Sunday, April 28, 2019

Elizabeth Barrett Browning in Devon -


The life of the Brownings was a great love story, part of which is set in my
 hometown Torquay, in England.
Famous writers, such as Agatha Christie and Charles Darwin wrote 
books there. . . . .  and the poet Elizabeth Barrett Browning,
wife of poet Robert Browning, lived there for a while when her health
 deteriorated, before moving to Italy where she died in Florence in 1861.


We've booked an Airbnb in Torquay in what we are hoping will be
 "the merry, month of May!"
It's next door to the Hotel Regina where Mrs. Browning lived for a short time 
when her declining health required a warmer climate.
It's still run as a hotel, but is apparently nowhere near as glamorous these days. 
 Most of these historic buildings have lost their glow now they are over 200 years old.
Owners seem financially hard-pressed to make repairs, freshen up facades, 
and keep interiors bright and clean. 


This amazing old copy of Mrs. Browning's book of sonnets was sent to me by
 my lovely blog friend Shane in Auckland, NZ. It arrived last year before I knew
 I'd be staying within a stone's throw of where this famous poet sat, long ago,
 putting pen to paper and writing beautiful poems. 

So yes. . . . . . for those of you who've asked if I'm planning a trip anytime soon,
This week will see me going home to visit family, old friends, and new friends!

More another time.
Happy day.


12 comments:

  1. Enjoy your trip and your time with friends and family. I've heard that Torquay is a very beautiful place. I hope that, one day, I will see it for myself.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I hope you get there Loree - you will enjoy the lovely countryside, trees and coastline of Devon.

      Delete
  2. Put something warm in your suitcase Mary - this last few days it has gone from hot to rather chilly!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yep, planning to do that Rosemary! In fact off right now to organizing packing.

      Delete
  3. That is so exciting Mary!! We all could use a little Elizabeth Barrett Browning in our lives and what luck to be so close! Enjoy!! xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Jeanne - glad you are safely back after traveling so many miles/hours during the past three weeks!
      Love, love the travel cashmere wrap!

      Delete
  4. What a dear little book of Sonnets you have Mary. It will be wonderful to go back to Torquay, and even more interesting to be near a location of Elizabeth Barrett Browning. I have always loved her story and her work too. One of the joys of travel is to tread the path of the great figures of the arts. Happy journey.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'll be glad to go home but of course always sad to leave this home when the garden looks so pretty!

      Delete
  5. That particular sonnet was recited by my sister and Tim's and my wedding. Always a favourite of mine. How lovely to be staying so near where she stayed. Of course, I think England is filled with literary sites since so much wonderful literature came from there. I hope to visit Devon and Cornwall one day.

    ReplyDelete
  6. As you can see dear Mary I’m playing catch up after a hectic few weeks with friends in town and so much on!
    How lovely to see the your photo of the Portuguese sonnets - which takes me back to my childhood! It belonged to my darling father and he had collected books his whole life! I knew you would appreciate it!
    I know you’re enjoying your sojourn in England and I’ll watch out for your posts “tales from abroad” once you return to Raleigh!
    Shane xxx

    ReplyDelete

I would enjoy reading your comment - thanks so much for stopping by.