Monday, February 18, 2019

For the love of reading. . . . . . .


A favorite historic novel of mine, read a few years ago, is The Garden of Evening Mists
by Penang born author Tan Twan Eng. A gift from my friend Ruth in England, 
it was signed by him when they met in Bath at Mr. B's Bookshop for a book reading.

Not visible in this photo of books, some yet to be read, others-re-read, I assure
 you it's there on the shelf of special books I'll always keep, read again, and enjoy
 over and over.
His first book, The Gift of Rain, also signed and gifted to me by Ruth, is tucked
away on this same shelf of favorites.


The Garden of Evening Mists has now been adapted into an HBO movie. 
Filming is completed, it will be released later this year. . . . . . exciting news 
for me. 
I've just enjoyed an excellent interview with Mr. Twan Eng filmed in
 Penang, Malaysia, a place I enjoyed visiting in 2012.
He's an interesting gentleman, a retired lawyer who divides his time 
between Cape Town, South Africa and Kuala Lumpur, and he is
now busy writing his third book.


What's in your stack of books for winter reading? 

8 comments:

  1. Still having fun painting... My stack of books was featured not so long ago. I know nothing of this author so will do a bit of groogling.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes Vee, this rainy weather seems to warrant watercolors - everywhere looks so wet and dreary - you may see more here as I stay home and 'play' with photos and the app!

      Delete
  2. I have just been flipping through my decorating books and gardening books.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Not so much winter reading as generally still working on a pile of books that are a mix of last year's birthday gifts, Christmas gifts and others. My current physical book (reading in bed) is Michelle Obama's "Becoming", which I enjoy very much.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I've a big pile of books to read. 'The Tattooist of Auschwitz' , 'Hero of Rome' and 'My Mother's Wedding Dress' are among the titles.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I will have to look up these books, Mary! My reading pile is always stacked high. Right now I'm in the middle of reading, Paris in Winter by David Coggins (an illustrated memoir); The Buddhist Path to Simplicity by Christina Feldman (I'm not Buddhist, but I do like a lot of their principles) and Feed Your Soul by George Fowler ("a cookbook that nourishes body, mind and spirit").

    ReplyDelete
  6. A new author to look up - hooray! I'm currently reading, or trying to read, The Clockmaker's Daughter. It's time to get serious and get beyond the first pages that have NOT drawn me in, yet everyone tells me that once I keep going it will be good.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Right now I am reading The Lady of the Rivers by Philippa Gregory and next will be The Blue by Nancy Bilyeau. Both are historic fiction in England. I love reading what others are reading, now I have more on my list to check out.

    ReplyDelete

I would enjoy reading your comment - thanks so much for stopping by.