Wednesday, May 13, 2020

Rustic baking, birds and squirrels -


Yesterday I baked a rustic raspberry buttermilk cake - because I had a lot of fruit
at hand which required eating. I like most fruits cooked rather than raw - swallowing
and digesting is much easier for me. 
I've made this cake for years - go HERE for the original recipe - but this time
 I changed pans. I tried it in a deeper French fluted removable bottom pan which
 made it more of a cake than the original shallower and larger in circumference
 coffeecake. I also changed vanilla essence to almond essence - raspberries and
 almonds go together perfectly.
It took longer to bake but turned out really well and, with a scoop of freshly
 whipped heavy cream, made a great dessert.
Going to have to work on the 'pandemic weight gain' soon!



An afternoon garden break - with my camera of course - enabled me to get some
 good bird shots as we had filled the feeders.
Above is the cutest, very young I believe, Northern mockingbird trying out the 
suet feeder.  I used to be able to stand on one leg like that. . . . . and not fall over!!!



We have dozens of Northern cardinals with us year round - many have nested
 in the garden again this year. This is a handsome male and, although not quite as
 deep red as in the winter months, he is one of the brightest flashes of color in
 the garden year round.


Some days it feels like we have more dastardly squirrels than birds! 
This Spring they are everywhere,
I'm sure there was a spike in the birth rate around February.
It's love-hate relationship. . . . . they are clever and cute, but they're
digging in my pots, chewing my tomato leaves (along with the rabbits),
and, as always, gorging themselves on birdseed which they knock out
of the feeders.
I tossed out a few frozen blueberries to see what they would make of those -
my goodness, this one was there in a heartbeat and gobbling them up nonstop!



They are definitely bright-eyed and bushy tailed at this time of year - and look so healthy.
Doubt there are any viruses bothering them currently!

Hope your week is going well.
Stay strong.

10 comments:

  1. That cake looks wonderful, and you have chosen the perfect plate for it, too!
    Love the cute young mocking bird, what a great picture!

    ReplyDelete
  2. HeHe! I have to confess! I'm partial to squirrel..
    Well..someone has to keep the population down,
    and that someone is me..with a little help from
    my friends..(song there somewhere)..
    If anyone would like the recipe..don't be afraid
    to ask..

    I do love those rustic cakes, well, anything rustic
    really..
    Couple years ago, l saw a recipe on Julie's Blog
    post from New Zealand..
    http://mythreadbearlife.blogspot.com/
    She revealed a cake..from New Zealand called
    Scroggin Slice..it looked amazing..so my daughter
    made me one..amazing..simply amazing..!
    Recipes are on line for them..give it a try, kids
    will love it to..! :).
    As Marie Antoinette said.."Let them eat cake"?
    ☕🍰☕🍰☕🍰☕🍰☕🍰☕🍰☕🍰☕🍰☕🍰☕

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Willie I cannot resort to culling the squirrels - although a former neighbor used to do that! Have to live with the varmints - and they are less troublesome than our other garden visitors - foxes, the herd of naughty plant eating but pretty deer, raccoons, possums. . . . . and recena coyote!!!!!!

      Delete
  3. What a stunning bird the Cardinal is. As you know, we dont have them here, but I would love to see them in my garden.

    ReplyDelete
  4. The birds are beautiful; the squirrels are cute. There are so many around here that they give me the creeps. They literally chew on my deck and stairs. I think they are keeping their teeth ground down, but they sure are making a royal mess.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Dear Mary,
    When are you going to make a "Book of Birds". Now is a good time when you are not so busy visiting far corners of the world.

    ReplyDelete
  6. That cake looks so good! Pretty bird and squirrel shots.

    ReplyDelete
  7. You have selected the perfect plate for that cake. It is almost too pretty to eat.
    The little mockingbird is so sweet.
    Well doesn't it figure that Mr. Squirrel would even enjoy frozen blueberries.

    ReplyDelete
  8. The cake looks delicious and I love the plate! Your photos are so pretty!

    ReplyDelete
  9. That cake with the fluted edge looks so elegant and delicious! I fear a rabbit has moved into the not-very-cared-for garden across the fence and it likes to come and nibble on my lettuces and more. I have not put out my tomatoes yet, and am dismayed that they will nibble those, too. I'll be thinking of some sort of protection for them.
    Such pretty birds visit your feeders. The cardinals add such a splash of colour, and the little mockingbird on one foot is utterly adorable.

    ReplyDelete

I would enjoy reading your comment - thanks so much for stopping by.