Saturday, August 1, 2015

It's an uphill climb . . . . . . . .



Here it is, already August and the 'dog days' of heat and humidity will no doubt continue.
I was out earlier this morning doing a little pruning of the unruly jasmine on the porch - it 
seems to be thriving - and some much-needed watering of pots and plants.
The garden has few blooms, due mostly to the very high temperatures every day of June 
and July, lack of rain, and perhaps the overly cold winter. Flowers just aren't doing much 
of anything, very much like us, too hot to even get going in the mornings. . . . . . . .


. . . . . . unless you're a morning glory!
Bless these little clambering beauties making their way up whatever they 
can grasp in the hot, damp air. These deep purple trumpet-shaped flowers, 
bring me smiles each morning as the vines scramble up the front porch. 
Later they curl within themselves as the heat intensifies, but happily more 
appear the next day. Such a welcome splash of color in the garden.

Hope you are enjoying your weekend - stay cool.


5 comments:

  1. Oh, they are beautiful, aren't they Mary? One of my all time favorites. I do not like the WILD morning glory, though. I have that at the property and it's a menace. It gets into the flower beds and climbs up the plants. Argh! I'm constantly destroying it. BUT...I do love the morning glory. I have grown some at the fence and look forward to it blooming. My Gladiolus are what's making me happy these days. They are gorgeous. I swear my grandmother has to have something to do with that. She always planted flowers along the very same fence. :) Deb

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love morning glories! I am watering my tomato plants and herbs twice a day!
    xo
    Penny

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm glad you're enjoying your glorious glories Mary! Can't imagine you in all that heat while here we are shivering...but warmer days to come for us. Hope you get some rain and your lovely garden flourishes...and you too! XX

    ReplyDelete
  4. I just love these morning glories. Wishing I had some, but for some reason they don't seem to be happy in our yard.
    They do indeed make us smile.

    ReplyDelete
  5. And they come back year after year.

    ReplyDelete

I would enjoy reading your comment - thanks so much for stopping by.