Monday, April 1, 2019

The Mess. . . . . . . and the last meal!


The big heating and cooling home project was started this morning and
 will continue until completed, probably Wednesday morning.  
It's a mess . . . . . . everywhere.  Today anything required from upstairs was
no longer available.  Fortunately the very cold night warmed up quickly this 
morning and the sun has been shining all day. I took a break from the mess
and had my hair cut and color done, enjoying the time away from clanging
 metal, drilling, hammering etc. Fat garlands by the yard of old, dusty silvered
 ducts snake about the grass, piles of pink and yellow insulation look like
 cotton candy, numerous rusty metal boxes, sheets of plywood, tool boxes
 and other questionable paraphernalia cover the driveway. New equipment
and parts stand shiny and clean in the sunshine.
We sneeze, the workmen sneeze - dust from the old equipment or pollen
from the blooming shrubs and trees?  


Not to change the subject (but know you're not interested in seeing photos of the piles
 of trash outside) do you ever think what you would request as your last meal - like
 the movie characters on their way to the 'chair'?  
Today, though hopefully not my last by any means, I needed my favorite
 breakfast to stand me in good stead for facing the mess in the house.
This easy meal I would also actually request if ever heading to the gallows
 or electric chair!  Just a slice or two of good crusty farm bread toasted,
 salted Irish butter, and my favorite English thick cut orange marmalade.


I perhaps inherited this from my mother. I recall it was her go to favorite
 when she was not up to cooking a big meal just for herself. Her familiar voice
 would cross the pond through the long distance cable, and when I asked what she
 was having for supper, she would say with a laugh, "I really just fancy some toast
 and marmalade." 



Bob read me my horoscope from the morning paper and we had to laugh -

SCORPIO (Oct. 23-Nov. 21)

"Take the plunge. Home improvements, reconnecting with old friends and romance are favored."
The home improvements are underway : I bumped into an old friend at the salon : now just awaiting the romance which could be snuggling to stay warm tonight, yet another cold one forecast.


11 comments:

  1. Not sure how your luck usually goes but if we had been having our vac. system replaced the last few days...we would have frozen. It dropped below 30* last night and will once again be in the lower 30's tonight. eek! We had ours replaced last summer and YES! it was in the upper 90's. haha. It always happens. Best of luck that it's over soon and the dust left behind doesn't take long to wipe away.
    As for the last meal. If I was ask what I wanted for my last meal I would say, nothing. I don't think I could eat. I'd be a cheap date for the hanging gallows, electric chair, or lethal injection. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Again, I am surprised this big project is going to be completed so quickly - whenever you need workmen to get anything to do for you here in Germany, be it bathroom installations or something to do with electricity, a new kitchen etc., it takes WEEKS, and the mess and dirt can really drive one crazy!
    I love bread, and a really good one does not need anything but some butter or a piece of nice cheese, like the fig loaf and assorted cheeses I often get at O.K.'s when I arrive there late on a Friday evening, served with red wine...

    ReplyDelete
  3. Whilst I was out at the weekend my other half made six jars of homemade marmalade - it was finished and cooling in the kitchen when I returned home.
    Good luck with your big heating and cooling project. I absolutely hate having work done in the home so totally empathise with you, but it will be soon completed and in a few more days you will feel great.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Toast and marmalade sounds just about perfect to me too, Mary. As I last meal, it would be hard to beat :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. I definitely understand the fancy for a good piece of toast. Hope that all the mess gets sorted soon and that all that remains is a wonderful new system.

    ReplyDelete
  6. It is no fun to live in a house under construction!! I love toast and jam too.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Fresh bread slathered in butter, with honey or marmalade on top - just writing the words makes my mouth water. Getting out to the hairdresser's while the work is going on at home is a very good idea. You described the mess most poetically, more so than what it really is, I imagine.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I hear you on the home construction - it's awful! No privacy, house a mess, and lots of noise. As you know, in the end it's all worth it. I'm not much of a toast with butter and jam eater; though once in awhile I do have a piece of toast with almond butter and sliced bananas or berries on it for breakfast. Too funny about your horoscope. ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  9. Major home renovations are not fun. We just had our bathroom done and I am so thankful that it's all over and I managed to get everything clean again.Hope you enjoyed your special meal. I too love toast and butter.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Oh yes, we've gone thru two mayor renovation, our kitchen 8 years ago and our guest rooms and bathroom almost three years ago. It was awful while the renovation went on, but after it's done I forgot when I saw how lovely it had turned out, lol.. I'm ready to do our bedroom, but it's gonna cost us a big buck and hubby keeps postponing it.
    I too adore toast, butter and homemade marmalade. I love to make the blackberry one specially.
    Have a lovely week dear friend.
    Fabby

    ReplyDelete
  11. Good luck with the repairs and mess. You will be happy when it is over and everything is back in place.
    Yes, your breakfast is just perfect. I could eat the whole thing myself, but I might share. Now I want the good butter and marmalade and a loaf of crusty bread.

    ReplyDelete

I would enjoy reading your comment - thanks so much for stopping by.