Wednesday, November 4, 2020

Farm to Table - the edible pumpkin!



This is one of the two large cooking pumpkins I bought at the farm last month.
Now the night temperatures are around freezing it's time to bring them in
from the porch and use them.


When cut open, one is presented with a lot of seeds.
I have to admit I don't usually do anything with them other than
put them in the compost barrel.
This time, after finding a recipe for Pumpkin Seed Pesto (see below),
I washed them off and proceeded to add a new flavored pesto to my list.


Ever since my Autumn 2015 visit to an amazing Pumpkin Festival
 in France - in a pretty village close to where my brother lives - I have
 always brought home, along with the decorative ones, a couple of
 'cooking pumpkins' (these are not the small orange 'pie pumpkins' often 
seen in grocery stores) for roasting and soup making. 
I usually roast my cut up pumpkin along with shallots, olive oil and
 seasoning first - I think it adds more flavor - plus just eating some as
 a side veggie as it makes a delicious accompaniment to many meals.

France 2015

When in France, the market lady is also a gardener.  
She will share cooking tips with you when you buy her 
pumpkins (potirons). Her recipes are basic and simple but
 always delicious. She's probably made this soup for years, 
throwing ingredients nonchalantly into her large pot without
 measuring or weighing. 


Melt 2 tablespoons of unsalted butter in your large
 heavy pot over medium heat and add an onion,
peeled and chopped, cooking a few minutes until 
pale gold, do not scorch.  Add 5 pounds of peeled, 
chopped pumpkin, leave out the seeds and roast them
 later for a crunchy snack.  Dice a small potato and 
add to the pot, you can leave the peel on for more nourishment.  
Pour in 5 cups of water, season with sea salt to taste,
 decide later if you want to add pepper. 
Cover pot, bring to a boil, reduce to medium, keep
 covered and cook 25 minutes until potato and pumpkin
 are very soft.  Remove from heat, cool slightly then
 puree until smooth with that wonderful kitchen
 must-have, your stick blender.  
Serve with a swirl of thick cream, a sprinkling of Gruyere cheese
 and a chunk of fresh-baked farm-style bread. 
 Bon appetit!

My version of Pumpkin Soup this week, delicious!



The pesto is really good - has quite a kick from the red chile 
pepper - I removed the seeds.


Blend all ingredients together, except the oil, and lemon juice
 (I didn't add cream) in a small food chopper, then add liquids and
 salt/pepper to taste.


Although I have one more large cooking pumpkin awaiting the knife - a
 kitchen job Bob helps with - I probably won't do anymore post on the 
wonderful pumpkin. . . . . .this year!

The weather here is beautiful this week.
We have lots to do around the house and garden - leaves are falling
and need raking, crawlspace is going to have a clean out with new
 waterproof barrier etc. installed (new water heater was installed a
 couple of weeks back), and I'm working on cleaning up Jasmin Cottage -
  the potting shed.
I will be heading out there shortly to plant up my waiting amaryllis bulbs.
They spent summer in the garden and look really healthy after a cooling
off in the dark shed these past two months. Fingers crossed they will
bloom again and bring much beauty during the dark winter months.


26 comments:

  1. Both of your recipes sound wonderful Mary. Thanks for sharing them!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yum, Mary!! ...and the pictures are also "deliciously" appealing. This year I have my own butternut squashes, but seeds already bought and ready for some special French pumpkins next summer!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Butternut is so delicious - and when they're fresh picked they are so much better than the ones that have sat a while in the grocery store!!!

      Delete
  3. Dearest Mary,
    What a delicious looking Pumpkin soup. Have saved it on my Pinterest with link to your post. Thank you so much for sharing this.
    Fond memories from France, no doubt.
    Loved your photos and styling as well.
    Hugs,
    Mariette

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Mariette - do try using cooking pumpkins, they are much like butternut squash but less firm when cooked so make a wonderful smooth soup. Hope you have a stick blender - it's the one kitchen item I would never give up!

      Delete
  4. The soup, pesto, and toasty seeds all sounds delicious.
    I remember traveling near your brother's part of the world one year and seeing pumpkins at road side stands. We bought one and brought seeds home. The pumpkins were so gorgeous and I just can't seem to find exactly the same variety here. I keep looking.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You were lucky to get the seeds home dear! I've not been brave enough to try that - Customs can be brutal - Heathrow they even took away my Portmeirion cake forks which were in a sealed manufacturer's box!

      Delete
  5. I managed to grow just one large pumpkin this year and it's been sitting on the front porch for a few weeks. It's time to do something with it and soup was one of my thoughts. Your French Market recipe sounds just perfect. Enjoy these days out in your garden!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Go for it Lorrie - most squash/pumpkins are great for soup, except those big Cinderella pumpkins used for Jack 'O Lanterns which are often too fibrous and watery.

      Delete
  6. This pumpkin soup looks so appetizing for this Autumn chill! Regards, Naomi Dreams

    ReplyDelete
  7. Mmmmh!!! I wish I could have a bowl of your pumpkin soup and farm bread for lunch today.
    So far, I have always only made Hokkaido pumpkins, usually roasted in the oven with a marinade of honey and balsamico, and feta cheese on top, or mashed up with whatever else I had at hand (carrots, parsnips, spuds) as a thick soup. Always delicious, and I think it is time I try other kinds, too.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That sounds good - I'm going to try that recipe!
      I LOVE parsnips!

      Delete
  8. I’m inspired Mary!
    I still have half of a very large pumpkin in the fridge - so I will make Pumpkin Soup ‘a la French market lady! It sounds and looks delicious!
    We are following your election closely, at this stage it seems it’s all about the Electoral college votes.
    North Carolina is very close.
    Praying you get the right outcome.
    Our election was a couple of weeks ago.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Yummy! I've never made a cooking pumpkin! I wish I would have purchased a few. I love the markets in France, so much beautiful food! And the seed pesto, that is a fabulous idea! Hope you are staying well during these crazy times.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Ohhh...that pumpkin soup does look wonderful. Is that your art being featured? Very nice and must be looking fine somewhere in your November kitchen.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Dear Mary,
    I love pumpkins and squash and I grow many of them. I bake mine first and then freeze them in small packages. They come in so handy for soups and breads.
    Your soup recipe looks fantastic and so do your photographs. My "Mary" stick blender has become my favorite kitchen gadget.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Oh yum on that soup! I have made all kinds of squashes and squash soup too, but I've never used a fresh pumpkin in cooking. My mom uses one to make pumpkin pie. That pesto sounds really interesting. What is semi-dry tomatoes in olive oil? I'm only familiar with sundried tomatoes.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes they mean sun-dried I'm sure - that's what I used!

      Delete
  13. Will make the pumkin soup soon. Recently watched a cooking show where the tool of choice for getting into a large squash was a hand saw! Going to try that too.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Just knew my hand saw would come in useful one day!

      Delete
  14. Pumpkins are very attractive to look at. I love the small ones in white, orange and green to decorate the fireplace but I never cook them !!! It all looks and sounds delicious Mary and to make pesto with the seeds is a brilliant idea..... no waste ! I think in the U.K., butternut squash is more popular than pumpkin ( to eat, that is ! ) although some cook with it ..... We really should embrace it more. Happy weekend Mary. XXXX

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, the actual pumpkin season is short and yet the other squashes, especially butternut, are always available. You can use their seeds too I guess.

      Delete
  15. So lovely photos, thank you, mouth watering!
    This year I haven't cooked any pumpkin soup (I use Hokaido and add some pears) - but soon will.
    I found your blog via Rosemary - (trying to follow you I saw that I seem to have some difficulties with my blogger profile photo - my main blog is www.berlinletters.blogspot.com.
    So maybe I'll see you over there - in partly locked-down Berlin. Anyway: good health to you!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Welcome Britta! Like the idea of pears with winter squash and noticed the pears are really good in the stores here now!
      I'll be following you on your blog - posts from Berlin will be fun - and I still have to visit your city some day.
      Mary -

      Delete
  16. Pumpkin seeds are good for our health. Happy weekend to you.

    ReplyDelete

I would enjoy reading your comment - thanks so much for stopping by.