Saturday, April 13, 2019

Wet Saturday, Chickadees and Azaleas. . . . . .


A somewhat unwelcome Saturday morning. 
Rain pouring nonstop. 
Newly bloomed azaleas battered to the ground.
After a scary evening yesterday with rain, flash flooding, hail and
 a tornado warning, all within a few miles of us, we don't need more water.
Thankfully though we sustained no damage here.


A pair of chickadees have been checking the little bird house on the front porch for
 a couple of weeks, however, this year it appears they've decided to build a nursery 
elsewhere. There is no sign of a nest. I even attached a little ball of dryer
lint which I thought they might use. April is moving along quickly and I really
 think they would have moved in by now.




We haven't shopped for our annual hanging Boston ferns for these empty
 baskets yet - but they are on the 'to do' list for a trip to the garden center
on a much drier day.


The fig tree seems to like all this rain, I notice the leaves this morning seem
 more lush and fuller, and the bluebells are standing tall.


Our rain is predicted to last all day, tapering off around 7 PM - which is good as we 
have a theatre date for 8 PM. 
The production of "Baskerville: A Sherlock Holmes Mystery" is apparently a
humorous adaptation of Sir Arthur Conan Doyle's scary story "The Hound of
 the Baskervilles" which is set on often fog-shrouded Dartmoor in Devon,
 just a few miles from my English home. 


My favorite, and I have masses of them, all planted many years ago . . . . . . . .
. . . . . . . the George Tabor Azalea is one of the best of the sun and
 heat-tolerant evergreen Azaleas. Beautiful evergreen, premier shrub
 for use as hedge, screen or massed planting for a truly 
impressive color display.


Hope your weekend brings sunshine and you are able to get outside
and enjoy some fun in the fresh air.

8 comments:

  1. Glad the storm spared you! We have sun right now, but some rain is predicted. The play sounds wonderful. Have fun!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Those azaleas...wow...hope they last a good long while. Your fig tree is beautiful and with such a pleasing shape. Your evening sounds great. Enjoy the show.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I pruned the fig early spring Vee - it was getting a bit lopsided - does look better now. Next year may have to lop off a few branches on driveway side of we won't be able to access our cars!

      Delete
  3. Hi Mary: Your gardens are so beautiful. It takes a talented gardener to create such a lovely spot. And the azaleas are so pretty. The chickadee photos are so cute. I have never had a chickadee nest on my property. They always go away to nest and return with their little ones later in the summer. I wish they would nest here. I am hoping my house wren will return again this year to the same birdhouse. I love their song. Spring is finally here and we headed to the sugarbush today. Gorgeous spring weather finally. :) I better not jinx it, though. Have a wonderful weekend and enjoy the play. Deb

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks so much Deb - can't say I'm truly talented growing things here in the southeast, but I tried when I started this garden about 20 years ago - was tired of looking at grass and a few boxwoods along the foundation! I used to be able to spend all day out there and everything was so perfect compared to now - age really does slow one down and the bending etc. that gardening requires becomes painful!!!!!! Funny thing was I tried to grow a typical English garden and said "no azaleas or daylilies'. Guess what, I now have masses of both because they do much better than English cottage garden plants and shrubs in this hot, humid climate.
      Mary -

      Delete
  4. Mary, your azaleas are beautiful. I have a wooded hillside back yard that I would like to plant with additional bushes & ground cover. Actually, I would have preferred that someone would have done it 15 yrs ago! Lol. It will take decades for them to be as full as yours! I won’t be here that long.
    We had big, fat snowflakes this morning. Rain followed, and now partly sunny. :-) I prefer all of that to the 86 with gusty winds we had mid-week.
    Enjoy the play. Sounds like a perfect cap to a rainy (stormy) day.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Where are you Lisa - with big snowflakes in April? Azaleas do grow quite fast - if you start with good sized plants you might have some good coverage on the hillside in a few years. I love that they are evergreen also. The George Tabor get very large and are easy to maintain - I've never lost one yet! This year they are full of blooms - fortunately the recent nights (3) when we had frosts didn't impact them, whereas last year many buds were killed in similar late frosty nights. Nature is fickle and gardening a gamble!

      Delete
  5. Just lovely! Azaleas! Love the bunnies in the header too.

    ReplyDelete

I would enjoy reading your comment - thanks so much for stopping by.