Friday, December 30, 2011

Mosaics from the mountains................

.....brown paper packages tied up with string lace....these are a few of my favorite things.


Many of you already know the incredible mosaic/furniture painting artist Penny at The Comforts of Home in the western North Carolina mountains.  She is such a sweet, talented lady, and her home is not only beautifully styled and decorated, it also houses her Lavender Hill Studio where she creates amazing art. Fortunate to have visited her there a couple of times, I'm hoping to return again before too long. Penny will also be opening a booth in an antiques mall in Hendersonville, NC early in the new year, and there her mosaics, painted furniture, and lighting creations will be available. 


On arriving home from Virginia, I was greeted by a parcel on my front porch. Recently, while checking Penny's ETSY shop here, I fell for this gorgeous French mosaic on vintage silver tray/cheese server.  Do you ever buy yourself a special Christmas gift?  Well that's what I did!


I've decided to display the tray on a stand so I can enjoy Penny's art rather than lay it flat........and it's right here in the dining room where I can look at it while blogging, which of course is often as I've still so much to tell you of my recent trips!


This is perfect...............I love cows, a great Camembert is one of my favorite cheeses, blue and white china/vintage silver - perfection, and the Normandy area of France is still near the top of my travel wish list as I've yet to visit that area.


Thanks Penny - I'm thrilled with my purchase and can't wait to see the beautiful creations you design in the coming year.

12 comments:

  1. What a sweet tray. I will have to check out her etsy. Love the way you have displayed your new treasure ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Good Morning Mary,
    Thank you so much for your sweet words about my, my mosaics and painted furniture! I love seeing where you have it displayed. I am humbled and honored that you wanted a piece of my art in your beautiful home.

    Kent and I are looking forward to the New Year and hope that we will be able to see you and Bob again.
    Much Love,
    Penny

    ReplyDelete
  3. That's a nice tray and I am sure you will enjoy it for years to come. Personally it just upsets me to see broken dishes... I have such a dish fetish.. I'd just load my house down with dishes if I could... wouldn't have a place to sleep (the bed would be full of dishes)- wouldn't have a place to eat (The table would be full of dishes). You see, I am such a dish nut!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Mary, Penny did an awesome job on the tray! It is gorgeous! I love the cow and the blue and white! Enjoy!

    ReplyDelete
  5. That is a very beautiful silver tray with Penny's mosaic art...I love it too, for all the same reasons you enumerated.

    It's a small world, someday I hope to visit Hendersonville (and Ashville too and tour the Biltmore manor...If I'm remembering the name correctly). I have known of Hendersonville for quite a while, as a former boss and his wife own a home there that they spend a month or two at every year.

    ReplyDelete
  6. That is such a pretty piece! You and Penny are lucky to be able to meet in person, exchange ideas and then post about them! (hint, hint!)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Mary, what a great piece! I admire Penny's work and have a black and white piece I purchased several years ago. I know you will enjoy this piece.
    Happy New Year's ~ Sarah

    ReplyDelete
  8. What a lovely piece of art. It looks just perfect there.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Oh Mary how I envy you this delightful piece, Isigny is just a short 10 minute drive away from our home.
    Isigny creme fraiche is wonderful too.
    Sending all best wishes for a happy, healthy & prosperous New Year and fingers crossed we'll see you this side of the pond in 2012.

    ReplyDelete
  10. What a lovely thing to treat yourself to, the mosaic is beautiful. Happy New Year Mary!

    ReplyDelete
  11. I still fondly think about being a Penny's place and seeing all of the pieces she makes. You have a lovely one to enjoy.
    Take Care,
    Ulrike

    ReplyDelete
  12. Wow, this piece of writing is good, my younger sister is analyzing
    these things, so I am going to convey her.

    My blog - mediawiki.gazeta.pl

    ReplyDelete

I would enjoy reading your comment - thanks so much for stopping by.