Wednesday, February 27, 2019

The twelfth anniversary!

As mentioned in a recent post, I'm trying to become more of a minimalist
in my home decorating efforts. Really I am trying! I've been through several
 styles of home decor since becoming a homemaker. After a lifetime of
 leaving for an office with the daily commute keeping me busy, retirement
 has seen me staying just as busy around the home.
 I am just an amateur interior decorator, wannabe designer etc. If younger, and I 
could start over, I would probably work in that field professionally as I do love
 the creativity decorating brings whether in house or garden.
My efforts at bringing aspects of shabby chic into my home about 14 years ago
 were fueled by several things happening in my life. Having more time on my hands,
 and a little cottage-style home crying out for style, my discovery of SuzAnna's
 Antiques here in, town became my place to hang out. Soon I became part of the
 always fun treasure hunting, antiquing, community. . . . . . . . and then
 I discovered blogging!

Yes, 12 years ago today I tiptoed quietly into blogland' when
 I wrote a post on my first blog, Across The Pond. 

A neophyte who was grateful for all the tips from that first group of vibrant gals
 who suddenly opened up the online world of creativity to me, they shared DIY
 projects we could understand and have fun with. 
Along with photographs and tutorials, we could make our own homes look like
 ones we'd only seen in those early days of HGTV, (those were the best days
 for that show as many of you will recall), and in home or garden magazines. 
We were on our way, supporting one another with cans of paint and brushes, 
'before and after' painted furniture photos, sewing antique French linen into
 pillows or recovering chairs, searching for chipped and cracked china and
 stoneware, silver plated trays and silverware, soup tureens, plates by the
 stack, wooden dough bowls, and making our gardens showplaces filled with
 urns, rusted gates, and vintage claw-footed bath tubs planted with flowers!
No, I did not drag a bath tub home, there were limits, such as never owning
 a pickup truck, but I found some awesome urns that were 
much easier to transport!

Vintage folding rulers - measuring life!

Later, people would actually stop me in stores, or when shopping at
SuzAnna's, recognize me from my blog and we would chat. Some would
email me and in one case, a young woman (who made me feel young too)
 would become one of my very best friends, dear and beautiful Vanessa. 
Eventually we shared a booth at SuzAnna's Antiques. There we had such
a great time together, spending weekly get togethers hunting for beautiful 
things to sell on to others who shared our love of old, often shabby,
 long ago treasures for house and home. We found so much we loved
 we then expanded and had our own adjoining booths for a while. 


My booth at SuzAnna's Antiques - 2011

Some things we never sold, instead taking them home because we loved them
 and couldn't let them go. The old French sideboard I still have and Vanessa painted 
it for me in Annie Sloane's chalk paint. It's a favorite piece with many memories.


I realized I was on a roll and I kept blogging, making a lot of
new local friends and acquaintances, as well as wonderful people around
 the world. . . . .many of you whom I've met in person which is the best part of
 blogging. This spring I am so looking forward meeting up with yet another long
 time blog friend in England - and will share that exciting occasion later of course.

So, along the way, through the years, changes have been made around this
 small cottage. Some things have moved on to other homes, others have stayed
 with perhaps a new paint finish, a little elbow grease to shine up the silver. . . but
 more often left to gather a patina, almost like me.
Our booths were closed when it became too much to handle with my hectic
 travel schedule, and then Vanessa moved away. We were still able to meet up
 now then, but now she has moved across the country so it will be harder. . . but
we'll work it out somehow because that's what blog friends do, right?

SuzAnna's Antiques has also moved to a new location north of the 
city due to their property being taken by the railroad. My granddaughter 
no longer works there as it's too far for her to commute, however she and I 
hope to take a trip there on a nice spring day to share the treasures we
know will be displayed. You can bet I'll take photos to share with you.

So, no more rambling for today.
I'm celebrating knowing each one of you, those of you who have 

followed me for years, and those who may be new visitors here.
I'll be traveling again this year and hope to have both old familiar
places to share again, like my home in England in springtime, along
 with exciting new places, including a familiar ship taking me to exotic
 far flung spots in faraway lands.

Thank you for being my wonderful and very special friends.
I have a lot to thank blogging for.
You make my life happy.


Remains of my Valentine flowers, still lovely.

21 comments:

  1. Happy Blogoversary, dear Mary!
    My relationship with antiques is somewhat different in that I love them when they have a history I know about - especially my own family's history. That is why I do not wish to ever part with my living room furniture, which is the original 1930s pieces my grandparents bought as newlyweds; I've known that furniture all my life. Same goes for the cutlery I use in my kitchen daily. As for decorating, I admire it in other people's houses, but prefer my own with clear spaces adorned with only a few select pieces.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I need lessons from you Meike - there would be much less dusting required around here then!

      Delete
  2. I think that I have been following you for almost 12 years now, Mary!
    Are you coming anywhere near the West country? It would be so nice to finally meet.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Happy blog anniversary Mary! I am so glad we met all of those years back. I am happy that we can get together every so often. xo

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Well you and I probably meet up more often than most bloggers manage - and now we're overdue so must work on that soon!
      Love and hugs to you and Mr. Comforts!

      Delete
  4. Congratulations on your blogging anniversary Mary! I remember "Across the Pond" fondly, and have been blessed to get to know you a little better over the years, trading books and recipes for fig jam, and notes and cards. You still have one of the loveliest and interesting blogs I've seen; it's always a treat to visit here.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, we go back a long time in blogland Sara - Southern Cal. is calling me!

      Delete
  5. Happy anniversary, Mary! I so enjoy your blog. Being taken along on your world travels, marveling at nature outside your window, or a fun home project. I am a happy, loyal reader. You are such a warm, joyful light in the world. Thank you!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. What a kind and generous comment Lisa. I realize you don't have a blog where I can 'meet' you, however it's so nice to know you enjoy mine. Thank you very much.

      Delete
  6. Happy Blogiversary, Mary! I have been visiting off and on for a number of these past twelve years. I learned some things today. I have always thought that you had “a way” with decor and photography and collages. Now I know better why. (Please don’t become too much of a minimalist.)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Vee - I'm so glad you returned to your blog - I love reading your posts and your comments are always so kind.

      Delete
  7. Congratulations! I am so happy I found you along the way. You would be an amazing designer. I love your style.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. . . . . . . and we have been lucky enough to meet and have a wonderful day together in your beautiful Portland!
      Marilyn I miss you x

      Delete
  8. Mary, Happy Anniversary! You have definitely brightened my life through these years! I've loved following along with your interesting posts and travels around the world. Blogging has brought us all many friendships from across the miles. I look forward to many more of your wonderful posts.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks dear Sarah - you are a true friend all these years.

      Delete
  9. Happy Blog Anniversary, Mary! I'm so glad we were able to share dinner together last fall. I'll second Marilyn's comment about you being an amazing designer. I'm always analyzing your decor photos and admiring your great finds. I don't know when I started following you - it wasn't the old blog, I know. I look forward to many more of your wonderful posts.

    ReplyDelete

  10. Thank you Lorrie.
    That was such a lovely evening with you, Tim, Honora and Sigurd - hopefully we can do it again some day X

    ReplyDelete
  11. Hi dear! I'm late to wish happy "blogversary" but never late to say how much I miss you! We sure did have a wonderful time, and I truly hope to move back sooner so we can continue our treasure hunting together. Love you! xx Vanessa ps. I think I'm enjoying the blog thing again, life seems to slow down when we take time to appreciate those things we love.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Better late than never dearest friend! Thank you, and please know how much I still miss you, Ryan and Luna. Life certainly hasn't been the same since you moved to Charlotte and now California!!!!!!
      If you come back and read this - know that we hope to see you soon.
      Mary X

      Delete
    2. Thank you my dearest friend! I'll let you know when we plan something. xx

      Delete

I would enjoy reading your comment - thanks so much for stopping by.