Tuesday, June 9, 2020

Let's fly away. . . . . .



Flying is really on my mind right now.
In my email this morning there's a lengthy detailed missive
from American Airlines regarding their plan for future flying.
It caught my eye with the promise of earning many extra points -
only thing is when will we ever be able to use them!
Following were reams of information detailing what the airline will
be doing to keep us safe from the virus, both in flight and at the airports
they serve. Goodness me, just getting onto a plane had become hard enough
 prior to COVID-19, now it appears it will be much, much more difficult. . . . and
then one will still sit in that seat and remain afraid both during and after the 
flight is long completed.
Personally I don't think I can fly anywhere yet - especially overseas which is
where I want to go!


I snapped this photo in Kenya in 2016 as our plane came in - and yes, that is the 
runway! - to the Mara to fly us back to Nairobi.  
 I also recall many other wonderful flights in very small planes when visiting African 
countries - it's the main transportation to get about.  
I wonder how those little airlines will cope in the months ahead.
The safari business is suffering just like all other forms of tourism.


All these photos were taken by me during that Kenyan visit.  
The beautiful animals are still there I'm sure, perhaps living life a little quieter
 without Range Rovers and camera-laden tourists bothering them.


Night time curfew has been lifted here but we'll still remain at home. 
Visiting and eating in a restaurant would be a real treat, but staying
 healthy is more important!

Heavy cloud cover, very hot, no rain due today - thinking of baking, 
soup making, with garden watering later.
Anything exciting planned for your day?



12 comments:

  1. Your picture are beautiful. No plans here to travel in the near or distant future. I am planning on baking some bread today. Better get to it!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I wouldn't also fly anywhere yet. It was not pleasant before Covid due their many controlls etc. but can you imagine now?..no.no.no

    ReplyDelete
  3. Much love of travel in these pictures. How I would love to be going somewhere with all that credit I have with United Airlines. Hoping for next year. My excitement for this week was my weekly outing to the market this morning. I hadn't been to Trader Joe's since February and finally ventured there today. I felt safer with all their protections than anywhere else. They are doing a great job. Going early morning there were only 3 of us in line waiting to get in, so I got in and out quickly. Now this afternoon an online class and then a walk in the neighborhood. Whew! It is a huge challenge to venture out.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Beautiful photos of your trip. Like you and many others, we're staying close to home and have no plans to travel in the near or even more distant future.

    It's lovely that you have photos to look back on and remember past visits to places you loved to see. I have been doing that with my photos of our recent trips to Great Britain in 2016 and 2017.

    Wishing you a great day...stay safe.
    Brenda xox


    ReplyDelete
  5. Yes, my excitement was actually getting in the car and driving to the plant center to purchase some potting soil. I have the plants and no potting soil. I'm saving the planting for tomorrow. Gotta spread the excitement around.

    How wonderful that you have your beautiful photos to remember by. Next year will be much better for traveling. ✈️ You will fly and cruise again, I am sure.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Oh what beautiful photos Mary. I need to go somewhere where there is an ocean. Instead I'm covering vegetables and flowers with blankets because we will have lows of 28 degrees tonight. It was in the nineties only last week. I'm keeping fingers crossed and hope that my fruit trees will survive during the night. The In-floor-heat is being repaired today and I helped fix the drip system along the tree line. A 25 year old grape vine did not make it through the winter. But in-between I did bake 2 loaves of No-Knead-Bread.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Your photos are awesome! Nothing major going on here in Bend, Ho hum.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Good evening Mary, I recently read that you are supposed to turn up at the airport for a domestic flight 4 HOURS ahead of time! Are you kidding me? Are we supposed to sleep overnight for an International flight? I am not flying anytime soon and cannot even imagine what a pain it will be when travel starts back up again. I hope that you have a great week.

    ReplyDelete
  9. To answer your last question, my plans for today are: Work, see my parents for a brief visit, go running with my friend, shower, meal, read/watch TV, talk to O.K. on phone, sleep - not very exciting :-)
    As for going to restaurants for meals, I guess I will wait a long time before that becomes enjoyable again. A friend of mine was invited to a restaurant last week and told us "girlfriends" in a video chat about the experience; it did not sound nice at all, with face masks, distance markings on the floor, plastic-covered menue smelling of disinfectant and a completely empty table, not even a flower on it.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Oh, to fly away would be lovely! I'm in the last couple of weeks of this teaching on-line gig and I'm so done with it. The students are, too. I'm hoping to get to some sewing or gardening later this afternoon. Not much going on.

    Your African safari photos are so wonderful - it's great to see them again.

    ReplyDelete
  11. We will travel in due course, obviously it will be a bit different for sure. I love Africa when I went there a few years back. Enjoyed looking at you photos. Thanks for sharing again.
    Patricia

    ReplyDelete
  12. I so want to travel too, a trip to Jamaica was cancelled in April due to cv19 - I can't see how it is safe to travel until we have a vaccine and the airlines are going to suffer and might not be able to survive until that happens. Past travel memories have become so much more precious to me now, usually I am greedily planning our next adventure, but this year we are sorting out ancient videos and collating them for our children as what was once a boring old tape in the loft has become treasure we want to preserve!

    ReplyDelete

I would enjoy reading your comment - thanks so much for stopping by.