Saturday, January 7, 2012

A precious Winter day..................

....good morning sunshine....


What an amazing day for January!  Even though I live in the south I don't recall many days this perfect in mid-Winter.
Awoke to a gorgeous sunrise. It was so mild outside when I opened the front door, I almost skipped down the driveway at 6:45 AM to collect the newspaper thinking Spring was here already.


The temperature must have peaked around 70 degrees by late morning with just a tiny wisp of a breeze in the air. 

So what did we do for much of the day?  Gardening chores of course.  Well they hardly felt like chores, more like spending a delightful time getting exercise and enjoying Nature.  We raked leaves, trimmed plants, and did a general clean up, much needed I must add as I've be remiss in keeping up whilst away so much! By noon my jacket was off and I was almost ready to dig out a pair of shorts!


Due to this extremely mild Winter our wood pile hasn't been depleted much at all.  We've had several lovely crackling fires on the hearth but not every evening as is usual, it's just too warm.  Our annual cord of wood may still be high at the start of next Winter.


Daffodil and bluebell bulbs have started sending up brilliant green leaves, roses and camellias are blooming..........and look at the fabulous Italian parsley, tons of it growing all around the garden.  What a treat to have fresh herbs to pick in Winter.
  
How long can it last though?  Surely Winter is lurking out there somewhere.  Will there be a rude awakening soon?  This time last year we had just dug out from a heavy snow and the days and nights were so cold.
So, I'm loving it and making the most of it - because Mother Nature can fool us. February, March, and even April can be cruel months.


Dear friends, how's the weather in your neck of woods? 



20 comments:

  1. It's mild and rainy here, Mary. Rain every day, and then rain at night too. I don't mind because I'll never ever get over all my years of shoveling the white stuff in more northern parts of Canada. Let it rain!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think it is warmer in N. Carolina than it is here in South Florida.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Mary, I was just thinking all the same thoughts you wrote about! I'm sure Winter is lurking out there somewhere. I am also enjoying this lovely weather while we can! Have a wonderful day!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Despite the rain & gales it is generally a mild January too here in Normandy, although there has been extensive flooding of the marais.
    Nowhere near as nice as your weather though, how lovely!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I have to say, this weather has been amazing! It was almost 60 degrees the other day - we couldn't believe it! I am wary: sure that there is something around the bend or that we will be inundated with snow in Feb-March.

    Here's hoping it is, as Don says, 'That winter of 2012 that was so mild we never got snow!'

    xo
    Claudia

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hi Mary,

    It's been beautiful here in No. California, too. We do need rain, though. Glad you had a super day!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hi Mary,
    We have had high's in the low 60's the last couple of days in my part of NC. Our parsley is still growing and so is our Swiss Chard! I have a feeling that this will be a very mild winter.
    Hugs,
    Penny

    ReplyDelete
  8. I've forgotten what 70 degrees is like! It's wet and windy here in Brittany, not nice at all.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Same here ;) I do wish it would be a bit cooler, I am not a hot weather girl and I hate when the whole year is the same. This is March weather not January. I am glad you are enjoying it!
    Hugs, Lisa

    ReplyDelete
  10. Yes, enjoy it while you can! We are too, here on the other side of the country...I really need to go outside and dig some weeks and trim some things, you've just reminded me!

    ReplyDelete
  11. I am wishing for a bit of snow, I just love all the seasons and want to experience a little cold before summer returns to Texas. The weather is mild and dry here in my part of the world. Chance of rain tomorrow. I'll take it. Happy Sunday.

    ReplyDelete
  12. It's been as warm as a spring day here lately, Mary, though today is gray and overcast. It has a bit of a chill again, so we have a fire going inside. I'm curled up reading. It's lovely! ~ Sarah

    ReplyDelete
  13. Wow! That looks and sounds wonderful. It is unseasonably mild here in N.B. Canada too. We've had below freezing temperatures but there is only 2 inches of snow on the ground in our area. The northern parts have a foot of snow though. I know we'll get winter weather soon and may get all our snow in February and March. A strange winter indeed. Enjoy your 'spring like' weather. Blessings, Pamela

    ReplyDelete
  14. It really would be quite something to write home about if we didn't get any snow this winter! It was in the 40's today, and tonight, the hubby made a fire. I think he is nuts! Our weather isn't as warm as yours, but for us it is enough!

    XO,
    Jane

    ReplyDelete
  15. Oh lucky you Mary - you're having better weather than we are - and it's meant to be summer here in New Zealand!!

    Love your stack of wood - aren't you lucky it's been so mild.

    We went away in the boat for our so called summer holiday and returned on NY eve after 6 days of wind and rain!!!

    Wishing you all the New Year Blessings you're dreaming of - and more - dear Mary!
    Thank you for your friendship over the past year in blogland!
    Live, laugh, love and "be happy" in 2012!
    hugs
    Shane xo

    ReplyDelete
  16. We're having the same kind of winter here, it's very mild and no snow so far. Bulbs are coming through and I have primulas flowering, like you I've been working in my garden and it's looking a whole lot better than it usually does at this time of year.

    ReplyDelete
  17. Mild here too, I am enjoying every minute of not bundling up to step outside :)

    ReplyDelete
  18. Thanks for your recent comments. Your parsley looks healthier than mine, but I am and happy that mine is even alive at this time of the year. Most of the snow we had early last week has melted, today, the promise of temps above the 0*C mark and sunshine.
    In Oct. I am hoping to go to South Africa, for a three week guided tour. I am 70 yrs. old and travelling alone so thought this would be the best idea. If I was younger I would love to do an independant trip.
    Have a wondeful day.
    Patricia

    ReplyDelete
  19. We are having a mild winter here too, but they are predicting snow this weekend. I think it is about to change. I do hope you get a little winter, though the sunshine is so special in winter time. I see the beginnings of crocus and tulips just peeping out of the ground. There were even some pink blossoms just down the street from me. Poor dears may be in for a surprise.

    ReplyDelete
  20. Definitely too warm of a winter. We still have a huge oak tree that fell which needs to be finished cutting up yet the wood is not needed. Oh, so many chores.....
    Take Care,
    Ulrike

    ReplyDelete

I would enjoy reading your comment - thanks so much for stopping by.