Monday, July 27, 2015

Celeste figs are ready. . . . . . . . .




Yesterday afternoon when Bob appeared in the kitchen with more figs than 
I knew what to do with (I may pass on jam making this year as we still have a lot 
remaining from last Summer), I decided to try this easy recipe as I had all the
 ingredients on hand. Fast and easy little pastries, really rich and light - I shared 
with my neighbors as we certainly didn't need to eat them all, and they are best
the day of baking while the pastry is crisp.

I'm also sharing bags of fresh figs. People are quite surprised when they 
bite into a fresh fig - many turn up their nose at first thinking they will taste 
like dried figs - but then love the soft, subtle fruit flavor with no tough skin or pits 
to bother with.
I enjoy them for breakfast chopped into Greek yogurt with a dab of wildflower
 honey, or baked in the oven with Acacia honey, butter, and scattered with 
walnuts. I'm now scouring my fig cookbook for new recipes - will share
them later as the figs ripen and pile up on the kitchen island!









Ah, a beautiful fresh and juicy fig, fresh-picked from the garden.
We've started harvesting beautiful plump figs from the largest of our two 
trees, the now huge Celeste
The Brown Turkey is also coming along but, as in other years, 
the Celeste seems to be doing much better here in our growing area. 
The little trees I planted in 2008 are now 10-12 feet tall, and it's just about 
impossible to reach the figs in the topmost branches. 
Guess who's enjoying those tasty tidbits, and it's just fine with us . . . . . . . . many 
birds, especially robins, catbirds, finches and cardinals, and of course our 
resident squirrel family!


9 comments:

  1. What a bounty of figs! Yesterday, I harvested our first figs from our tree. Last year I think a raccoon got them all. We had 4 lovely Brown Turkey figs and I added them to a salad along with cucumbers from the garden, blue cheese and some Canadian Bacon. Delicious.
    Your tarts look amazing, and I'm definitely pinning this recipe because there will be more figs here, I hope.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Lorrie, so glad you are starting to get some from your Brown Turkey, the salad sounds awesome but I'd omit the bacon here! We picked just 4 from our BT tree yesterday, but several pounds from the Celeste!
      I just don't know what to do with so many (have given a bag to each of two neighbors) as they don't keep for long. I do put some in the 'frig and find they continue to ripen, contrary to what many say, so can use them with 4-5 days. I just can't face making more jam though - I have so much left from last year and I feel people are sick and tired of me trying to foist jars off on them!

      Thanks for stopping by dear, I always appreciate your very nice comments -
      Mary

      Delete
  2. Those look lovely and sound wonderful! I wish I was a neighbor!
    Hugs,
    Penny

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love fig season at your place, Mary. You make them look so beautiful. Your photos today look like they belong in a gourmet cookbook. I had never tasted a fresh fig until moving here. Never being terribly fond of the dried version I was pleasantly surprised by how delicious they are. I keep trying to find a spot for one in my garden, but so far it hasn't happened.
    Your neighbors are lucky people :).

    ReplyDelete
  4. Dear Mary, Oh what I would give to have a taste of those delectable figs of yours. I love figs but our climate is not moderate enough for us to grow them or I would. Your fig tarts look amazing and no doubt, taste amazing.

    ReplyDelete
  5. These figs look like mine. Now I wondering if that is the variety we have. They won't be ripe for quite awhile, but this year (if the squirrels, birds, and raccoons don't get them) we will have enough to really enjoy with a batch of fig jam and a tart or two. Can't wait. Thanks for the recipe, yummmmmm!

    ReplyDelete
  6. So - you've got enough figs to keep everyone going then? I'm sorry, Mary, I've always had a terrible, schoolboy, sense of humour! That aside, they do look wonderful and fresh figs do taste fabulous. I also made a nice starter with baked fresh figs and blue cheese once. They don't grow in our part of the world, but we're very proud of our giant courgettes this year - our first crop, grown from seed.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Yum! These are a unique way to serve fresh figs. Printing off the recipe. Thanks, Mary!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Your figs are gorgeous and the finished tarts on the platter is photographed beautifully Mary. Wish I were your neighbor too.

    ReplyDelete

I would enjoy reading your comment - thanks so much for stopping by.