Wednesday, August 22, 2018

First light . . . . . . ..


Today I awoke and was up before the sun - probably because Bob allowed the
 storm door to slam at 6:00 AM when going to pick up the newspaper!
It rained again during the night but no thunder or lightning, and now we are
 looking at some fabulous weather for the next week. Hopefully it will dry up
and we can enjoy outdoor time.
After being at Gina's farm in Utah, seen in these photos, with stunning scenery
 stretching to the mountains, and the shining pond full of large winged visitors,
 my landscape here at the cottage feels somewhat encroaching and dark. . . . . . . .  



. . . . . I loved the openness of the garden and surrounding fields, the light shining through the dancing water of the irrigation system. . . . .  


. . . . . . the cackling birds on the bell towers of the gorgeous barn - you can just see
 the outline of the mountains here. . . . . 


. . . . . . . and then the sun appearing to make the colors of the buildings positively glow.



Gina's 'green thumb' produces such gorgeous flowers.



Early morning view toward the main house from the guest house - 



 Life at the pond - this year's parents and their now grown juveniles.



Speaking of waking early - I had no idea that on my second morning on the farm
 I would be awakened at the ungodly hour of 3:00 AM in excruciating pain!
  I knew immediately what was happening. . . . . . . another kidney stone on my left side!  

After waking Bob with my groaning, crying and flailing around from bed to the lovely
 comfy sofas, and back and forth to the bathroom downstairs, for a couple of hours, 
ready to jump from the balcony and drown myself in the pond (if you've had a
 kidney stone you know where I'm coming from!), Bob said to start packing and he'd 
drive me to the hospital in Provo, the closest large city! 

Before that occurred, Bob told Gina what was happening - thankfully she and Mr. G. are
early risers - and she insisted in taking me instead to a small hospital just 5 miles up the
road. (Thank you again dear friend of being so caring and understanding, and not
allowing me to be embarrassed at my plight in your home).

What amazing service that little ER gave me. How kind and caring were the staff.
The physician - actually a PA - was the best doctor I've ever had treat me - all
others should take 'bedside manner lessons' from him.
The sweet nurse had me hooked up to pain killers immediately. Lab tests were done.
The CT scan was completed in 10 minutes - the x-rays sent via computer to be read
 at a major hospital in Salt Lake City - and that apparently tiny stone causing such
 havoc was located in my plumbing system!
Outside a medi-vac helicopter was revving its engine - thank goodness it
wasn't for me - another patient, a poor woman in even more pain than me -
was being airlifted to the city.

In a few hours I was back on the farm enjoying another spectacular day,
grateful for modern medicine. . . . . . . and wonderful friends.

More from Utah next time.

14 comments:

  1. What a beautiful place Gina and her husband have. I am sorry about your kidney stones! So glad there was that great little hospital near by.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Wow Penny, the care and attention was truly wonderful in that ER - I was so fortunate. To think Bob would have packed up and taken me to the city over an hour away (I really had to fight him over that plan!) and I would have missed my third day at Gina's. . . . I was more upset at that than fighting the agonizing pain!

      Delete
  2. Oh Mary. What a time to have that happen. Glad it turned out so well. I have one but they said it wouldn't cause problems. Well, I sure don't want the problems you have had. I wonder how they treat it. And, can you prevent them? So glad it turned out well.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Donna, there's no treatment until it moves, and then it's usually just pain killers! You just hope the pain meds work until it's passed - and of course hope it's a small one, larger ones can require 'blasting'. A CT scan is required to see where and size. Prevention not always possible if you're prone to making them, but there are some foods/drinks good to avoid. Not sure why I get them other than I live in an area of the country where they say the water could be the cause! Who knows.

      Delete
  3. Dear Mary,
    It is so interesting to see our house and surroundings through your eyes. No detail escapes you. Wonderful photo.

    We had such a good time while you visited with us. I almost forgot about the trouble with your kidney stones. It didn't take long and you were back and I think we had another glass of champagne.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. . . . . . they did prescribe drinking a lot of water but what the heck, champagne was much more fun!!!

      I hope I am doing your beautiful home justice - there's so much to love about it Gina.
      Mary x

      Delete
    2. Gina, just looked at the hospital aftercare notes again - it said stick with clear liquids, so yes champagne, once the bubbles have dissipated, is as clear as a bell, haha!
      Mx

      Delete
  4. O so glad your pain was taken care of so quickly. I've never had kidney stones but understand they can be so very painful.
    I see beautiful homes and surroundings like these and wonder, "do people really live like this?" ...
    just stunning....and your photos are amazing.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Take my word for it bj, this is such a beautiful property. . . . . . but it's the lovely owners who make it more than special!
      Hope all is well with you dear.
      Mary -

      Delete
  5. Oh Mary, having experienced the pain of a kidney stone less than a month ago, I empathize. The good thing is that once it passes, you feel great!
    When I first came to Gina's blog, I thought it was set in Italy. Her home and gardens perfectly reflect the Italian style (in my mind). What a lovely, lovely place to visit.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. . . . . . and I felt as if I was back in Italy! I have more of the farm to share - G&G have built a magical home, doing much of the work themselves over the years. I honestly have never been in such a beautiful private home, yet felt so comfortable and welcome by such very dear people.

      Yes, that's right you did have one recently! This is my third, two already this year which is most disconcerting!
      I'm just glad it happened while I was on terra firma - not out on a ship!

      Mary -

      Delete
  6. Such a beautiful place!

    I read with great interest your kidney stone story. I was in the ER with my sister-in-law until past midnight just last night. Six long hours. Her name is also Mary and my Mary got very different care. Not that the staff was unkind, but she was sent home to pass the stone on her own! No treatment, no pain meds, zip, nada, nothing. I couldn’t believe it. She has been advised not to have any alcohol, no sodas, no red meat, and no spinach. She is to drink 6 to 8 cups of water daily. Yes, well, thanks...very helpful.

    Hope that you are feeling much better and that it never happens again!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Oh, Mary, I'm sorry to hear you were in such pain. My dad suffered from kidney stones, and I watched him in pain. Thankful you received relief and can now enjoy your time at this amazingly beautiful property.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Wow! So happy you could get relief nearby. I can't even imagine. Hope there is not more pain and problems from the little stone.

    ReplyDelete

I would enjoy reading your comment - thanks so much for stopping by.