months, perhaps even years, without the freedom to do things, go places, be with loved ones, help others . . . . . . . to breathe unfettered and in comfort. 

Safety pins will have to hold it all together and take the place of a net for me!

It's Monday and a beautiful morning with blue sky following a sunless, damp weekend. Things should dry out fast as it will remain hot. Some time in the garden for Bob to mow and me to tidy up a bit will be welcomed. Perhaps supper in the gazebo if the daily late day storms stay away. 

Hoping your week ahead is a good one.

11 comments:

  1. Feeling rather like you, Mary....except older.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. .....yes dear, but not that much older!
      I just don't have the energy I had pre-COVID - everything feels like an effort. Physically there are painful bits of course, but I think my main problem is more emotional, especially the distancing and discomfort when away from home. The days drag on and I know I should, by now, have my life all tidy and in order - but I continue to put things off. I admit to procrastination big time - which is not the usual me!

      Delete
  2. Good morning, Mary ~ I am so sorry you're not enjoying this summer - or summer in general - but with where you live being unbearably hot most of the summer, I can see why. Summer is my favorite season and it can get very hot and humid here too, but I would take this kind of weather any day over the harsh, long winters we have.

    Though I like to look nice when I go out, I'm just not into fashion, in general. It's just never been one of my interests. As long as I have some pretty tops and a small selection of pants to wear, I'm all good.

    Is outdoor dining at a restaurant a possibility for you? That's what Brian and I have been doing. And I've actually dined indoors a few times with a friend or family member where tables were distanced from others. We wear masks to and from our tables and don't remove them until we sit down. Or another option - order take-out from one of your favorite restaurants.

    It makes my heart hurt to know that you are feeling sad, old and useless. Could you visit more often with your daughter?

    {{hugs}}

    ReplyDelete
  3. Well life will never be the same again in my view, we have to look to new ways of being occupied,content and with loved ones when we are allowed and via technology(zoom, skype) when restricted, we are such social creatures us humans, distancing is making life so difficult, but we will get used to it. I think having pets is helpful/important as then there is the missing element of touch. There is no other way it would seem -I am personally just accepting, my main disappointment is the impact on travel as we had planned so much for our 60s, but we must be glad to be alive/healthy and adapt I guess :) I don't care about fashion too much -do you? it is noticeable though that masks are beginning to become a colour coordinated feature for some :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Dear Mary - I feel in a rather similar vein to you, but at least I don't have those mosquitos to deal with. I keep mentioning the fact that I can't stand the thought of yet another evening meal to think about and then the preparation. The house also needs a good clean now, but I can't be bothered. However, we are having our first meal out at the end of the month as it is my birthday. The government have come up with a scheme to get people going out to restaurants called 'Eat Out to Help Out scheme' which gives everyone a 50% discount on their bill up to £10 per person. The scheme is now in operation on Mon. Tues. and Weds until the end of the month. We have booked our local favourite hotel which sits on the side of our Common and overlooks the valley below. It has given us both something to now look forward to.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I think we're all feeling more or less the same. We are free to go out to restaurants here but don't do it very often. We went in June, for our anniversary, and again last Saturday. The weather here has been horrible this past week, hot and stifling. But tonight I can feel a breeze. I just hopes it lasts till morning. Take care.

    ReplyDelete
  6. You are not alone with those feelings. Some days are better, some days not. I have to look at my cell phone to know the date. My laundry is lighter because some days my night shirt converts into my sun dress. Most days it is just the two of us plus our dog Lucky. Without anyone visiting, I find myself just being maybe "a little too comfortable". Most of the current styles and colors don't inspire me to open my wallet. Makeup is getting applied less due to wearing a mask in public. My hairline sweats easily, so hair primping is less too. I find myself wondering almost everyday, will this virus ever be manageable? Personally, I have no pressures affording what I need to live a simple life, so I am very grateful for that blessing. I guess that will be what keeps my head above dark waters, that and a good daily laugh.

    ReplyDelete
  7. With so much extensive traveling under your belt, it must be especially hard to be largely confined to your own four walls and garden. At least you have your garden, and your house is beautiful, too! I understand how everything feels so much like an effort now. And isn't weird how both spontaneity AND planning has become almost impossible?
    I am glad I have my job to keep me going from day to day, and the weekends to look forward to. I really don't know how someone can cope who has to share a cramped apartment with a bunch of noisy children and a grumpy husband, and maybe even have lost their jobs and their income.
    Your take on (none-existing) fall fashion is interesting - I have lost most of my interest in pretty dresses and fashion, too. Not that I don't dress properly; I do every day. It's just that looking at clothes in a shop window when I am in town for an errand or on my way to the station simply leaves me cold.

    ReplyDelete
  8. It's time for a day trip...someplace where the masks can be gone for long lengths of time...back to the ocean? That's just what I did yesterday after feeling pretty blah about things. So glad that I went and am now looking forward to an outing soon. I know all about mindless eating. 😏

    ReplyDelete
  9. I have ordered a couple things online just to enjoy fashion for myself. When I put the new shirt on Jim wanted to know where I was going. I informed him it was for me. Now that is sad there isn't anything new for fall. I am wondering about a new color. I see the pantone color is a navy. I am feeling like we need some bright color touches to cheer us up.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I've been looking at fall fashions, and can't find anything I like, either. This pandemic has created strange feelings for most of us, I think. Restaurants have been doing take outs almost since the beginning of the pandemic here, and we've ordered (and picked up) several times. It makes for something to look forward to on a weekend. Not having to plan or cook another meal is such a break sometimes. Restaurants have been quite innovative with their offerings, too - much more than just pizza or chinese or thai.
    I hope you can get out for a drive or a day trip somewhere to cheer you up. Swatting mosquitoes in the heat sounds like no fun at all.

    ReplyDelete

I would enjoy reading your comment - thanks so much for stopping by.