Thursday, February 20, 2020

Let's Paint. . . . . . before the snow falls!



The choices are overwhelming!  
You have probably gone through it yourself. 
Choosing a new paint color for your walls.  
Visiting a paint store will start your head spinning. . . . . . . there are literally
 thousands of colored paint chips, cans of sample colors, and piles of 
brochures showing awesome photos of room settings in every colorway
 under the sun.


If you want grey, don't pick this one - it's very blue!


I needed three colors for bedroom walls, walk-in bedroom closet and
 the entry hallway.
Above was my first choice - below is what I ended up with.


This strip made all that searching and buying expensive sample cans 
(Benjamin Moore's are $7.99) much easier (though I did buy four and
 will have little pots of paint to use for other projects!). 
 Being able to run with a coordinated paint strip, once I set my sights
 on the Chelsea Gray for for the bedroom walls, was great.


Before - the greenish blue walls - quite pleasant for many
 years - with the much disliked popcorn ceiling (a hex on whoever invented
 that 80's dust-catching, impossible to re-paint, finish!).  All the ceilings
 of the cottage are now smooth thankfully.
Carpet will be going, hopefully tomorrow when the new floor is laid. 

Snow is forecast for tonight - our first of the season. 
This late in February is quite a surprise, and this being the south
 the city is already going crazy with early school closings, and
the run on the grocery stores began last night!


During - first coat. Chelsea Gray, described as "a sophisticated dark warm gray". . . and
 I'm in love with it!  
Note ceiling now scraped smooth and freshly painted, such a huge difference. 
New ceiling fan installed last evening.


Bruce, who has done most of my painting for many years, rolling the
 first coat, a second coat done later made the color richer and even.

Here's the finished paint. I realize some screens may not show the color
perfectly - but hopefully you get a close idea.

Will share more before and after shots another time. 
As mentioned, furniture is on its journey across country. . . . . . .
taking the scenic route I do believe!
This means plenty of time to do good spring clean. . . . . . . 
after what I'm hoping will be a white wonderland when I awake
tomorrow. I will pull on my boots and bobble hat and go outside
to photograph the birds.  Bob is filling the feeders as I write!


11 comments:

  1. Color choices are beautiful! I recently had my bedroom and adjoining bath painted a soft blue, carpet which is essential in our climate, is darker military blue which works with the lighter walls. Enjoy the process and enjoy your little burst of Winter.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Lovely, Mary.
    Grey is such a calming colour and I know it is one of your faourites!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh, Mary, I am loving that paint choice! Be glad when your furniture gets there and see everything in place. Have a great, snowy weekend. This is crazy! Such a warm winter and now this... white stuff!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Those colors are wonderful! It started snowing here about a half hour ago and boy is it coming down!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Your greys look very warm and soothing and I am sure the room will look wonderful when everything is in place. Enjoy the snow!

    ReplyDelete
  6. How exciting to see the new color going up on the walls. I agree, choosing just the right shade can be overwhelming. I was glad to have input from the experts when I last had to go through the process. I think you have made beautiful selections and do hope you will update us when the new furniture is in place.
    Snow is in the forecast over here too, although so far it's been rain.

    ReplyDelete
  7. This is going to be so pretty, Mary! Great paint choice colors.

    Funny you're getting snow and we are clear and dry here in Illinois. Thought it is really cold - 16 degrees.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Love your Chelsea Gray colour very much - busy spring cleaning here, but I am gradually running out of momentum. Just hope I can keep it up until the whole house is completed.

    ReplyDelete
  9. When it came to redecorating my bedroom and living room a few years ago, I knew from the start that I wanted my favourite colours: light grey and yellow for the living room, light blue and yellow for the bedroom. For the living room, I picked the colour scheme from my grandma's old flower vase. For the bedroom, it was the same yellow; the light blue was easy to choose. Also, I found the wallpaper for one papered wall in each room (I believe this is called a "feature wall") in a pattern book at the paint shop - Asian-style flowers. I chose the same wallpaper in two different colours (one light grey, one light blue) so that the rooms "come together".
    Your greys look very nice and elegant, and your painter knows what he's doing! Good thing to have the popcorn finish removed. Smooth is much better, isn't it!

    ReplyDelete
  10. I love the color that you picked. Not sure what happened to my previous comment but I was saying that I HATE to pick paint colors.

    ReplyDelete
  11. You have such a good eye for color. I love the way you decorate. That Chelsea Grey is lovely. I could live with it for sure. Looking forward to seeing the finished room.

    ReplyDelete

I would enjoy reading your comment - thanks so much for stopping by.