Monday, January 31, 2022

Memoirs - RMS Queen Mary and Me!


News over the weekend included a story of the 'rescue' 
of this beautiful and historic ocean liner which is dear
 to my own heart.


RMS Queen Mary - docked in Long Beach, California


"The landmark Queen Mary ocean liner, owned by the City of Long Beach and a popular tourist attraction and hotel, will be closed to the public for much of 2022 as it undergoes $5 million in “critical repairs.” 

This is good news for fans of the historic ship. After the city took control of the rundown vessel from a financially strapped leaseholder last year, one option under consideration was sinking the ship. The 88-year-old Art Deco-style ocean liner, which has been permanently docked in Long Beach since 1967, has been closed since May 2020 due to COVID-19. The repairs are expected to begin in February, with the plan to reopen Queen Mary to visitors by the end of the year.  A first step in the repair, and expected to be a two-week project, will be removing deteriorating lifeboats. "The lifeboats exert stress on the side shell of the ship which has created severe cracks in the support system,” the city said in its statement. “Removing the deteriorated lifeboats will enhance the structural stability of the ship."  Since the lifeboats are historic objects, Long Beach plans to preserve two for future display and to temporarily store 13 others, while seeing if there is interest from museums or other non-profits that want to preserve the boats.  Other projects include the installation of new permanent bilge pumps to discharge water in the event of an emergency, with additional repairs to follow.  The Queen Mary is a popular filming location, and during the repair period the city still plans to welcome film crews, a move that officials said would help “generate revenue to support the ship operations.”      via The Points Guy website

RMS Queen Mary in her heyday, sailing out of New York and headed to Southampton, England.


The RMS Queen Mary, built during the height of transatlantic ocean travel, sailed more than a million miles and transported over 2 million guests over a career spanning 30 years.  Built by Cunard as a the bigger and more powerful of two ships, the luxury liners and sometimes cruise ships, the Queen Mary and the Queen Elizabeth reigned as a pair providing weekly express transatlantic service.  



February 25, 2006 - the two Queen Marys met for the first time!



This is yours truly just after boarding RMS Queen Mary for my
first transatlantic sea crossing home to England from New York to 
spend Christmas 1964 with my family. Two years earlier I came
 to the USA by air to work in Washington, D.C.
Since then I have sailed on many ships and had many adventures
at sea, but this first memory of crossing an ocean in the bitter
 cold of winter has definitely stayed with me.
The ship was taken out of service in 1967 and has been docked
 in Long Beach ever since.


Today I decided to treat myself to this book.
It's an older book and hard to find at an affordable price - today I
 was lucky and have found a used one online, hardcover, and
supposedly in 'good condition' - I've had it on my 'wish list' for
 several years.  Reviews are awesome - I'll let you know when
it arrives, I'm excited.
I'm missing ships and sailing so reading about them will fill the
 void for now.


 

22 comments:

  1. The Queen Mary is a graceful, elegant-looking ship with those long lean lines. The same could be said for you, hanging onto your hat on the deck. What wonderful memories! Enjoy the book.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, the book is on its way - excited to get it!

      Delete
  2. Dearest Mary,
    What an elegant young Mary in December on the RMS Queen Mary!
    I've never crossed the Atlantic Ocean by ship...
    Hoping it was cozy inside the ship, sure not on the deck in December.
    Enjoy your book!
    Hugs,
    Mariette

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You're so right Mariette, deck time was at a minimum, it was a rough crossing.
      I returned to NY on the Holland-America Line's SS Statendam (the original one - there's a newer one now MS Nieuw Statendam launched 2017)) which was much more stable in the January rough seas! She was a beautiful ship who made her maiden voyage in 1957 - sadly scrapped in 2004. It's hard to keep up with these huge ships which come and go so quickly it seems!

      Delete
  3. Thank you for this, dear Mary!
    Love the picture of you as a young lady - always perfectly turned out, and that 60s style is one I have always liked a lot anyway.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks so much Meike - I did love dressing up in those days. Now I seem so casual and haven't worn high heels in a long time!!

      Delete
  4. When I was about 6 we went to Southampton and were taken onto the QM to look around. It must have been around 1961/2 I thought I was in a Palace, it was so opulent! For years I treasured the souvenir guide book I'd been given. You look smart as Jackie Kennedy as you hang onto your hat. When I was 6 I thought JK was the most glamorous woman on the planet.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Loved your comment Angela - yes, JK was a beautiful woman who dressed as we all would have loved to if we'd had the money! The interior of the original Queen Mary was re-done after WW2 when she was used to transport US soldiers to Europe - as many as 9,000 on board! The Art-deco interior was stunning.

      Delete
  5. I did plenty of short cruises years ago, eg around the Mediterranean or from New Zealand to Australian. A great deal of fun but certainly not luxurious. The Queen Mary ocean liner must have been intended for the wealthy and classy couples, not like us...surrounded by messy children.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Not all were wealthy I can assure you - there was poor me sharing an inside cabin with an American student who was seasick the entire voyage!!! I felt sad for her not ever making it to the dining room!

      Delete
  6. Lovely to learn about your association and memories of travelling across the Atlantic on RMS Queen Mary. I love the photo of you wearing those very fetching "winkle picker" shoes. I had a similar pair in a very soft pearly, pewter-grey leather and I loved them, but I don't think my toes did!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. OMG - "winkle pickers" were so awesome weren't they Rosemary. My favorites were a pair of black patent leather with a wide strap across the instep, from Dolcis. I think I was the first person to wear that style shoe in Washington D.C. along with a mini-skirt in the early 60's! In fact I brought them back here with me from England on the return trip via Holland-America Line's SS Statendam!
      Those were the days and I had the legs back then LOL!!!!

      Delete
  7. Good to know the old Queen Mary is going for a refurbishment: I remember when she went to live in California, and thinking how strange that was. What a wonderful photo of you, so chic in 1964, crossing the Atlantic. You were quite an adventurer! Enjoy your book, what a great purchase to read on a cold and cosy day. xx

    ReplyDelete
  8. Oh, Mary, look at you! Such style! I hope you kept those shoes :) How lucky you were to catch a ride with QM before her retirement. An Art Deco treat of a lifetime, I bet.

    Nearly 5 years ago to the day, we walked past QM2 and the Queen Elizabeth sitting together in Sydney Harbour - not a complete surprise for the rest of the world but we hadn't kept up with the news and were thus completely surprised by our chance encounter.

    ReplyDelete
  9. How wonderful that they are taking on the huge project! I bet you had an amazing time sailing on the ship.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Delightful photo Mary! What a lovely memory.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Hi Mary! I am so glad they aren't going to sink that ship and they are going to restore it. That is such good news! I love that photo of you! How excited you must have been to sail on that ship!! I know you have travelled on many ships but I bet you first trip will always be one of your favorites!! Have a wonderful day!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Fabulous photo, Mary. Iconic like a Mary Tyler Moore tossing her cap whereas you are hanging onto yours. I hope that the repairs go very well indeed. I also hope that there is more travel in your future to satisfy that desire, definitely, a trip home.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Oh, no! Losing the Queen Mary would be a horrible loss! I'm glad they don't intend to sink it. Yikes!! My late husband and I visited the Queen Mary on many occasions, as we lived in the area. Whenever family visited us, we took them there. I've been on the Queen for parties, wedding receptions, drinks with friends. . .oh, so many great memories. Thank you for sharing your experience, Mary. Love that photo of you! So stylish! How wonderful to have actually sailed on the Queen Mary. Hugs.

    ReplyDelete
  14. My mother came to the US on the Queen Mary as a Scottish war bride in 1946 at the age of 20. My father's sisters met her at the port of New York and brought her to their Italian-American home in New Jersey. A major event in our family history.

    ReplyDelete
  15. What a wonderful post Mary! I love that photo of you holding onto your hat. Wonderful memories for you. And though we have never met in person, we do have in common that we have both walked upon the decks of the Queen Mary. You while crossing the sea, and me after she was permanently docked in Long Beach, where I lived for 30 years and where I could look out the window of the building where I worked and gaze across the channel at her every day! I am so happy they came up with a plan to save her. It would have been truly a shame to sink that grand old lady.

    ReplyDelete

I would enjoy reading your comment - thanks so much for stopping by.