Tuesday, September 23, 2014

Cottage decor for Autumn . . . . .


Autumn is a second Spring when every leaf is a flower
~ Albert Camus

Autumn touches inside the cottage are quite minimal. 
Although we've no overseas travel planned to take us away 
this Fall, I just want to keep things simple.

I've saved and dried the two largest sunflower heads from 
the garden, complete with their seeds intact. They are really 
so beautiful. I had to cut them from their five foot stalks 
before the squirrels or birds made a meal of them.
Perhaps I'll sow these seeds next Spring and the cycle 
will be repeated - I like that thought.



These dainty 'stripeys' will become dessert later! 
I'll tell you how in an upcoming post on cooking squash 
and pumpkin.


I'm using two of the grey-green pumpkins here in the 
antique French dough bowl on the dining room table - they
blend well with those great spools of linen thread.

That's it for now - but I may do something floral when I find
the right blooms, something loose, wild, with berries and 
leaves, perhaps a walk in the country, through the fields, 
along the hedgerows is required. 

Have you done any interior decorating for Autumn yet?


8 comments:

  1. I have done some, trying to keep the house neat and tidy for showings. Hope you can make it here this fall. We will have company Oct 9-13...
    Hugs,
    Penny

    ReplyDelete
  2. These colors blend so well together – they really feel like autumn. You have a great eye for your decoration mélange.

    ReplyDelete
  3. It all looks lovely, Mary. I like the green/grey pumpkins and the little stripey's. They are perfect for your decor. Yes, I'm all decorated inside and out. Such as it is. I do like the fall colours and orange for the next few weeks then I go neutral after our Thanksgiving in October until I get Christmas decorations out. :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Your decorating is always so elegant and striking. We haven't done any decorating - but we have a good excuse. We are preparing for our big party for our 50th Anniversary on Thursday - and then we leave for Orcas Island to a cabin on the beach for three days - perhaps I've already told you that - I'm in such a hurry I forget - things will slow down next week.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Autumn is my fav season, love the colors, the smells, the atmosphere, everything....

    ReplyDelete
  6. I have not done any autumn decorating yet, but your post is inspiring me. And the weather is definitely cooler and a little wetter, so the mood is being set. It's been busy around here lately and I'm catching up on any number of things - laundry, cleaning, blogging (gotta keep priorities straight)!
    Your pale pumpkins are so lovely. I'm going to the market tomorrow to look for some. Canadian Thanksgiving is coming soon.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I really like your simplicity approach. I've done the bare minimum of fall decorating. And I don't even want to think about Christmas decorating.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Such beautiful photographs! You are right, the sunflower seed heads are gorgeous! Love the grey-green pumpkin as well!

    ReplyDelete

I would enjoy reading your comment - thanks so much for stopping by.