Saturday, November 7, 2020

November weekend -

 
This week has been busy around the house.
Our guy did the crawlspace work under the house - took out old
and replaced new waterproof vapor barrier, made sure insulation
was secure, and checked there was no mold. . . . . or a large
black snake such as found in a close by neighbor's crawl space recently!
Now, any mice sheltering in winter have a safe, squeaky clean area
to play in!


I was in the kitchen doing my usual flipping through cookbooks, searching
 for something new to bake, but resorted to a batch of pistachio muffins,
 most of which went into the freezer.
Made the quiche to use up last week's eggs and a bag of baby spinach.
 I ordered two dozen eggs for this week from my farm lady Linda - picked
 them up yesterday - as her chickens are laying well again so I wasn't
 limited to just a dozen as during the past couple of months.

I changed up the quiche a bit this time. Added a big dollop of that
pumpkin seed pesto to 1/2 cup of Ricotta cheese. That was
spread on the bottom crust after the 15 min. par-bake, then 
added the grated Gruyere cheese, the chopped spinach, the
 egg/milk/cream mixture, and topped with the remaining Gruyere. 
Baked as usual and was pleasantly surprised when I cut it and
 found all the layers visible, making it look really neat.
Also it was very tasty!


Garden chores to be revisited today as the weather is lovely - mostly
 emptying/cleaning the summer pots remaining. Still some basil which won't 
survive winter, the dahlias which are just about over, and annuals now
 on their last legs!  Planning to scrub out the bird baths also, they're a mess.

Amaryllis bulbs did get planted up in narrow pots on Thursday - they
 like to be snug - four large bulbs and one surprise bulblet. 
My fingers are crossed they will all grow.  


I have few areas to place them where they will get enough sunlight,
the best being right here on the dining room table.
Note I've already stuck a twig in each pot ready for tying up
leaves and hopefully tall blooms!


Boxes of Christmas cards are at the ready - I plan to start writing a
 few a day which is easier for me with this often achy shoulder/arm. 
Rotator cuff surgery is still on my To Do list, needless to say it's close
 to the bottom as I'm not excited by the thought of being out of commission
 for several months. I plan to wait as long as I can!

One cooking pumpkin remaining - will prep it this weekend.

I bought a few holiday items, including this door mat, when at Target
 this week - and must say I now feel better about Christmas coming.  

At first it sounded all too much to bother with during these
stressful times, now I'm going to make the most of it with
perhaps a bit less baking as I won't be throwing my usual
parties/meals, but plenty of decorating, roaring fires, candles 
lighting up the winter nights, and of course, as always,
 will be hoping for a White Christmas!

What are you planning for this November weekend?
Whatever, I hope it's relaxing and fun.

10 comments:

  1. Your weekend sounds busy! Kent is putting together a bookcase that came in the mail. I will be painting the guest room. I just ordered some Christmas cards today.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Your quiche sounds absolutely delicious, Mary! I'm planning to deal with my homegrown pumpkin today - probably make a big batch of soup that can be frozen, and bake something sweet. We are having a family get together outdoors this afternoon at a park and I'm looking forward to that. Have a good weekend!

    ReplyDelete
  3. We are having beautiful, sunny, warm weather here in IL if you can believe that! It's been in the 70's and it's glorious. I've been outside every chance I get. I also did a lot of housework today and several loads of laundry, changed the bedding. Made a pot of brown rice and lentils this morning.

    Enjoy the rest of your weekend!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Dearest Mary,
    Bubbly post and yes, I too love to cook or bake larger quantities for stocking up the freezer. Work is about the same as for smaller quantities.
    Your dishes look yummy.
    Also love the invitation to cozy up at your front door.
    Hugs,
    Mariette

    ReplyDelete
  5. Your post looks so homely, I am a lazy cook. I hadn't thought of twigs to support amarylis, what a good idea. Not that I have any - I heard they can harm cats and having a new pet, who eats everything green, decided not to this year. I love pumpkins for their colour and beauty but never eat them perhaps I should try one roasted.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Dear Mary,
    Your time in your kitchen has been well spent. I love your new recipe for quiche recipe ... will make a note of it.
    If your Amaryllis bulbs ere firm and solid they will bloom again...just a little later than the year before.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Do they have you doing exercises for your sore shoulder, Mary? I have impinged shoulders from chemo so I must faithfully "climb the walls," air write the cursive alphabet, and walk backwards as far as I can while holding on to the back of a chair. Helps some, but rotator cuffs are probably much different than an impingement. I admire your desire to write Christmas cards! 🎄The work you had done under your home sounds like something I should suggest to my daughter.

    ReplyDelete
  8. WOW ..... you have been busy Mary. You are such a good cook. I concocted a shallot, courgette, tomato, haricot bean, potato thing yesterday .... a sort of ratatouille but a bit drier. It was lovely & we had it with halibut. Lovely Autumn weather here in the U.K. so putting the garden to bed is the order of the day. I have bought lots of Christmas presents already but have been looking for more this morning. Have a lovely week Mary ..... don’t overdo it !!! XXXX

    ReplyDelete
  9. "Come in and Cozy up"!!! I LOVE that!!! Your quiche looks so good. I need to make another one too. I have cauliflower in the freezer that needs to be cooked soon! :)

    ReplyDelete
  10. We usually plant paper whites about now and sometime amaryllis. Yours will be lovely.
    The quiche and muffins look delicious. Not much baking because of the COVID pounds, ugh!
    I did order some Christmas cards, but need a few more then I really must get going with notes and addresses. Thanks for the reminder.

    ReplyDelete

I would enjoy reading your comment - thanks so much for stopping by.