Tuesday, May 12, 2020

Doves are such loves!


All my garden birds are favorites, but these Mourning doves are extra special.
Quiet, refined, gentle, mate for life, roughly 7-10 years. 
They share two weeks of incubation duties (usually two eggs) - female at night, 
male during the day, then for two more weeks they both feed the fledglings.

Mourning dove : Zenaida macroura

Yesterday -
I have four bird baths - this pair of doves often sit on this particular one
 for long periods - perhaps they like sharing with the little statue, or
the camellia bush for privacy.


This past week I sent Bob to Home Depot to purchase 'mosquito dunks' for my birth baths.  
First time I've used them but as they are apparently harmless to birds and wildlife, 
other than killing mosquito larvaeI'm going to try them in hopes of keeping the
 mosquito numbers down in the garden.
After that one season (2018) of the garden being sprayed by
 professionals every 3 weeks, and noticing a huge decline in 
mosquitoes. . . . . . . .but no bees or butterflies, I cannot do that again. 
It's a really tough time dealing with the flying biters who enjoy feeding on me, 
and making summertime really miserable when I'm outdoors, but we so need
 to protect our bees and butterflies.
To think I spent so much time in African countries and was never bitten by
 a mosquito. . . . . .but am bitten as soon as I walk out my door here!

Anyone used the dunks?
Please let me know if they helped and lowered your mosquito population.

. . . . . . . and now there's the new flying insect to arrive - so far just in the Northwest 
of the US - the deadly, huge, horrible Asian Murder Hornet. 
As much as I love Washington State, and have often thought of relocating there, 
I'm going to stay put and take my chances with the mosquitoes.
Enough said!!!!!!

7 comments:

  1. This of course comes to mind...
    Oh, for the wings, for the wings of a dove,
    Far away, far away would I rove!
    Oh, for the wings, for the wings of a dove,
    Far away, far away, far away, far away would I rove!
    In the wilderness build me a nest,
    And remain there forever at rest
    In the wilderness build me, build me a nest,
    And remain there forever at rest..
    (and there's more)..

    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yLGs_l6tFuA

    Mosquitoes in the UK....

    No one likes the idea of being bitten by mosquitoes, midges or gnats..
    There are more than 30 native mosquito species in the UK, some of which
    bite and others that are just a general nuisance and do not carry disease..
    So..Mosquitoes don't cause major harm in the UK, but in some parts of the
    world they can spread serious illnesses such as malaria..Horrid things..! :(.

    ReplyDelete
  2. SO SO happy to see this. I love animals, birds. So many people posting with the Spring eggs about to hatch in the beautiful little nests. With this shutdown I'm hoping our lives will turn inward more and more. Reading instead of gaming (our kids), visiting other people's homes, instead of going out. Although, going to dinner is still one of my favorite things, and I MISS THAT SO MUCH. Tired of cooking for myself. Hope all is well with you, darling friend. Love you !!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh my word, Mary, a 'normal'hornet is dangerous enough. We had them in France and were warned to go to the hospital if we were stung. Let's hope you dont have any coming your way.

    ReplyDelete
  4. The mourning doves are daily visitors here too. We get a kick out of how they bob their heads while walking. Your photos are lovely and really show off their interesting feathers.
    I think it is great that you are seeking out a mosquito solution that is kind to the beneficial insects. I am not familiar with the dunks. Hope they work for you. Be sure to report back on that, will you?

    ReplyDelete
  5. They are incredibly beautiful birds. I know nothing of the dunks, but I do use a dynatrap™️ for insects. It does not attract bees, hornets or butterflies, but does a splendid job on the mosquitoes. I couldn't be outside at all without one.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Oh, Mary, I feel your pain with the mosquitoes. They love me, too. When I lived in California it was bliss because the state has mosquito abatement. I don't know if it endangered other species, but it surely was nice to be able to be outdoors without getting bitten. I hope your dunks work. The mourning doves are so pretty. Great photos! Hugs, Nancy

    ReplyDelete
  7. Dear Mary,
    I love Mourning Doves and I love the sound they make. Your photos are stunning.

    ReplyDelete

I would enjoy reading your comment - thanks so much for stopping by.