Sunday, February 2, 2020

Teatime on a rainy afternoon -




On the way to Sligo, Ireland on a rainy afternoon - June 2019.
Photo from the bus window.

Beautiful music for teatime from the piano of  Brian Cain 


It was raining here in Raleigh on a recent afternoon - not a drenching rain
 such as often experienced in Ireland last year - but wet enough to
 stay indoors, bring out a favorite mug (Emma Bridgewater's "Happiness is a 
Cup of Tea & A New Magazine & A Bar of Chocolate"), and enjoy a nice
 calming herbal infusion of camomile tea. 


I didn't have a bar of chocolate but I enjoyed small, but perfect for dipping, 
Italian Crunchy Figs & Almonds biscotti - Fatti a Mano (meaning handmade). 
I found a pretty bag of these in that always interesting imported foods section 
of my local HomeGoods store at Christmas - a favorite place to search for
 delicious items not carried in regular grocery stores.
Do you ever check there for food items?
TJMaxx has a similar but smaller section.

I've baked 'handmade' biscotti, but not recently. A bit time
consuming but always fun and I must make some again soon.


Some of my more interesting tea bags I have to admit I've picked up from
mostly European hotels and airport lounges. . . . . and many when on
 board ships!  
Those overseas locations, always have such an interesting array of 
teabags - which makes me think they still love their tea more than coffee,
 which usually seems first choice for a hot drink here in the USA.

Not certain where this particular teabag traveled home from - but
it was really good and so alluring when I opened the "Hand-Stitched
Silken Tea Pillow"  which expanded when the hot water was poured
and the camomile buds opened.


Where do you purchase your tea bags or loose tea?
I buy a lot when visiting home in England - two of my favorites being the
 Empress Grey and Pure Origin Ceylon available from Marks & Spencer.  
Quite honestly, despite being English, my knowledge of tea is minute!
I never liked or drank tea growing up. It was basically strong loose black
 tea brewed in my mother's teapot, and I really only started enjoying
different teas, black, green and herbal, perhaps 25 years ago. 

I'm dedicating this 'tea post' to my fabulous Portland, Oregon friend
We met many years ago through our blogs, and some years back
 (in 2013 - wow how time flies!) Bob and I were able to meet Marilyn and
 her charming husband Jim in Portland. 
Being an extremely knowledgeable tea expert Marilyn introduced me to
 exciting new teas . . . . I just know you will love her relaxing teatime posts, 
both indoors, outside in her garden and greenhouse, in the countryside, 
 at the beach, and especially at the stunning Lan Su Chinese Garden in
Portland where she took us one afternoon.
  Marilyn's beautifully written words, and the thought-provoking poetry she
shares, make for perfect reading with your own cup of tea, so do stop by
 her great blog if you haven't done so before.

12 comments:

  1. Hi Mary :) I'm not a tea drinker, well, I do like herbal teas, but for some reason black tea gives me heartburn! Alex likes Earl Gray, but we don't really have a good tea shop in this area, we normally just buy the Twinings loose tea in a can.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am not a tea drinker. For some reason, I never developed a taste for it. However, I enjoy herbal teas as long as they taste fruity. Your camomile tea in its silken tea pillow sounds very intriguing band sophisticated.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love tea. I don't drink nearly enough of it. Kent and I usually have a coffee break mid afternoon. I am off to check out your friends blog.

    ReplyDelete
  4. How lovely! It's loose tea always, here. I've four teapots and have been eyeing off another one in a local antique shoppe for a few months but really can't justify the $$ or cupboard space. I may still weaken yet. For quick cups I've two infusers as well. So handy! Even though coffee is rather an industry here, tea is still a big thing in Australia. Supermarkets stock a wide variety but I like to buy loose tea in two specialty places, one of which has a long menu to choose from, divided into style then variety then geographic region, plumped out with organic choices and fair trade and what not. It's so old-fashioned and you get to look and sniff before choosing. I also get dried herbal teas from a specialty herbalist and mix my own concoctions as the fancy takes me. Sometimes I'll just pluck a couple of sprigs of lemon balm to plonk straight into a mug if the clump by the clothesline catches my eye. It's a very soothing drop.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I LOVE that mug! Such apt words. I do love tea and follow Marilyn's blog. She and Jim were up in Victoria for a trip a few years ago and we met for tea. Such a lovely couple. She recently sent me some Darjeeling tea that was delicious. I like the Twinings brand and also Yorkshire teas.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I am not all that much of a tea drinker, either; coffee (never more than 3 cups/mugs a day) and tap water are my staple drinks during the week, with the odd G&G, Aperol Spritz or other cocktail added on weekends, and of course I love our cheese & wine suppers when I arrive at O.K.'s late on a Friday night after a busy week at work and long travelling.
    Your biscotti look like Cantuccini. O.K.'s sister sometimes makes them at home, they are the best Cantuccini I know, and perfect for dipping in espresso (or Marsala, which I have not had in ages).

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I too thought they were smaller than my regular biscotti but they are not as tiny as Cantucci - and the best of those for me were in gobbled up in Firenze many years ago when we bought a lot during our touring around beautiful Tuscany.

      As I write I'm dipping mine in sherry as I don't have Marsala or Vin Santo!

      Delete
  7. Dear Mary,
    I like tea now and then, especially with home made Biscotti. I grow peppermint and Camomile and I harvest my Linden tree blossoms. My favorite drink is hot milk with a splash of coffee. I drink green tea now and then. So you see, I am not an expert on any beverage.
    Thanks for the reminder to bake biscotti. It's been at least a year.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I'm one of those rare people who like both tea and coffee! I drink one big cup of coffee first thing in the morning, but then in the afternoon, I love a cup of tea. You should see the assortment I have here; Early Grey for black tea, several varieties of green tea, and all kinds of herbal teas. Both loose leaf and bagged. I find my teas just about everywhere...in the grocery stores here which have fabulous selections, HomeGoods (yes, I do shop the food section there like you mentioned), specialty shops that carry hand-blended loose leaf teas, and online.

    In the summer, I love iced tea - again, all kinds (black, green, herbal) and keep a pitcher of fresh-brewed tea in my fridge.

    I will visit the blog you told us about!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Wow! Thanks, Mary! I am slow to read this post. Oh how I do enjoy a good cup of tea. Your teabags are so pretty and yummm biscotti. I do love stopping at HomeGoods occasionally to browse the food section. It is fun to bring home something I wasn't expecting to find there. What a treat for teatime. Yes, how time does fly. I really, really want to come your way one of these days. March 25th I am leaving for a tea adventure and so excited.

    ReplyDelete

I would enjoy reading your comment - thanks so much for stopping by.