Thursday, February 28, 2019

Skirting the issue!


What are your feelings regarding skirts?  
Do you wear them, and if so when and where?
Time for a fashion post.

I've noticed skirts are fashion's darling once again now that spring is on the way. 
After months of huddling in pants of every description, it seems the time has
 come to feel fresh air on our legs and ready ourselves for summer days in
 shorts, or at my age, a neat cropped trouser! I will wear longer to the knee
 shorts working in the garden or at the beach, but the days of true short shorts
 and 'hot pants' are just fun youthful memories.


But which length skirts are best?
Remember back in the day of dictated skirt lengths when
'to be in fashion' meant we all wore maxi, midi, at the knee,
or the audacious thigh-high mini skirt. 
Hemlines went up and down almost overnight. I tried them all as each
 length was in style, sometimes even shortening hems to get more wear
 out of a longer style when suddenly a shorter one became de rigeur.

Today, thank goodness, any length of skirt is in style.
We no longer allow the fashion houses to tell us what to wear.
We can now feel comfortable in anything we choose to wear 
without feeling 'out of style'.  How much better is that.

Of course designers will always design new clothes.
Those tall, slim, highly paid models will sashay down the runways
in high fashion.
Then high street versions of what are often ridiculous styles for
 everyday living for 90% of us, will arrive at the mall as each
new season comes knocking.








All above skirts ~ ZARA

I do like some of the new, what I call 'flimsy' fuller, often pleated, mid-calf  
skirts. I can see wearing them on a warm spring or hot summer 
evening. I also love the idea of not having to wear really high heels
with them. Flat sandals or a stylish or even classic sneaker pairs up
well with many skirts.

The classic narrow black midi length skirt below is perhaps my personal favorite.
I have a similar one in a heavy waffled cotton knit with an elastic/adjustable tie
waistband and deep walking slit in the back. This skirt (from JJill and looks as
 good as the day I bought it) I've worn for many years with boots, both tall or short,
 and loafers in winter, or with summer sandals, and of course with sneakers any time. 


This post came about following a closet clean out last week!
I found several skirts I haven't worn in a while and decided to 
play with them in new ways, putting together some really different
looks. Yes, I may be older but I still love fashion and always will.

Will you be buying any skirts for spring, or like me,
do you have some hiding in the back of your closet?
If so, pull 'em out and play with them, it's fun, and you may end up
 sashaying through your grocery store feeling a cut above all those 
same old jeans and leggings walking up and down the aisles!


For my trip to the beauty salon this week, a warm and sunny day, I wore
 a 'flimsy' but lined, olive, coral and black print midi length skirt, a mid-weight
long-sleeved olive sweater, and my olive safari vest.
On my feet, clunky but comfy, khaki suede/leather oxfords picked up a few
 years back in Barcelona.
I felt like a million bucks even though nothing was new.
I just mixed things up in a new way!
The biggest secret I'll share with you is the skirt. . . . . . it was my dear 
mother's about twenty years ago! (For the Brits reading this - it's from M&S).
I love it and it's back in style!

This evening we're off to a local restaurant for a wine tasting with a friend's 
a capella group providing live music.
What to wear? It's warm again so a skirt may be in the mix - off to the closet 
right now!

Your fabulous 'skirt stories' shared with us here will be welcomed.


Thanks for the kind comments you left on yesterday's 12th blogging anniversary post.

20 comments:

  1. I LOVE the idea of you wearing your mother's skirt. Quality lasts! Skirts are a favourite for spring/summer for me. I find them much cooler than pants and I never wear shorts due to skin damage on my shins when we lived in South America. I'm also self-conscious about my knobbly knees! Midi or even maxi skirts are what I like, and I'm thrilled to see the floaty light fabrics being used this season. Your straight black skirt is timeless!

    Thanks for this post. It's always fun to think about fashion!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Knobbly knees perhaps - but how about veins? They are what I dislike but will have to live with at this point in life!
      I know you have shared some lovely skirts you have sewn Lorrie - I used to make mine, but no longer - much easier than sewing a trouser!

      Delete
  2. From my blog and the occasional fashion post there, you already know how much I love dresses and skirts - I wear them more often than trousers, actually. There are too many skirts in my wardrobe - and still I keep adding new ones if I find one that I can not resist!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You look fantastic in your skirts and dresses Meike - you are tall and model slim - and I love your style.

      Delete
  3. I love skirts! Those longer ones that reach to below mid-calf are my personal favorites. Your mother's skirt is absolutely gorgeous and I love the outfit you put together. You've got a LOT more style than I ever did or ever will!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Sara - you are tall and look fab in skirts. I really hope to pick up a couple more lightweight versions for the hot weather ahead - even if just wearing them to sit in the garden or gazebo!
      Just pruned the fig tree - it's huge now - and fertilized, hoping for a good crop late Summer. Will put your recipe book to good use again.

      Delete
  4. Love this Mary!
    I have three skirts in my wardrobe!
    One bought this summer and two I’ve had for years!
    One I’ve worn off and on for 20+ years! The label is Country Road which was originally Australian designers now sold and not what it was in ‘the day’. It’s a straight skirt, dark navy and the fabric is cut on the cross which I love, very flattering for the body! This is my ‘go to’ for occasions such as a funeral (when pants won’t do). I team it with a tailored jacket in summer or coat and boots in winter.
    If I was 20 years younger, with my then pencil slim body, I know I would buy the top skirt! I’ve always loved black and white. I need to walk a few more laps around the block to make that happen!
    I’m off to sort my wardrobe… Autumn is looming and I feel some skirt shopping is on the egenda!
    Enjoy your day!
    Love
    Shane xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I love fabric cut on the bias, you are so right as to how it flatters Shane. I too always wear a skirt, jacket and heels to a funeral - perhaps old fashioned but it just seems the right thing to do. I'm amazed at what some women, and men, wear to funerals!

      We are trying to walk more laps too - we have a school running track nearby so go there. . . . . .but not often enough I'm sad to say. The days fly by and exercise gets shoved to the bottom of the to do list, naughty I admit!

      Delete
  5. I love skirts, especially in summer. They help keep me cool. M&S do classic clothing really well. Some of their pieces never seem to go out of style.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Knowing how hot Malta can be, I know skirts must be comfortable Loree. Yes, I still shop M&S when I go home - grew up in their clothes and still find some good pieces. Bob loves their shirts and P.J's!!!!

      Delete
  6. I don't have any skirts in my wardrobe and just one dress, that I really don't like! I think this spring I might have to change that!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We need to go shopping together in Asheville Penny - after we've hit the antiques shops!

      Delete
  7. I am not much of a skirt person (and definitely not dresses), but I will wear one occasionally in the summer when it is hot. I can't do heels anymore...bad feet, but sandals are definitely doable for skirts.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. No, hardly a dress in my closet either - except of course the ubiquitous 'little black dress' and an evening gown, latter not worn in years!

      Delete
  8. I bet you looked marvelous! I like skirts on others, but my shape is not ideal for skirts...I am too short for one thing, and I don’t like short skirts. So, no plans for buying any skirts. I own one dress and that is as close as I will get to a skirt.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Well I felt different Vee - but enjoyed it! Yes, I am quite tall 5' 7" now - have shrunk an inch over the past years! Skirts work for me but pants are still easier to deal with - I won't even mention veins!!!

      Delete
  9. I do not have one skirt left in my closet. After I retired from a job where I wore skirts every day (law office) I hung them to the back of the closet. Later I lost weight and eventually got rid of them. I did wear a dress to my granddaughter's wedding and may to my grandson's in July. Well depend on what else I can find to wear. Regardless, with warmer weather and bare legs, whether capris or skirts, I will need to shave my legs more often!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hello Joyce - thanks for stopping by. Laughing at your final statement - had to do the same routine shave to go prancing in my skirt after all those winter days snug in pants and leggings!!!!

      Delete
  10. Funny but I had to stroll through H&M just yesterday. I was looking for a skirt. I have wanted a plain black skirt for several years similar to the polka dot one you show here. The next time I see one I am going to snatch it up. I think it would be perfect for out and about and maybe even a little travel in the future.

    ReplyDelete

I would enjoy reading your comment - thanks so much for stopping by.