Tuesday, October 29, 2013

Farmhouse floors.......................

The day dawned and I got a little nervous about my dream floor when the guys came so late to start the installation.......was it going to be a rush job because they were behind? Bob was upset.....waiting around when all and sundry has collapsed around you is not easy. Everyday life was piled upstairs, downstairs, on the beds, in the spare room, guest room, on the deck and porch. The potting shed was locked up with semi-valuables stripped from walls.......and we were relegated to hours in the gazebo, unable to get into kitchen to even make a cuppa - bad planning on our part. The painted armoire slid in there ahead of us, followed by the sofa and several other items. We were ousted from domesticity, all the while listening to banging, scraping, sawing, wondering if our little cottage would survive or collapse in a heap to the strains of hearty Spanish love songs performed along with the radio by three smiling, hard-working men. I always feel good and know a job is proceeding well when workmen sing or whistle, don't you?

The good - the sun stayed out and the temperature reached 72F making the gazebo pleasant.....it would have been better though with a nice cup of tea at 4 o'clock. I did complete my new address book, and Bob read his huge backlog of magazines that had stood next to his ratty old chair for almost three years! His prize, a handsome new leather recliner will be delivered later this week, my early Christmas gift....for the next ten years!

It's after 5 o'clock now, I see the light at the end of the tunnel.....I'm peering in through my own windows like a would-be burglar trying to see if I have a 'farmhouse' floor instead of the squishy, dusty beige carpet now bundled up on the driveway waiting to be hauled off. I think it's going well......tomorrow, when another dawn arrives I'll know for sure. This evening, once alone, we'll eat, drink, fall into bed, and think about all the cleaning ahead tomorrow, the next day, and definitely another after that.

Later: I love it - they did a super job and cleaned up well. Mike, the company owner, stopped by and sat in the gazebo with us - we were embarrassed we couldn't offer him a drink as the sun went down, the kitchen was still off-limits! He's lovely, and coming back tomorrow with a special floor cleaning package.  

Oh yes, the bad? Quite honestly, I don't see any tonight - will double check in the light of dawn tomorrow.  
Nighty night.


  1. Whew... so glad all turned out well in the end. Sounds like some stressful moments leading up to it.
    It's hard to have everything discombobulated like that... especially the kitchen.
    I know it will look so beautiful when everything is back in it's proper place. I can't wait to see it.

  2. It's nice to have an update so soon Mary, and it sounds like the crew did the job in record time. I hope you and Bob have a good sleep and can make coffee or tea in the morning. Hugs, Pam

  3. I always love reading your blog, I can't wait to see the finished floors!

  4. How exciting! I hope you love it in the morning light.
    Oh and a leather recliner for Bob. I know he will love it.
    Looking at our old recliner, I am wishing to replace it with
    something more special. I am on pins and needles to
    see your new floor. Love that first picture so much.

  5. It sounds good - the waiting is always the hardest part for me. Just think of the lovely floors you'll be enjoying!!

  6. It will be so nice, but I do sympathise...it's difficult when you have nowhere to go! A gazebo is a good place to hide!

  7. I can rely to you so well.....http://gracieplace.wordpress.com/2013/10/15/through-hell/


I would enjoy reading your comment - thanks so much for stopping by.