Monday, August 31, 2015

COLOGNE, Germany - Part II


In my previous post I shared photos of the exterior of the magnificent 
Gothic Cologne Cathedral, the largest in northern Europe, here are 
photos I took of the splendid interior.
Entering Cologne Cathedral took my breath away. First, one feels incredibly small 
beneath the 140 foot ceilings. It was light and bright with numerous soaring stained 
glass windows, paintings, frescoes, statues, carvings, and hanging tapestries, artifacts 
in silver and gold. 
There was no evidence of the darkness of the Gothic exterior, the eye was 
immediately struck by color and light everywhere.


After feasting my eyes on beauty whilst looking up, around and about, on reaching 
the choir I suddenly looked down where my feet stood on what to me were the most 
exquisite mosaic floors. 
These were so beautiful and the work to create the meticulous designs
must have have taken many artists years - there were so many areas covered.

I really loved the natural things depicted in the designs - acorns and oak leaves, 
grapevines bearing fruit,  ivy twining, even the thistles of Scotland with the 
English Tudor Rose in the center (above), which I admit I've only just noticed in my photo.

Via Cologne Cathedral 

Cologne Cathedral Floor Mosaic Floor Plan

The floor, completed in 1899, measures 1,350 square metres and is the largest 
work of art in the cathedral. 
It covers three main themes, each of which is portrayed in a different 
part of the choir: the history of the archdiocese takes up the entire ambulatory and
 features names and coats of arms of bishops and archbishops; the Christian world
order and humankind are portrayed in the inner choir; and the cosmos is depicted
 in the crossing
The entire cathedral is gorgeous - having a chance to view, even though our time 
was brief, was time well spent and memorable. Once again, Germany's 
beautiful architecture and art came through - noticed in the smallest village 
house to the largest place of worship.



8 comments:

  1. Oh Mary, It is awesome! Yes, it would take your breathe away to be in the presence of this beautiful cathedral. Loved the mosaics, but also the candle sticks, tapestries, and just the structure and light. How wonderful!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Such a beautiful cathedral Mary! Wishing you good luck on your renovations in the garden. Sounds like a lot of work, but fun though!

    Madelief x

    ReplyDelete
  3. Such magnificence and incredible colours, i'm blown away Mary! I was planning a mosaic pathway in a little garden I am starting. Food for thought, but somehow I don't think it will end up quite like these! xx

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wow!! Absolutely amazing and gorgeous in photos. I can only imagine how breathtaking it must be in person.

    ReplyDelete
  5. My favorite photo is from the rear of the nave, looking "through" all those incredibly high arches toward the altar. I loved that little recessed area in the stone wall, where a book rests on a wooden stand. This cathedral is stunning. How did they accomplish such architectural feats back in the 13th 14th centuries? Great photography! Thanks. AnnZ/Northern VA

    ReplyDelete
  6. What an awesome building. The floors are stunning. Great photos.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I have loved Koln since the first time I visited, as a child of eight. At that time, more than a decade after the war, the cathedral was still shrouded in scadfolding and netting. Ithad been on my father's wish list and that stuck with me. As an adult, I lived for three years within a half hour or so of the city and spent many hours exploring the cathedral. Thanks k you for the lovely visit.

    ReplyDelete
  8. We were so close to Cologne a couple of times during our german vacations, but we never made it there...too bad, as I can see. Maybe another time...

    ReplyDelete

I would enjoy reading your comment - thanks so much for stopping by.