Tuesday, April 16, 2019

Tart!



A new bakery opened not far from here recently. We were excited, and always  
try to support local small businesses, especially new ones.
We stopped by to check it out over the weekend, after reading accolades on
 our local neighborhood online news site. It's a bright place, clean and neat.
 The young girl serving was very polite, smiling and friendly.

Glass display cases contained lots of pastries, one in particular was specifically
 for their version of the croissant. The croissants I know, enjoy and eat, are
 French style of course. Buttery, light and flaky and don't require any sweet addition.
These were actually chewy donuts, shaped into a croissant and filled with. . . well, 
fillings of all descriptions!  We bought a couple. Sweet, sweet, icky sweet! 
I realize many will enjoy them but they were not for me.

Sadly, the only other person seated at a table in the bakery, laptop open, talking
 business loudly on her mobile phone, was apparently the owner! She didn't 
acknowledge us, or even smile, but I'm sure knew from our looking around and
 discussing which baked goods to consider buying, that we were first time
 customers to her new shop.

I doubt we will ever return to the bakery. Sadly it just didn't have any really good
 vibes, from the owner or the display cases!


My recent homemade tart. Delicious, not overly sweet. . . . . . and served with a smile!

12 comments:

  1. Your tart looks lovely Mary - is it a Bakewell tart? Hopefully you will find many little bakers in Devon who will fulfil your desires. Thanks for your sweet message, I will be in touch soon.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, a marmalade Bakewell tart - so yummy!
      Thinking of you!

      Delete
  2. Why not send the owner an email (they probably have a website with a contact address), telling her what you have just told us? If it is the first time she has opened her own business, she may be grateful for constructive remarks about what she could do better, and learn from it.
    Croissants have to be a certain way to be called croissants - like you say, buttery, flaky and light! (Although of course with the amount of butter in the dough, they are anything but light, but so lovely...)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Were they these weird hybrid cronut things? An abomination in my opinion! https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cronut

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Angela, I opened the link you shared - thanks - and no, wasn't anything like that really yummy looking 'cronut'.

      Delete
  4. How disappointing! I can never understand it when the owner or workers at small businesses ignore you when you first enter their establishments. The only time I might understand that is if they are swamped with customers. Also disappointing to pay money for food that doesn't live up to expectations. Judging by the looks of your homemade tart I think you would have been better off staying home.

    ReplyDelete
  5. That's no way to welcome new customers! And as for doughnutty croissants.....non!

    ReplyDelete
  6. That's a shame that the owner didn't even acknowledge you....she won't be there for long. Your tart looks great!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Oh the owner lacked “finesse” as my sister would say. I had an experience with one like that today myself. Sorry that it was an Americanized Bakery...too sweet and too chewy. ☺️

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Such a disappointment Vee - consuming unneeded calories and not even enjoying them, grrrrrr!!!!!

      Delete
  8. It always makes me sad when a new business opens and the owner isn't connecting and the product isn't to my liking. The croissant doesn't sounds good at all. Sad! But I must say your tart looks delicious. Now I am wondering what kind of tart it is. Yummmm!

    ReplyDelete
  9. It's sad that the owner was oblivious to her customers. The donut/croissant sounds really awful. Too sweet desserts are often the case in North America which is why I generally prefer my own baking. Your tart looks amazing!

    ReplyDelete

I would enjoy reading your comment - thanks so much for stopping by.