Monday, August 20, 2018

Monday morning moments. . . . . .




Another frightening electrical storm at midnight brought us to the front door to watch
 a river rushing down the driveway taking some of the back garden with it!  
This summer's storms have been horrendous here, so much rain falling so fast,
 with thunder and lightening only angry gods could dispatch in the night.  

This morning is lovely with bright sunshine, even a wee bit cooler in the early hours.
The doe is back. Spying her under the fig tree, I grabbed the camera and watched her
 head toward my neighbor's tomatoes. I think she looks healthy but still no other 
family members seem to be with her.





Yesterday I shopped at LIDL and added this bunch of sunflowers to my basket. 
Five stems for $3.99, not bad. I liked that they were still somewhat closed. 
Added greenery from the garden, hosta leaves, variegated privet, a sprig
 of ivy - hopefully they will open fully and be pretty for the week ahead as 
I settle back into daily life after traveling.

New Jersey grown sunflowers.

Are you, like me, ready for Autumn?
I just hope it dries up soon - at least the trees should be
colorful this year as they start to change.

14 comments:

  1. Hi Mary, We had a tree fall on a power pole somewhere in our vicinity because of all the rain and we were without power from 6AM yesterday until 2AM today. Luckily it was cooler in the evening. We spent the day out running errands and having lunch out. Your flowers are beautiful! I am not ready for fall yet, still loving my first summer in this house, though we have had a very rainy summer!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Power outages are truly annoying - and that was a lengthy one!
      I love your new house and hope to visit some day soon x

      Delete
  2. Dear Mary, That last shot is a winner. Only just an hour ago my computer was put back on line. Trouble with new equipment. Glad it wasn't my fault.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. So glad you have your computer running smoothy again!
      The doe saw me at the dining room window and just stared for a couple of minutes. At least she didn't eat the fig!

      Delete
  3. Amazing visitor. Was it actually eating the figs and tomatoes?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ali, I think perhaps she does nibble on the figs, however I know for sure she goes for the tomatoes! She also likes birdseed and the suet cakes out for the birds!
      A nearby neighbor put up a photo of a doe with two little fawns today. I'm wondering if it's the same doe but she hasn't brought her babies to the garden yet. I would love to see them!

      Delete
  4. Oh no! Not the doe again. She is pretty, of course. The sunflower bouquet is very lovely and at such a price. Unheard of here...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I thought they were a bargain Vee - and so fresh, must have flown them in from New Jersey!

      Delete
  5. I love picking up sunflowers at the market and then adding them to other things from our garden. Very lovely!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I'm afraid of storms and heavy rains, so the approaching winter is kind of worrying me.
    The doe in your picture looks lovely!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Send some of that rain our way, Mary, we (our fields, gardens, woods and orchards) desperately need it!
    This and the next week are still busy working weeks, then O.K. and I will finally have our holiday together - two weeks of (hopefully) hiking in the Bavarian Forest... if the weather is hikind-friendly then.
    The doe does indeed look healthy and completely unharmed by the storm.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I love the photos of the doe... photographed so beautifully!

    I pray you don't have any further damage, as I hear more bad weather is heading your way.

    Jane x

    ReplyDelete
  9. Dearest Mary, good morning! WOW! It looks like life indeed is actively inspiring you where you are at! We have deer here as well, but not in my suburb, but we will see them a few miles out as we travel to work! Your sunflowers are powerful beauties, and your visit to my blog is a gentle uplift. Yes, blogging has changed, many moving on to other platforms as I did, to Instagram. How I miss the old days, but like everything else, it all becomes a memory. Enjoy all that your beautiful life offers.

    ReplyDelete
  10. It is amazing that the doe gets so close to you. The flower arrangement you made is truly stunning. Sunflowers are such cheerful flowers - they brighten up any room.

    ReplyDelete

I would enjoy reading your comment - thanks so much for stopping by.