Sunday, January 30, 2022

Flying, folding and food!


One of our resident Carolina wrens is very chatty today. 
Perhaps it knows more about the weather than 
the local meteorologists! I've noticed how the garden birds
 act differently when inclement weather is on the way or has
 arrived. . . . . . . . . . . . . .especially snow!
Yes, our third weekend in a row with snow which started 
at midnight Friday. At 7 AM yesterday I awoke to just a dusting, 
nothing like they are experiencing north of us!
Stay safe all of you who live in the New York-Boston-New England
areas where unbelievable snow accumulation is breaking records!


Meanwhile, books of all types seem to be central to my life
this weekend, especially cook books - searching for new recipes to 
try on the cold days, such as 19F here this morning, and more
 very cold nights expected through the coming days.
Soups and veggie stews are best.



I prefer bright crinkled Savoy cabbage when making a soup
and, although you can't see them here, the carrots had their lovely
green feathery leaves attached. I usually add at least some of
 them for added nutrients - Vitamins C & K and Potassium.

It turned out well with layers of flavor not usual in a vegetable
soup, such as a splash of unfiltered apple cider vinegar to wake up
 and enhance the other flavors, a piece of Parmesan cheese rind
 to enrich the vegetable broth, (always keep those when you cut them 
off your wedge of cheese as they are very useful - just seal in a bag
 and keep in the fridge, or freezer). 
Cold nights - hot soup - a blazing fire on the hearth.



While doing a little dusting - and oh how dusty it gets in these
 winter months when burning wood in an open hearth - other books
 I've been observing are these that I 'folded' some years ago.
I enjoyed doing that with old hardcover books picked up for a
 dollar or so at thrift shops and used book stores.

 

This morning was bitter early on but the sun is out now and it going to warm 
up to 44F.  A few patches of snow remain and the birds are still hungry. 
Many are coming to feed and drink.The sweet female Eastern bluebird
visited the front porch, and and male Northern flicker spent at least 10 minutes
 on the suet block - his first visit to the garden in quite a while.








Hope everyone is safe during the stormy weather.
Stay warm and here's hoping February will be a better month!







12 comments:

  1. Your soup sounds wonderful. I love making soup on cold days. We woke up here in Naples, Fl to a cold 38 degrees! But the sun was shining, and it is 58 here at 4PM. Enjoy the snow and the fireplace!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Snow! We havent seen any this year. It is the season for lovely warming soups, your bean soup looks very tasty.

    ReplyDelete
  3. as always Mary those are wonderful photos. I have never gardened anywhere that it snows. Mid Summer here and we are picking loads of veges to process as well as eat on the spot or soon after. Hugs.

    ReplyDelete
  4. You are clever, Mary, with your folded pages! A bit of a dusting challenge, I can see :) I also keep parmesan rinds in the freezer but always forget about using them. There's rather a collection happening but I fancy they'll last forever. All my freezer treasures are expected to, hahah!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Ahhhh...sounds as if you are wintering cozily. Your soup sounds delicious.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Yes, snow does calm the garden for sure.
    Nice tips on soups. Love, love the birds and your paper folding in the books!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Dearest Mary,
    Lovely soup you describe here and I too like savoy cabbage!
    Your bird shots are incredible; great feathery resident birdies with happy faces.
    When they've all rounded up their feathers to stay warm in winter, they look so cute.
    Their eyes speak volumes too!
    Hugs,
    Mariette

    PS LOVE your cream ware tureens!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Thank you for your tip with the Parmesan rind - that was new for me. And though I later always sprinkle tender chopped kohlrabi leaves over the cooked ones, I never knew about the green of carrots. Will try it next time.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Wintry comfort food - who doesn't love it! It is my Dad's 80th birthday today, and we'll be having (just the family) a large pot of vegetable stew for dinner. Filling and warm, and easy to serve should any surprise visitors call.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Your soup sounds delicious, Mary, and a steaming bowl is so comforting on a cold and snowy day. I've been reading about that storm that also affected Atlantic Canada and it sounds like a wild one. Stay cozy and warm. Your beautiful chatty wrens are certainly a bright spot.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Soup is wonderful for cold, snowy nights, isn't it? We eat a lot of soup during these cold months. I'll be making another pot of veggie soup (I do put some chicken in at the end if I have leftovers; I also do the same with brown rice) later this week.

    Always love your bird photos!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Mary, soup is always perfect for a cold, wintery day! Your soup sounded so yummy! Our Carolina Wrens have been very vocal here also. They have been flitting around here and there. I love to watch them. The bluebirds have become active again here also. I could watch birds all day around here!

    ReplyDelete

I would enjoy reading your comment - thanks so much for stopping by.