Wednesday, May 6, 2020

The language of flowers -


The symbolic language of flowers has been recognized for centuries in many
countries throughout Europe and Asia. Flower meanings have fascinated people
 for centuries. The special symbolism of flowers became a very popular pastime in
 Victorian homes of the 1800's where, alongside a Bible, they often had guidebooks
to decipher the 'language' of flowers. 
You of course know the red rose was used to openly express feelings of
 love - but did you know the pink rose represents grace, happiness and gentleness?


Today my pale pink New Dawn rose is blooming on the back fence and I must
admit its grace is certainly bringing me happiness.



The Victorians believed the human quality associated with the peony was
 'bashfulness', a gentle old fashioned word, but sadly not heard so much
 these days.



Rain and storms seem to have disappeared from the weather forecast.
An amazing week ahead is showing days of abundant sunshine, perfect 
daytime temperatures in the sixties and seventies, with cooler nights once again.
I planted my dahlia tubers yesterday - a first for me - and am so hoping they 
grow and bring summer color later.
The tomatoes are doing OK and I think the naughty rabbits have moved
 on to another neighbor's garden!
I scrubbed the last of the pollen off the deck furniture, blew the 
cobwebs out of the gazebo to enjoy warm evening suppers without spiders!
The front porch is clean and bright and providing our outdoor seating
throughout the day - waving to passing walkers - enjoying a drink. . . . .until
 the beastly mosquitoes arrive!
  Growing and blooming should be continuing with assistance from the
 garden hose. . . . . . . and what's more enjoyable than being outside
surrounded by beauty, blooms and birds at this time in the world!


11 comments:

  1. That's quite a bouquet of flowers you've shown us there. Shakespeare was also big on the language of flowers if I remember rightly from my schooldays.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Exquisite photography! My son has been going for daily 25+ mile bicycle rides on the Neuse River Trail ... really enjoying the RDU Spring weather.

    ReplyDelete
  3. You have some beautiful flowers. My New Dawn is covered in buds and I can't wait for them to open!

    ReplyDelete
  4. It all sounds wonderful, Mary. Have always enjoyed tales of domesticity.

    ReplyDelete
  5. So very enjoyable Mary, beauty , blooms and the delights of birdsong.

    ReplyDelete
  6. At a time like this your images were balm to the mind. Thank you.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I love peonies, they have never grown happily for me. Your new dawn is beautiful too. Isn't it lovely how we are slowing down and appreciating our gardens more, birds are coming more frequently and the air is cleaner since flights stopped (for me anyway living near an airport!).

    ReplyDelete
  8. Dear Mary,
    You own the prettiest rose I have ever seen.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Your flowers are so beautiful! 63 and sunny here yesterday and today, but cold this weekend. Can you believe it's going down to 28 degrees tomorrow night?! And Sunday, Mother's Day, will only be high of 48 and raining. I can't wait until our warm weather is here and STAYS here!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Our roses only produce a flower or two at a time. I'm wondering whether we overwater them. Yours are lovely and so are the peonies.

    ReplyDelete
  11. We have a naughty rabbit that visits our garden, but he's looking quite handsome in his spring coat so we don't stay irritated at him chewing on things. Your photos are lovely as is your garden of beautiful flowers.

    Wishing you a happy weekend....
    Brenda

    ReplyDelete

I would enjoy reading your comment - thanks so much for stopping by.