Thursday, June 18, 2020

Wonderful Women. . . . . .



I've met all these women during my travels and I'm betting not a single one of them is losing sleep or pulling out her hair because of NEW Blogger!  Each is a special woman of the world. Their countries, Japan, India, Vietnam, Thailand, Sri Lanka, Botswana, Zambia etc. may be different in many ways, but beautiful ladies working hard, smiling big, enjoying life, are probably not sitting around for hours wondering about how to post on a blog, right? Hopefully they are well, happy, and getting on with their lives.

Now I'm beginning to wonder myself as to why I'm doing just that. . . . . . .sitting here frustrated, wasting time, angry, and wondering why there are people out there, somewhere, making decisions to change what has been so easy and successful for millions of people for so long.

They even call the old and apparently doomed version, 'LEGACY Blogger' - shouldn't a legacy
 remain, be always available?

This was an eye opener when I looked up the meanings of 'legacy' this morning - enough said!

      adjective : COMPUTING 
                                                      denoting or relating to software or hardware that has been superseded
                                        but is difficult to replace because of its wide use.           
                           
For me, blogging used to be because I thought my family would some day enjoy reading what their mother/grandma/great grandma got up to in her later years. That they would gasp or grin over her travels and adventures, enjoy seeing her photos - some of which are quite good - and many from far off wild places around the globe where most people don't visit. I thought they would have a giggle over me being tossed by a rogue wave into the bottom of a Zodiac boat. . . . . while my ship had to up anchor and sail away to calmer waters before picking me up again. I hoped they'd stare in awe at me standing on Antarctic ice surrounded by half a million penguins - after all I was in awe myself and brought to tears by such an experience. Washing an elephant then riding it bareback into a Thai river; sipping afternoon tea in Dubai at the top of the tallest building in the world; photographing the 'big five' in Africa; being picked up by a helicopter (one mode of transport I said I'd never do!) then flying over the amazing Okavango Delta in Botswana because our little plane couldn't land on the flooded runway near our safari camp; standing on the very edge of Victoria Falls in Zimbabwe, clinging to Bob, while the Zambezi River flowed around us.  Now I wonder if they will ever really find any of that interesting with life changing so drastically.


There is so much more, so many wonderful memories, so little time left. . . . . and now perhaps compromised to the point where I may never travel on an expedition again. My wild wandering days may be over. I can't even get home to England this year unless things really change by Autumn. 
          
But I do have you, my always kind and gracious blog friends.
You keep me going - ladies and gentlemen - I like sharing
 life with you.
I have loved meeting many of you in person, and hope
 to do more of that if/when possible. 

Meanwhile, let's struggle along together - thanks so much
 to all of you who've offered to assist with New Blogger issues. 
I'm still toggling between legacy and new - hoping
 the powers that be will get it right soon.

With love -


20 comments:

  1. Dear Mary - you have brought a tear to my eye here. Many of the reasons that I blog are exactly the same as yours. I think that while we are all trying hard to cope with what life is throwing at us all current then new blogger could have been kept on hold (the same goes for PicMonkey too). Hopefully by this time next year (I can't believe that I am saying that, but now I am beginning to accept the fact, that this new life could last far longer than I could ever have anticipated) you will see England, and I shall be there waiting to greet you and Bob once again. As Alexander Pope said in his poem "An Essay on Man" - Hope springs eternal.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh yes, hope that day comes when we can come home for a visit - eternal hope is definitely a must these tough days!
      I'm getting the hang of new Blogger with a lot of help from you lovely friends - thank you.

      Delete
  2. Mary, since I discovered your blog I can say that it has brought me serenity, joy and knowledge. You shared photos and insights of places I most likely would have never known. You have a lovely sense of style which I admire. Your practical approach and honest posts bring a respite of a bad day to one in need. I do hope you feel that all the hard work is worth your efforts and that you are relevant to women of our times. I hope that publishing a blog, reading blogs and the written word doesn't succumb to Instagram, Tic Tok or the latest instant gratification social media product. You must do for yourself and do what brings goodness to your day, hopefully that can be shared in this way.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. How very sweet you are to say such kind things, I really do appreciate that. I'm sad that I don't know who you are or how to get in touch, but please know I believe you must be a special reader/follower. This blog has been going a long time and has kept me sane in the craziness of life, especially these past few months! It's my creative space and the only online outlet I use. Guess I'm just what they now call an 'old fashioned blogger' rather than
      a modern 'influencer' (I detest that 'i' word BTW), but it's what I enjoy, and yes, brings happiness to my day.
      Please keep visiting - I'm getting the hang of NEW Blogger thanks to help from my lovely blog friends - so I should be back here often!
      Stay well - be strong.
      Mary -

      Delete
  3. Your posts and especially your beautiful photos have always given me such pleasure, Mary. Having had the joy of meeting you I know what a wonderful person you are, and I'm sure that you will go one giving delight to us all......once you have figured out this new blogger nonsense.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Barbara - yes we go back a long way don't we dear - and our meeting in person was an amazing day in Cornwall. How I would love to be there right now - especially as were in Port Issac (kind of!) watching season 9 of Doc Martin last night - had a lot of laughs and, as always, sighed over the breathtaking scenery. I see there will be a season 10 later - fantastic! Many of my American friends LOVE the show.

      Delete
  4. Blogging has become an important and integral part of my life, last but not least because it has allowed me to make friends all over the world, meet people who are much older or younger than myself, live very different lives from what I know day after day, and yet we always find common ground. It's wonderful!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Well put Meike - I've always enjoyed having you as a wonderful blog friend - and of course if I can get back to Germany some day we should meet up in person for sure!

      Delete
  5. What an amazing and diverse group of women you have shared today. They look so serene. I hope you continue to blog and delight us with your wonderful outlook on life.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, I'll keep going best I can Loree! Think I'm getting the hang of the New Blogger - but still prefer the old way!

      Delete
  6. Mary, if you really want your family to be interested in what you're writing, write about them! 😆

    Yes, your photography is amazing. You need a coffee table book or two or three.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Vee, you are always so sweet to me - I'm coming back to Maine as soon as I can - you will be on my hug list for sure!
      No, family not interested now - perhaps later though!!!

      Delete
  7. I sincerely believe that your family will love reading your blog and about all your travel adventures. If my mom or grandmas kept some sort of journals or wrote on a blog, I would love to read them.

    Even though I don't know you personally, I love reading your blog and I find your travel adventures super interesting! I really do think you will get to travel again some day. Maybe not this year, but don't give up hope for next year.

    And I would love to meet you in person some day if you're ever in the Chicago area or if I'm ever out your way!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, a return to Chicago is on the list Melanie - and like all our great cities here I am concerned for it and the good people who live there, suffering from despicable behaviour by a dangerous few.
      Let's keep on blogging though - we need our friends - and it's really a bright light in what is a dark world at present. Blogger could have been kinder though - making such changes now is just not right!

      Delete
  8. What a lovely post, Mary. I blog for many of the same reasons as you and am thankful for the friendships I've made through blogging. I've thought about stopping blogging a lot recently, but would miss the connection with you and so many other wonderful women around the world.
    This new reality we live in can be so depressing for we don't know how it will all play out or when it will end. The women pictured in your photos live such different lives than we do, yet they too are concerned about their families and loved ones. We are alike in that.
    I do hope that a cure/vaccine/treatment will be discovered soon. Take heart, dear Mary, and hang in there.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Wish we could have that time together in person again (and where is Honora, and hopefully she is well!) looking out over the water from your beautiful island!
      Don't stop blogging Lorrie - you would be greatly missed. I'm now getting the hang of the New format - but still wish they hadn't changed it now when we crave stability in life with all the negative happenings!

      Delete
  9. What a lovely reason to start blogging Mary ..... I was looking for something on Google which led me to a blog and up flashed a banner that said ‘ Start your own blog ‘ so I did 🤣 .... that was ten years ago 😱 ... haven’t even begun to try the new blogger yet ..... maybe this points to the end for me .... I could be doomed 😂🤣😂
    Wonderful photographs of different women, all living different lives, some quite difficult ones I would imagine and , here we all are, worrying about blogging !!!! XXXX

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. NO, NO, NO, Jackie - you are not doomed! If I can get my aging brain around these changes, you definitely can too! It's just coming at the wrong time - we don't need aggravation when all around is already screwed up! Blogger can be cruel and we are in a time when kindness and understanding is needed so badly. We blogging pals will just have to help each other.
      Keep London going - you know I have to come back some day!
      Mary x

      Delete
  10. I have seen some changes in blogger, but hadn't noticed the word "legacy". Now I must watch.
    I just love these pictures of amazing women. They are each so gorgeous! I love seeing women around the world.

    ReplyDelete
  11. I write for the same reasons you do - to pass on my humble like experiences on to them. Since I’ve been blogging, I’ve had my blog printed up into hardback books by year. They are a joy to my husband and me, and will also be to our children and grands down the road, hopefully. I use Blog2Print (no affiliation) and have been impressed with the quality and value. I also feel a bit more secure that the stories and pictures are safer than they would be if left solely to the vagaries of the internet.

    ReplyDelete

I would enjoy reading your comment - thanks so much for stopping by.