Thursday, August 23, 2018

Pleasures and Passions. . . . . . . . . .



Surely there is nothing more special in life than following your 
dreams and then fulfilling them with passion. Often it takes a lot of
hard work, even physical labor, to put those dreams on paper, to
design what you see and feel in your heart and head, and then
transfer your dreams to a surface.

Gina at ART & ALFALA has done just that over many 
years, decorating the interior walls of her beautiful home with
stunning paint finishes in warm Italian colors.

Here are some of the lovely surfaces in the light-filled guest 
accommodation on the farm, the carriage house, where we stayed. . .  
 . . . and I never wanted to leave! 





The delightful little kitchen area.



One of the two painted balconies on the carriage house. Note the grapes clambering
 up (home to a flock of tiny birds) which Gina tells me are now ripe for picking
 since we were there less than two weeks ago!


Morning coffee here was so special. Later, we crossed the courtyard to the
 main house for a delicious breakfast served on the porch - the chickens 
supplying the just laid eggs, and Gina's homemade jams and 
jellies - it was certainly the tastiest start to the day ever. 
More to come when I show you the lovely interiors of the main
 house where Gina started her painting passion many years ago,
and very special art lesson at Gina's kitchen table!

17 comments:

  1. Gina has created a totally unique and very personal home and all from scratch too - I am in awe of her talent, and also just how beautifully you have showcased it Mary.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Incredible, definitely Rosemary! I have not even been able to do Gina's body of work justice with my amateur photos.

      We talked about how we would like to revert to another age, and both chose our forties! If that were possible, and we had more time, I think between us we could paint a palace. . . . . . .but even that would never be as lovely as the work she has done at the farm. Gina and Mr. G. designed and built the farm before any painting was planned, then the artist in her took over and she must have spent years on ladders creating those awesome paint finishes. . . . . and the ceilings are very high in the main house!
      Mary -

      Delete
  2. I know you had a ball Mary. Such a special place.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Donna I was in heaven - with two angels taking care of me!
      Well three if you count Bob, haha!

      Delete
  3. Dear Mary, you give me too much credit. Yes, I painted a lot and got so sick of it that I left a few places undone. And I think that they will stay that way.
    Mr G helped a lot. He is the one who laid the marble floors. We found out that when you live in a small community you have to learn how to do most things yourself. That was more than 20 years ago when we had a lot of enthusiasm and energy.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh yes, I know Mr. G. did so much too - the floors are really fabulous. Then there are the doors, those huge beautiful ones probably three times the height of you! Between you a dream home was created that's for certain.

      I remember the door you didn't paint to match the other one - perhaps on a quiet day when there's nothing to harvest and no tiles to paint, knowing you and your energy, you'll suddenly decide to do it - if not, it doesn't matter - true beauty is usually imperfect!

      Mary x

      Delete
  4. What a pretty place - very reminiscent of an Italian home.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The colors were breathtaking - Gina's art everywhere!

      Delete
  5. It is so lovely. Rich color can be very soothing. Sometimes I crave color. Looks as if Gina is not at all afraid of color.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Now that is a gorgeous place to stay. I think I would have felt like I was in Italy. Amazing!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, even more beautiful than places where I stayed when in Italy!

      Delete
  7. What a lovely place. It was interesting to read Gina's take on her guest cottage in her post today, and now your view. Any way one looks at it, it's gorgeous.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, all the lovely things come together to make one feel really happy in Gina's home. Perhaps I need to add more color to my cottage - the white and neutrals might become the decor of my past, haha!
      Mary -

      Delete
  8. It is a wonderful home and gorgeous guest house - but I must admit I do not envy the person who has to do the dusting ;-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Meike, not a speck of dust anywhere - just immaculate and beautiful.

      Delete
  9. You've captured the beauty of Gina's guest home perfectly Mary! I am glad you introduced her to me. I am now following her blog.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You will enjoy all Gina shares on her blog Penny.

      Delete

I would enjoy reading your comment - thanks so much for stopping by.