Monday, September 10, 2018

Fall Fashion & Hurricane Florence. . . . . . . . . . .


Good Monday morning friends.
Hopefully we here inland and along the southeastern coast will get
 through this week safely. Being in the path of Hurricane Florence is 
very unnerving to say the least!


On the way to drop off something at my nearby mall a few days ago, couldn't
 help but notice, the larger than life sized photo (above) in one of the H&M display
 windows. I love it - both the photo and the coat!


I looked at it again online and decided no way did I need a 'Polar bear' coat living
 down south! 
I already have a small collection of longer coats, love them all, however 
we don't get enough cold weather to wear them too often. 
When traveling to colder climes there's no way to stuff this one into a
 suitcase. . . . . . unless I take everything else out!


I did however check out the new sweaters in H&M. I've had good luck with their 
sweaters. Their styles, colors and affordable prices, this one is just $19.99,
mean I can keep my sweater wardrobe current without spending a fortune.
I like this relaxed style with the slightly longer back, dropped shoulders and ribbed
cuffs and hem. I needed this one in beige tones but it comes in several other
colors also.



One drawback is the possibility of the yarns pilling after some wear. 
This I can live with and, quite honestly, it happens to just about all sweater
 knits, even merino wool and expensive cashmere. . . . . . which is why investing
 in one of these battery operated lint shavers (mine is a Dritz) is worthwhile.
 I purchased mine at JoAnn Fabrics at a good savings by using a discount
 coupon. it really works well. . . . . . . . today I'm actually 'shaving' my sweaters
as I plan to head north again soon!

Today we will commence hurricane preparation all across North Carolina.
Last night's TV coverage showed grocery store shelves already cleaned
 out of necessities such as bottled water and non-perishable food items!
This is a very stressful time for us all and we'll be battening down
the hatches over the next few days.

 

12 comments:

  1. The colors are beautiful and soothing...

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh dear, this hurricane is getting serious! Fingers crossed for you all. That coat appeals to me too, and for the same reason I could not justify owning it. As it is, I have several warm wool coats, mainly worn when travelling. The H&M sweater is great - I wish they had it at our local store! I have had some good clothes from H&M, which wear well. Love that electric pill shaver too.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh that nasty weather report hovering over you. I always pray that the thing turns and goes away. All the best with the preparations. I know that they are important to your comfort and well being. Don’t forget the chocolate!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Dear Mary,
    We are keeping fingers crossed that you will not be in the middle of the hurricane. It looks like it will be one of the worst ever. We are worried about you.

    Just this morning I was looking for a solution to "clean up my sweaters". Thank you for solving a very bothersome problem with my cashmere sweaters. I will stop by Joann Fabric tomorrow.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I will be thinking of you Mary. Nothing quite like a hurricane. Houston is just recovering finally. Hoping all the birdies get an extra share of food before it hits. Read it could bounce off the outer islands and head off. Sure hope so!

    ReplyDelete
  6. OOh, here's to safety for you through this upcoming storm, Mary! Never even thought of that as of course it can hit your area.

    Well, if you are hunkered down, go to town with that lint shaver! They re the best. A total godsend, really. :)

    And yes, love that coat (and photo above) but you are right, a little impractical for travel. The lighter weight option is lovely too though. Ha, I love it hen you do these fashion posts...true to your own design and textiles background.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Fill the bathtubs with water and wait it out. Hopefully, damage for everybody along the coast will be minimal, Mary.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Sweater weather sounds very appealing right about now and I like the one you have added to your wardrobe. It looks very comfy.
    We are keeping our fingers crossed that this hurricane will lose strength or veer off course. I know it must be unnerving to be closer to the coast at times like this. You are in my thoughts.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Thanks to you, I also love sweaters at H&M. Now I must go there. I need one of those shavers too. I always love your fashion coverage.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Dear Mary,
    Keeping you in my prayers as you batten down the hatches in preparation for Florence's arrival. I hope she changes direction.
    Sweater weather is here!

    hugs,
    Lorrie

    ReplyDelete
  11. Dear Mary,
    We’ve just seen a piece on our 6pm news about Hurricane Florence on its way to North Carolina. They mentioned that one million people have been ordered to evacuate......
    Of course I immediately thought of you and Bob. No doubt you are well prepared for such dramatic weather conditions, as you said ‘time to batten down the hatches’.
    Stay safe dear Mary and I will pop in again tomorrow.
    Take care
    Love and hugs
    Shane😘xxx

    ReplyDelete
  12. Love the sweater you chose. You are closer to the coast than we are Mary. Sending safe wishes to you and Bob.
    xo

    ReplyDelete

I would enjoy reading your comment - thanks so much for stopping by.