Saturday, January 8, 2022

Healing with tea, nature and modern medicine!


January brings so many changes. Here, we've only just started having
 real cold winter weather and it will most likely stay chilly until spring.
I feel comfy. I feel satisfied. If I get my mobility back I am ready to
work at much that requires attention inside the cottage.
The garden is on hold until spring. The last 'leaf collection' by the city 
will arrive soon and Bob has raked and blown millions of them down to
the curb. Living in "The City of Oaks" is hard work once autumn arrives.
Bob has replaced that chore by starting on his major downsizing
 'paper chase' and the shredder is working overtime!  


Yesterday's visit to the hospital pain clinic went well. If the lumbar spine
 injections work I should start to have relief from the terrible nerve pain 
down my right leg in a few more days. Fingers are crossed!
Many thanks to everyone who sent good wishes and kind tips on how
 to handle chronic pain.

This is my favorite tea blend made my super friend Jeanne on her
 farm in New Hampshire. Many of you know this delightful, creative
 writer and photographer from my visits to Tahilla Farm, a most 
beautiful place, and from the many years I've followed her blog
when ex-pat Jeanne and her family lived in so many fabulous
 countries around the globe.


I saved much of the tea Jeanne shared with me last July when we last
 visited - one of only two trips away from North Carolina due to COVID - 
because I love hot tea on these winter afternoons and I knew
this would be a favorite. It brings back memories of Bob and I sipping 
it iced, at the farm, on a hot summer's afternoon with Jeanne
 and her charming husband Mr. H.


Yes, out come the favorite nature books at this time of year - along with
 cookbooks specializing in winter warming soups, veggie stews and
bowls - all making for interesting reading and menu planning.
My latest go-to cookbook for plant-based recipes is Laura Wright's
The FIRST MESS loaded with fabulous food for any time of day. 
Laura also has hundreds of amazing recipes on her blog HERE.
Yesterday we enjoyed Weeknight Root Vegetable Dal (from the
cookbook) and was delicious. There are so many dishes I want to try 
that my own "COVID stuck in the kitchen much of the time days"
will never be boring thanks to Laura!


Before I leave here and get moving on long overdue comments on your 
blog - just a quick look at the wildlife this morning outside the window. 
Because Bob melted the sheet of ice on the fountain, and scattered extra
 peanuts along the porch rails for the hungry birds, two squirrels decided 
to move in and grab breakfast!  Love them/dislike them but understand 
they're hungry too!



Note the gleam in its eye as I'm knocking on the window and
 shouting - stubborn little devils.
We replenished the nuts for the birds!

Have a great Saturday dear friends.


12 comments:

  1. Those naughty little squirrels!
    I do hope you can get rid of the awful pain you have been suffering from, Mary, it must be so debilitating. Tea is a great hekp!

    ReplyDelete
  2. That's the trouble with squirrels; far too intelligent! They arrive as soon as there's any food about; know exactly how to get at it, however difficult we make it for them; and know that someone banging on a window is no threat whatever. I hope that pain relief works, though there's no known remedy for squirrels!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Well, those squirrels must have thought that the nuts were left there for them. I imagine their characters as self- centered as cats, who firmly believe we do things like changing bedsheets only for their pleasure!
    Hope all will go well with your treatment and you‘ll soon be painfree.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Sincerely hope your pain relief works, it must be hard to live with. I always enjoy your blog and look forward to visiting in 2022. Wishing you all the best.

    ReplyDelete
  5. So glad the injection went well, and now to hope and pray for good results. Thanks for the pointer to Laura's blog. I am trying to cook a few more meatless meals each week, but I am not fond of many legumes, so it's a challenge. Perhaps there will be something there that will catch my mental tastebuds!
    Enjoy the tea in your cozy cottage.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I am sending healing thoughts your way that the injections work! That cookbook looks interesting!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hope you are feeling better soon! Nothing better than a good cup of hot tea. Speaking of birds, I must bundle up and go outside and knock the snow and ice out of the bird water dish I keep outside (we don't have a heated one) and fill with fresh water.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Mary, Jeannes tea is delicious! She shared some with me and I love it, very smart of you to save it for cold days. I hope that you are feeling less pain or are pain free after your injection. Do not overdue it once you are pain free, you do not want to hurst yourself. One of these days we must get together. Take care my friend.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Ah, the cheeky little squirrel - great photos, Mary. The tea looks so pretty, I am sure it tastes wonderful too. Like you, I love a cup of hot afternoon tea - we have it year round, whatever the weather. I think it's in our English genes. The Edwardian Lady was very popular here, although I never owned a copy. So lovely to browse through. Your treatment sounds promising, and I am crossing fingers and toes for you :) xx

    ReplyDelete
  10. I love all of the critters and I'm happy to feed them! Mary, I'm so sorry about your nerve pain, I truly hope you heal well. Take care of yourself! Those are some lovely books to have on hand!! ♥

    ReplyDelete
  11. Oh those pesky squirrels! We have been putting corn and peanuts out for this this winter and they are so happy. I certainly hope your nerve pain is soon a thing of the past. I will be checking out the plant based cookbook, as I am trying to go more plant based. Not easy for someone that normally is not planted based.

    ReplyDelete
  12. SO glad you are enjoying the herbal tea Mary, I think you are wise to sip it warm in winter. I hope you are sensing relief from your shot, I can't imagine you not on the move! I have The Nature Notes of an Edwardian Lady and find it so uplifting. Thank you for the cookbook recco. And those squirrels! Clever little creatures. Mr. H and I watched a Zoom lecture on winter birds and they suggested if you can't beat them (squirrels)....provide corn cobs for them to enjoy in their own stations. Something to consider....although I think it might be a case of rewarding them for their efforts! ;)

    ReplyDelete

I would enjoy reading your comment - thanks so much for stopping by.